Modem Troubles.

Casper312

[H]ard|Gawd
So pretty much, when leaving my modem downloading things overnight or for a long period of time (1GB+ Files takes a bit @ 40kb/s), randomly my modem/internet will basically freeze, and the activity light will blink at a 1-2 sec rate, while i can not connect to the internet on the computer. To fix it, i have to basically restart the modem to do so.

Its getting very annoying, I recently started playing battlefield 2 and downloading large mods are basically impossible, So i have to download via torrents :(

My modem is a Siemens Speedstream 4100, on At&t Crappy internet.

I know I have found a lot of modems and routers under books and stacks of paper. These devices need to breathe and were overheating. If yours isn't under anything you can still check to see if it is getting hot by putting your hand on it. Warm is fine but hot is not.(obviously)

The USR Courier V.Everything modems were/are the best modems known to man.. Here is one on Ebay..

Here..

I had one before it got struck by lightning. Every modem after that was nothing in comparison. The USR would never disconnect even if someone in the house accidentally picked up the phone.

Riley

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sorry, my bad...

The following tipped me off to dial-up:
- I read the 40kb/sec (kilobits/sec, not kilobytes)
- File transfers running overnight
- AT&T crappy internet..

I've used the speedstreams before so I should have figured it out..

Regardless, the Courier V.Everything modemd still kick ass.. :)

Riley

torrenting is creating too many half-opens and open connections, causing the router part of the modem to crap out.

best bet would be to change it to a bridge, and purchase a good router that can handle torrent connections.

that DLink OmegaAvenger posted a link to would work also, and just completely replace that Siemens unit.

Sounds good, that newegg one seems perfect as well since i have a new laptop that needs internet connection as well.

As for heat issues, it is warm, but not over the top overheating, Im a see how this weekend goes with bills (New phone=brokeness) and maybe ill squeeze it in and come back and see if it fixed it.

Thanks folks.

Back