Modems- More than one, etc.

mpic92

Limp Gawd
Can you have more than one modem in one house hold or is there a reason with the ISP (Comcast) where you would only be permitted to using one without paying a whole lot more. Could I just go out and get a high quality modem and connect it to a cable jack in my house and use that?

You could have more than one, but it will not connect until you setup additional service. You won't be able to just plug another modem in and have free additional service.

Will it just cost twice as much as what I'm paying now for a single modem?

Okay well never mind, I get the idea. How hard is it to replace the modem I currently have? I have a Comcast/Linksys Gateway that Comcast supplied us with which acts as both a modem and router. It's the WCG200 model. I'm not sure if this modem is as good as others out there such as the Motorola SB5120.

I've heard of this working with some cable companies. You can buy a second router and then make it's mac address the same as the first and you will receive service. One of the companies that comes to mind would be road runner. I dont' know about comcast.

Knowing Comcast, it won't be possible but I'll try to find out. The reason I as it because I have a coax cable jack in a room but no access to the internet since the gateway I have is on the other side of my house. It would save me from having to wire an Ethernet cable across my house if this does work... I'll try Comcast forums and see if they can give me an answer over there.

Back