Modern Warfare 2: Most Pirated Game of 2009

Over Christmas, I was talking to my cousins that I'm not going to be buying the game whatsoever. They asked why, gave them the same reasons everyone else is boycotting them for, and they just starred at me.

These are the same kids that wanted me to play WoW, like it's OMG AMAZING!

I feel like one too sometimes, I'm like guess what I bought for my computer:

An ATi 5870

First response: "Cool, is that like better than a 9800 GTX."
Second response: "Speaking of which I bet my mobile 4670 is better than that!"

:confused:

For investors and stockholders, its less about profit and more about profit margins. Kotick is intentionally running their PC market into the ground so they can argue making only console games are profitable. They'll have higher profits if they make PC games, but better profit margins if they stick to consoles.

This was their plan all along with gimping the PC version.

1.Make a horrible port to PC and gimp it every step of the way
2.Expect piracy for above reasons
3.Announce high piracy rates
4.Announce no longer making games on PC due to piracy
5.???
6.PROFIT!!!

What is sad is the majority of the world doesnt care, so its inevitable that the plan will work. I just hope other publishers dont follow suit.

See, they fail to see when they kill off PC gaming and its console only that people from the PC community will start downloading console games and more console hacks/mods are gonna come out. Or they will make emulators to have console games running on the computer just like the old nintendo games and it falls in the same loop they will still torrent the game. So it really doesn't matter.

But then again, everyone thinks I'm crazy or an idiot when I bring shit up like this. Oh well.

Too expensive, too short, gimped multiplayer.

So no I didn't buy it.

I hate pirates. But I hate IW even more so I'll just laugh my ass.

The game wouldn't have sold the numbers it did if it wasn't for the huge sum of cash dumped into it's "world of warcraft" style advertising campaign. In America they just blanketed the airwaves with MW2 tv ads for weeks.

Ok not quite. Got them for $40 and $30 respectively. Bestbuy. Thought MW2 was $70. Some PS3 games are that much.
MW2 PS3 @ Target - $39.99
MW2 PS3 @ Best Buy - $39.99
In this time, I died. 35-0 and I died because of the fucking host change. really cool stuff.
I'm not as much of a supreme badass as you obviously are, but I will say that on the 360, I've only had 3 host migrations over 3 weeks and I've never died because of one. Total time for recovery is like 15 seconds and we always start off exactly where we were.

Man so many of you fail to see the point. Matchmaking has been around long before MW2 and works just fine.I love my DEDI's like anyone who grew up with classic PC fps'es but I don't see the issues you "hardcore gamers" are having. And alot of your people dont know the difference between personal opinion and actual fact.

Now yes I understand that the lack of dedi's sucks and is a step down from the normal pc way of doing things, but its just because they mimicked the matchmaking from the consoles. If you are so concerned on such a stupid matter that doesnt have much to do with playing the actual game, I feel bad fo ryous and gaming will just not be the thing for yous in the near future.

i love how everyone ignores the fact that a gamr like street fighter 43, great price, incredible port of a genre abadonded by developers got pirated nearly 2 million times.

need the speed shift the pc need for speed in long time gets pirated well over 1 million.

prototype which most will say the pc version is the best verision pirated over 2 million times.

the only people running pc games into the ground are the thieves.

yeah they said this about crysis.

LOL GUESS WHAT GAME SOLD OVER 3 MILLION (read: a fucking shitload for a PC exclusive game, especially of its requirements) COPIES ANYWAY?

sorry, i can't edit my post. :confused:

why is valve never on these lists? according to them, pirates are under-served customers...
their games shit value, they will personally respond to your emails, steam is a great platform, etc.

they have an enormous sale and suddenly loads of people are coming on board, apparently enough to even offset the sale and turn a profit. win/win for valve and their customers. even people that may have previously pirated it, obviously they can't play on real servers with a cracked copy. suddenly the game is on sale for something silly like 75% off and OH MAN OH MAN TOO GOOD A DEAL TO PASS UP SIGN ME UP

In the same vein, they did do a good job with advertising. If nothing else, MW2 is a great advertising success.

so it's the mac of fps games

underwhelming and overmarketed... awesome.

pay more get less, marketing at it's finest.

You also have to remember that lack of options drove sales up exponentially.

What other FPS for PC was released around the same time as MW2? There is a complete lack of options when it comes to multiplayer FPS these days. My list of complaints with MW2 is too long to list. One of the gripes is the MASSIVE step backward in coop multiplayer. 2 player instead of 4. No co-op campaign, just co-op "missions" so you can't share a story line with some buddies. The co-op in CoD5 was ridiculously fun.

*sigh*

... they just don't give a shit about the people buying these games. We are so desperate for a good game, that we'll buy EVERY game just for the chance that 1 in 10 is worth it. So depressing.

The coop missions are pretty sweet though. Some of them are freaking difficult. I use them for when I need to practice the fundamentals with a buddy. Am I upset that the single-player wasn't coop? Not really. Apparently not too many others were either.

What I am trying to grasp is how people are correlating their personal dislike for the game to the developers not caring about gaming or the "community". Really? We have so many great games to play on PC or console that don't you think that maybe one game doesn't have to have it all if it can do what it does very well?

Side note: Wasn't MW1 the most pirated game of its time also?

Back