Modern warfare 2+ eyefinity = fail

You like the look of stretched images because next to no fps (or maybe none at all for all I know) games support this aspect ratio properly? Interesting....
Uh, maybe you missed my thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1457225

There are a metric assload of games that work fine with Eyefinity.

Err... the only way to keep the same FOV and increase the aspect ratio is to do vert scaling(cut off top and bottom of screen and make everything 'bigger')...which sucks.
You're still confused about FOV vs Aspect ratio *sigh*. I suppose it's time for a visual aid (these are from Fallout 3).

Game aspect ratio 16:10 | Screen aspect ratio 16:10 | FOV 90
69125356.png

Game aspect ratio 16:10 | Screen aspect ratio 48:10 | FOV 90 (this one had to be done in photoshop, as Fallout 3 doesn't actually support this aspect ratio mismatch like the COD series does)
2285067.jpg

Game aspect ratio 48:10 | Screen aspect ratio 48:10 | FOV 90
98470583.jpg

The FOV is identical in all three of those screenshots, the only thing changing is the aspect ratio. Fallout 3 is an example of a Hor+ game, meaning the FOV is locked vertically, but expands horizontally as the aspect ratio increases (this is the correct way to handle FOV).

You only get a vertically cropped image when the FOV is locked horizontally, which some shitty EA games like Battlefield 2142 are known to do.

Last edited:
Uh, maybe you missed my thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1457225

You're still confused about FOV vs Aspect ratio *sigh*. I suppose it's time for a visual aid (these are from Fallout 3).

69125356.png

Game aspect ratio 16:10 | Screen aspect ratio 48:10 | FOV 90 (this one had to be done in photoshop, as Fallout 3 doesn't actually support this aspect ratio mismatch like the COD series does)
2285067.jpg

98470583.jpg

The FOV is identical in all three of those screenshots, the only thing changing is the aspect ratio. Fallout 3 is an example of a Hor+ game, meaning the FOV is locked vertically, but expands horizontally as the aspect ratio increases (this is the correct way to handle FOV).

You only get a vertically cropped image when the FOV is locked horizontally, which some shitty EA games like Battlefield 2142 are known to do.

How does anything I said not apply? The sides are still stretched. Most of those screenshots look decent but it's still not technically supported by those games.

I absolutely understand fov, hell I play quakelive at 115.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. If you see more to the sides then your field of view is indeed changing. The fov you set in games is usually what is shown on a 4:3 display. So, if you are doing 16:10 and it does the correct aspect ratio scaling as you are showing then it is "automatically" scaling the fov to the aspect ratio(~100 for a 90 fov setting
).

How does anything I said not apply? The sides are still stretched. Most of those screenshots look decent but it's still not technically supported by those games.
None of the screenshots in the triple-head screenshot thread are stretched. What exactly are you talking about? If you're referring to the "fish eye" effect that some people complain about, then it's time for a lesson in how video game cameras and optics work.

The farther away objects get from the center of the screen, the wider they become. This happens even on a single monitor (go on, look for yourself). This is not a problem with Eyefinity, this is how every game camera known to man works.

You need to realize that a given FOV is only correct when viewed a certain distance from the monitor, staring at the dead center of the screen. The higher the FOV, the closer you have to sit for the image to appear correct to you. You can see the same "fisheye distortion" on single-screen setups when the FOV is cranked up too high. I'm sure you know how you solve that problem; turn down the FOV or sit closer.

The same thing holds true for eyefinity; if you're seeing fisheye distortion when looking at the dead center of the middle monitor, you're either sitting too far away, or the FOV is too high.

When you're looking at screenshots of eyefinity on a single monitor, they're tiny; they've been shrunk down so you can view the whole thing at once. To view such screenshots properly for the FOV they're set at, you would have to push your nose against the screen. When those images are full size filling up three full monitors, they can be viewed properly at normal sitting distance from the screens.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. If you see more to the sides then your field of view is indeed changing. The fov you set in games is usually what is shown on a 4:3 display. So, if you are doing 16:10 and it does the correct aspect ratio scaling as you are showing then it is "automatically" scaling the fov to the aspect ratio(~100 for a 90 fov setting).
Still not getting it I see. Read the very last part of my post (below the screenshots) a little more carefully.

The vertical FOV is fixed, it stays 90 at all times (does not change), that's what the FOV value is controlling. Those screenshots of Fallout 3 all show an identical vertical FOV (you see the same distance up-and-down in all of them). Since the vertical is fixed, when you increase the aspect ratio, you gain more horizontal screen space (no cropping). Even so, the game still recognizes a fixed vertical FOV of 90.

Last edited:
Still not getting it I see. Read the very last part of my post (below the screenshots) a little more carefully.

The vertical FOV is fixed, it stays 90 at all times (does not change), that's what the FOV value is controlling. Those screenshots of Fallout 3 all show an identical vertical FOV (you see the same distance up-and-down in all of them). Since the vertical is fixed, when you increase the aspect ratio, you gain more horizontal screen space (no cropping). Even so, the game still recognizes a fixed vertical FOV of 90.

Yep, I missed the part after the screenshot and you are correct. I was assuming you were talking about horizontal fov.

A tad off topic but why do people want to run FPS's like that?

The idea of "Triple" displays was to allow flight simulator pilots and car simulator drivers to see more of the view pie. In FPSs your gun placement is going to be off not to mention that your view is going to look artificially wide.

Strange comment. Why would your gun view be off? The middle of the three screens shows exactly what you'd see in your single monitor setup. The same gun placement. The side screens would simply reveal more of the gaming world without changing anything in your middle screen.

As a recent Eyefinity convert, let me just say I haven't had this much fun and interest in PC gaming for a LONG time. Eyefinity works fine with quite a few FPS games and boy does it expand your gaming experience and immersion.

Games such as HL2, L4D, and Bioshock work just fine with Eyefinity and highly enhances the experience. BTW, WidescreenFixer now supports MW2 so I'm satisfied. You see so much more of the environment within the game without sacrificing your central viewpoint, so I'm not sure where you guys are getting the notion that Eyefinity is only good for flightsims and racing games. Have you personally tried it in FPS games?

98470583.jpg

Nice visual aid. I don't think the comments critical about Eyefinity really understand what it's about.

You see EXACTLY the same viewpoint on your middle screen as you'd see with a single monitor. Eyefinity does one thing that I think all gamers should want: It expands your field of view left and right *without* changing your existing middle view. This adds tremendous immersion not to mention the advantage you'd have in seeing more game world than your fellow gamer.

It's strange to see people say this only benefits flightsims and racing games when it adds so much more immersion and intensity to such games as HL2, Bioshock and Fallout3. Even games such as Torchlight and Dragon Age open up a whole new dimension.

BTW, WidescreenFixer now supports MW2 so I'm satisfied. You see so much more of the environment within the game without sacrificing your central viewpoint, so I'm not sure where you guys are getting the notion that Eyefinity is only good for flightsims and racing games. Have you personally tried it in FPS games?

Thanks for the heads-up, going to try moving my monitors back to landscape and test it.

Thanks for the heads-up, going to try moving my monitors back to landscape and test it.

No problem. Found out about it at widescreengamingforum. This is my first Call of Duty game on the PC and I'm amazed by how good the controls feel. There's no perceptible lag even with vsync on (unlike Bioshock).

With Eyefinity expanding the claustrophobic FOV of MW2, it's a whole new game now. I'm loving it!

69125356.png

2285067.jpg

98470583.jpg

Gah how did you get fallout 3 to work, I can't figure out how to make it run at 5760x1080 for eyefinity. :( It won't let me select above 1920x1080 and if I manually enter it into the .ini file it crashes on launch.

Last edited:
A tad off topic but why do people want to run FPS's like that?

The idea of "Triple" displays was to allow flight simulator pilots and car simulator drivers to see more of the view pie. In FPSs your gun placement is going to be off not to mention that your view is going to look artificially wide.

dude. peripheral vision. that's HUGE in an FPS

and in terms of "artficially wide" views - once you set the FOV correctly (see wsgf forums and site) you don't get that.

I concur in that, the additional FOV rocks for FPS games.. I am really happy with eyefinity so far!

Didn't read the whole thread, but if no one has already mentioned it, this issue has been addressed by "DopeFish" of the Wide Screen Forums (click for 7680x1600):

I play MP daily using the Widescreen Fixer he made. Version 2.0 has already been updated for the 1.0.175 patch

Back