Modest overclock for this new E6600 system...?

WATYF

n00b
I just bought all of this:

Mobo: Asus P5B
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600
HS/F: Scythe Ninja
RAM: Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB Kit DDR2-800 XMS2-6400
GPU: eVGA 256-P2-N584-AR GeForce 7900GT (KO)
HDD: WD Raptor WD1500ADFD
DVD-RW: Benq DW1650
Case: Antec P150

First off... anyone see any problems with that? I was gonna go with OCZ Gold RAM, but then I read pretty much everywhere that it has problems with the Asus boards (and others).

I need the Asus board for maximum stability. My main concern is rock-solid stability because of certain high-end, extremely sensitive software that I work with (they pretty much only "recommend" Asus boards). I figured the Corsair was a good choice as well for stability.

Anyway... my question is... what's the best way to do a mild overclock on this system to get it around the E6700 range. I'm going to be using passive cooling (as you can see) so I don't want to be pushing it... I just want a modest OC.

WATYF

Good choice and will go down well and very easy to overclock is the conroe , also with the memory you have chosen you should get a decent one GHZ increase but after that dont bother , you might be able to increase the overclock to 4ghz but it performs about 5% better than if you left it at 3.4ghz , so in effect its not worth going to 4ghz.

The reason for this is that intels memory bandwidth is quite effecient and can only be made use of with tight latencies , so after passing the 3.4ghz mark you will lose the latencies and will lose performance and efficency, also see very little , next to nothing gain.

However you can higher if only you have tight latencies , but if you dont then dont bother.

With the fx62 its different , the conroe makes most of everything whiilst the AM2 has a lot of bandwidth but the cpu cant provide the power.

Also the P5B is a nice board to overclock for a starter , with very lttle options but that said enough to get a very good overclock. You basically put your ram at about 65-80% what its rated at and put 1:1 ratio and work yourself up and increase voltage (vcore) when needed be. Leave the ram vdimm on auto.

At the end when your happy with your final overclock then tighten the latencies up.

OK. I didn't totally understand all that, but thanks. :p

I really don't think I'll be OC'ing it that much (i.e. 1 GHz or more)... I really was thinking more along the lines of a simple OC that wouldn't affect stability in the least.

The E6700 runs at 2.67, and if I up the FSB on mine to 300 I can get to 2.7 (vs the stock 2.4) which is slightly higher than the E6700... and that would be fine with me. But I don't have to mess with voltages or anything, right? If I'm just doing a minor OC, then just upping the FSB a little is enough, right?

WATYF

yea im interested in that also, if im doing a modest oc uppin only to like 300 to 333 with the stock multiplyer, dont need to mess with volts or anything else ya? Such a small OC should deff be stable I think altho I will still be runnin prime to test it afterwards.

Btw should I be uppin it in smaller portions or a leap to 333 is ok since its below a 100mhz increase really....

I jumped from 266mhz to 300mhz fsb out of the box and it booted fine. You'll have no trouble at all getting to e6700 speeds if that's what you're aiming for. I hit a wall around 2.75ghz and bumped the ram voltage up a notch and was able to get 2.85 and that's what I'm running it at for now. This board won't let me adjust vcore for the cpu so I won't try to go any further.

rapperwith1p said:
I jumped from 266mhz to 300mhz fsb out of the box and it booted fine. You'll have no trouble at all getting to e6700 speeds if that's what you're aiming for. I hit a wall around 2.75ghz and bumped the ram voltage up a notch and was able to get 2.85 and that's what I'm running it at for now. This board won't let me adjust vcore for the cpu so I won't try to go any further.
That's exactly the type of stuff I wanted to hear about... thanks.

OK... so a simple 300 FSB bump will get me to 2.7GHz. I'll be running faster than an E6700, but still within a perfectly stable range.

WATYF

WATYF said:
That's exactly the type of stuff I wanted to hear about... thanks.

OK... so a simple 300 FSB bump will get me to 2.7GHz. I'll be running faster than an E6700, but still within a perfectly stable range.

WATYF
Would this modest amount of overclocking likely work on a system with 333 mhz ddr ram? The motherboard I'm considering is the hybrid ASROCK 775Dual-VSTA.

that asrock mother board is pretty much for the bottom of the barrel budget system. The performance compared to 965 and 975 chipsets is significantly lower. I too was considering tht board, but then it pretty much defeats the point of going core 2. unless you've gotsomething like a pD, or a athlon XP, but still so much performance lost with that board.

menlatin said:
that asrock mother board is pretty much for the bottom of the barrel budget system. The performance compared to 965 and 975 chipsets is significantly lower. I too was considering tht board, but then it pretty much defeats the point of going core 2. unless you've gotsomething like a pD, or a athlon XP, but still so much performance lost with that board.
I'm an Athlon XP user. This upgrade will save me around $500 versus a performance motherboard which would require a new videocard and ram. And it would still give a great performance boost over the existing PC.

hhmm... yeah i guess this would be good for you. Looks like you are exactly their target market.

menlatin said:

I think you are dead wrong about the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA:

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2797&p=10

It would be a great choice for a stock system.

aldamon said:
I think you are dead wrong about the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA:

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2797&p=10

It would be a great choice for a stock system.
I ahave to agree with you , for people who want to overclock there cpu to about 3.5ghz i would think this is perfect.

Also with the conroe i see more potential at 3.5ghz than i do at 4ghz where your cpu is fast but your ram cant provide the bandwidth.When i get my mobo i am going to see what it gets to but later put it at a good balance and the optimum level Eclipse has taught me.

Conroe is very different than any other cpu to date.The conroe the ram becomes the bottleneck after a certain point. The latencies have to be tight all the way for conroe , a very demanding CPU

nooh said:
I ahave to agree with you , for people who want to overclock there cpu to about 3.5ghz i would think this is perfect.

Also with the conroe i see more potential at 3.5ghz than i do at 4ghz where your cpu is fast but your ram cant provide the bandwidth.When i get my mobo i am going to see what it gets to but later put it at a good balance and the optimum level Eclipse has taught me.

Conroe is very different than any other cpu to date.The conroe the ram becomes the bottleneck after a certain point. The latencies have to be tight all the way for conroe , a very demanding CPU

What are you talking about? I said the 775 would be good for a stock system. The 775 has a VIA chipset and will stink for overclocking, Conroe has plenty of memory bandwidth (even at 4 GHz), and timings aren't important to it at all.

aldamon said:
What are you talking about? I said the 775 would be good for a stock system. The 775 has a VIA chipset and will stink for overclocking, Conroe has plenty of memory bandwidth (even at 4 GHz), and timings aren't important to it at all.

I've got the Dual VSTA board running at 300FSB. Only reason I went with this board is that I've held off this long to go PCIE, might as well wait a few more months and get a DX10 card when they're out.

I can incrementally upgrade from where I am to where I'm going. eg. upgrade to PCIE gfx later, upgrade to DDRII later, upgrade to quad core later. In the mean time, I've more than doubled my system speed for ~$366 (grand total).

Then when all the dust settles, and mobo prices re-enter the atmosphere. I can pick the modern equivalent of the IC7-Max3 and have a no compromise system.

To the OP- what do you mean by "passive cooling"? do you mean you're going to use the ninja without the fan? If so, you're going to need some serious case ventilation with the heat load from the CPU, GPU, NB, and HD's

Back