Mods.. a question regarding posts

typhoon43

2[H]4U
I finally have to ask this since I use these forums at my work for a lot of help. I've noticed that the main SysAdmin/Network Guru segment haunts this forum. As a fellow Admin, when I need help, I tend to come here. Yet most of my questions aren't regarding switches/NAT, but rather with Exchange/AD/SUS, and RIS. Would this fall under the scope of the Operating Systems forum? Just rtying to make sure I post in the right place, but all the times I've posted something regarding DHCP scope rollovers or whatever, the OS forum just looks at me funny like "WTH are you posting that for? We have no clue".

Thanks,

(can you tell I'm about to launch a salvo of questions regarding the changes made in Server 2003 RIS?) :D

Personally, I'd post that here...

Just cause its questions like that would be more of a Network issue more than a OS issue.

Thats what Im thinking...

Ya... I concur...

To be frank.. i've never been to the O/S forum... always thought it was for simple windows help...

I consider this a Network Admin/Sys admin group personally.

RIS/AD/DHCP are all network related, so I think this is where it belongs.

This is a really good question. I guess it depends on the context of the question being asked. For instance, if you need help configuring DNS or DHCP on a Windows server, it may be more appropriate asking it in OS since its a function of the Server operating system. Now if you had a problem with something like why DNS or DHCP traffic wasn't getting from one segment to another, then this would be the place to ask about it.

This is a good question, I can see where there might be some crossover. I think Bob hits it with his post. I look at this topic as more networking hardware and networking in general.

Yeah I agree with Bob, but look at Dark's answer and you'll see why I'm concerned: the main "brain-tank" resides here in the Networking forums, and we have some very smart SysAdmins that don't even look over there. I guess i'm just wondering that if I do need to post these in OS, could you guys take a look over there every once in a while? I hop both when I try to help, and after trying to get RIS on a 2003 Server to image a machine with an Intel Pro100VE NIC, I'm almost at wiots end today...and I have 65 machines just sitting in boxes around my office lookign at me funny like "What's up there ya punk Admin? Not smart enough to figure this out?"

Originally posted by typhoon43
Yeah I agree with Bob, but look at Dark's answer and you'll see why I'm concerned: the main "brain-tank" resides here in the Networking forums, and we have some very smart SysAdmins that don't even look over there. I guess i'm just wondering that if I do need to post these in OS, could you guys take a look over there every once in a while? I hop both when I try to help, and after trying to get RIS on a 2003 Server to image a machine with an Intel Pro100VE NIC, I'm almost at wiots end today...and I have 65 machines just sitting in boxes around my office lookign at me funny like "What's up there ya punk Admin? Not smart enough to figure this out?"
Time to take a day off when 65 computers start dissing you like that. hehe

I think the reason why most people post here is because this is where all the people with knowledge hang around. Topics like Active directory are posted here very often, but where else should they go?

Originally posted by Wiseguy2001
I think the reason why most people post here is because this is where all the people with knowledge hang around. Topics like Active directory are posted here very often, but where else should they go?
Yeah, I agree... Topics like Active Directory are obviously Windows-related, but I feel it has more relevance with networking and that more people who browse this forum would know more than those in Operating Systems. In general.

Originally posted by typhoon43
Exchange/AD/SUS, and RIS

those are more "network services" and "network applications" than OS related questions...

so yes, your questions i think would probably belong here... although Richard or Bob have the last say on that of course ;)

Originally posted by FLECOM
those are more "network services" and "network applications" than OS related questions...

so yes, your questions i think would probably belong here... although Richard or Bob have the last say on that of course ;)

But, Exchange/AD/SUS, and RIS are Windows (OS) network type applications, and you would find them only in a Windows enviroment. I am not saying that Networking is the right place, but does show some crossover to networking.

The problem I see is that by posting in the OS forum you might get guys that aren't great in networking. Any admin of Exchange, AD, or SUS should be worth his salt in networking, since these things dont function without networking and they interact a LOT with it.

I'd say post it here, if you dont get a good answer, try the OS forum. Would it hurt to post both places?

Cross posting is generally not allowed. However, if it looks like its better suited in a another forum, we can always move a thread and leave a redirect in the original forum. This way people from both forums can see it and you don't get thread duplication in the database.

Originally posted by Zardoz
But, Exchange/AD/SUS, and RIS are Windows (OS) network type applications, and you would find them only in a Windows enviroment. I am not saying that Networking is the right place, but does show some crossover to networking.

well, yes, and no... OS is for OS... like operating system issues... last time i checked Exchange is not an operating system ;)

its probably bigger than most OS's but alas, its not ;)

so really if you want to be picky you could argue that it belongs in general software...

do you get pissed when people post pics of servers in the "post pics of your network" thread? why not? with your same arguement you could say that servers are *technically* not "network" equipment, they are just computers.... so they belong in general hardware :p

you see what i mean?

a lot of topics can overlap multiple forums... but in this case, most of these apps are for network services/servers, so *I* personally would post them here... :)

do you get pissed when people post pics of servers in the "post pics of your network" thread? why not?
Probably not since people rarely post ANY pictures in that thread. :p

well, yes, and no... OS is for OS... like operating system issues... last time i checked Exchange is not an operating system ;)

its probably bigger than most OS's but alas, its not ;)

so really if you want to be picky you could argue that it belongs in general software...

do you get pissed when people post pics of servers in the "post pics of your network" thread? why not? with your same arguement you could say that servers are *technically* not "network" equipment, they are just computers.... so they belong in general hardware :p

you see what i mean?

a lot of topics can overlap multiple forums... but in this case, most of these apps are for network services/servers, so *I* personally would post them here... :)

I am by no means mad at anyone... I am not saying that exchange is an OS at all, but a Server app that has to do with email. I can also see it where you could post an exchange problem or question in general software, but I also think you will get a better responce in OS or even more so in networking. ! am saying is there is some overlap. Your going to get that, but it's all good.

As for pics, I think we all like them. I know I do. I only wish there was some hot chics with the server rack pics, kind of like hot rod mags :D

Originally posted by ipconfig /all

:p it's all good... I do also with there was less chatter and more pics!

Originally posted by Zardoz
I am by no means mad at anyone... I am not saying that exchange is an OS at all, but a Server app that has to do with email. I can also see it where you could post an exchange problem or question in general software, but I also think you will get a better responce in OS or even more so in networking. ! am saying is there is some overlap. Your going to get that, but it's all good.

As for pics, I think we all like them. I know I do. I only wish there was some hot chics with the server rack pics, kind of like hot rod mags :D

lol i didnt say you were mad :p

hrmm... "in this months edition chicks in 19 racks!" :D

Originally posted by ipconfig /all

I've been thinking about some pics but I can't do it...the server room here is just a disaster area. Many of you have great, ultra tidy rooms with super clean cabling. Ours sucks. Really. It looks like a pasta chef exploded all over the rack.

It isn't something I feel like I can share. :D

Oh, and FLECOM, better a chick in a 19" rack than a chick with a 19" rack! :eek:

Originally posted by TrueBuckeye
I've been thinking about some pics but I can't do it...the server room here is just a disaster area. Many of you have great, ultra tidy rooms with super clean cabling. Ours sucks. Really. It looks like a pasta chef exploded all over the rack.

It isn't something I feel like I can share. :D
We've all had to deal with shitty wiring in our jobs at one time or another. It's not always our fault and if it's working, it's hard to justify the time to rewire. Here is a pic of one my IDFs that a CCNA class wired. (this was before I started working there) I had to deal with this mess for quite a while before I got around to tearing the whole thing down.
CSD_CHS_IDF_before-rewire.jpg

Maybe we should have a "Post pics of your poor wiring jobs and substandard network hardware" ??

Back