• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Modem stopped working after a problem installing SP2 on Windows XP

Jason

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 20, 2003
Messages
490
I recently downloaded and tried to install SP2. There was an error during installation and the installation did not complete properly. I went to Add/Remove Programs and uninstalled the service pack. Upon rebooting my system, I went to connect to the internet, only to find my modem wasn't working. I got an "Error 633" mentioning something about a problem about being unable to open a port. I went into my device manager and uninstalled then reinstalled the modem. I've made sure all settings are at the manufacturer's default. I'm sure the phone line is working. I tried changing the COM port. I've even tried physically moving the modem to a different PCI slot. Nothing has worked thus far.

Any ideas?

**EDIT** I was slightly off on the error message. It's this. 633 The port is already in use or is not configured for Remote Access dialout.
 
put your modem back to it's original slot and try using system restore to revert back to when things were running fine.
 
Back
Top