Halp! lol
This is my pretty basic "network" setup at home:
I hope my leet drawing skills make the setup clear.
If not, here's how it is:
- DSL modem is hooked up in one room connected to a Linksys BEFSR81 8 port router. There is a PC connected to this router. Internet works fine.
- The router has a cable going to a PC and to another room in the house where there is a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. I placed the WRT54G in this room because its more centralized and thus, the wireless can reach the edges of the house better. If I hook up the wireless router next to the DSL modem, the computers in the room farthest away from it won't get signal.
- There is another PC connected w/ cat 5 cable to the WRT54G
- There are 2 other PCs in another room that connect to the WRT54G's wifi
The problem is, that all the computers that are connected to the WRT54G have really crappy connections... streaming video is impossible and whenever I try downloading a file that's over 5mb, the connection will "stall" and the WRT54G just kinda dies for a few minutes, to the point where all the computers on the WRT54G lose all access.
I know the cabling is not the problem because I've tried connecting my laptop to the BEFSR81 using Cat5 and it works fine there. I then try my laptop in the "middle" room, using the cat 5 cable that plugs into the WRT54G and it works fine there.
The problem is obviously the WRT54G's setup since, it works just fine if I hook it up where the BEFSR81 is (directly to the DSL modem). So, help me with the settings plz!
I updated both router's firmwares to the latest ones and nothing changed. I then downloaded the Tomato Firmware for the WRT54G cuz I've heard really good things about it.
http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato
And it is super nice, but that didn't fix the problem either. /cry
Currently, the settings are as follows:
BEFSR81 - everything pretty much set to default (except PPPoE to get the DSL modem to connect, DHCP enabled, etc)
WRT54G - also everything pretty much set to default except a few port forwarding settings for BitTorrent stuff.
/prays to [H] networking gawds
save me obi WAN kenobi (see what i did there?)
you're my only hope
This is my pretty basic "network" setup at home:
I hope my leet drawing skills make the setup clear.
If not, here's how it is:
- DSL modem is hooked up in one room connected to a Linksys BEFSR81 8 port router. There is a PC connected to this router. Internet works fine.
- The router has a cable going to a PC and to another room in the house where there is a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. I placed the WRT54G in this room because its more centralized and thus, the wireless can reach the edges of the house better. If I hook up the wireless router next to the DSL modem, the computers in the room farthest away from it won't get signal.
- There is another PC connected w/ cat 5 cable to the WRT54G
- There are 2 other PCs in another room that connect to the WRT54G's wifi
The problem is, that all the computers that are connected to the WRT54G have really crappy connections... streaming video is impossible and whenever I try downloading a file that's over 5mb, the connection will "stall" and the WRT54G just kinda dies for a few minutes, to the point where all the computers on the WRT54G lose all access.
I know the cabling is not the problem because I've tried connecting my laptop to the BEFSR81 using Cat5 and it works fine there. I then try my laptop in the "middle" room, using the cat 5 cable that plugs into the WRT54G and it works fine there.
The problem is obviously the WRT54G's setup since, it works just fine if I hook it up where the BEFSR81 is (directly to the DSL modem). So, help me with the settings plz!
I updated both router's firmwares to the latest ones and nothing changed. I then downloaded the Tomato Firmware for the WRT54G cuz I've heard really good things about it.
http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato
And it is super nice, but that didn't fix the problem either. /cry
Currently, the settings are as follows:
BEFSR81 - everything pretty much set to default (except PPPoE to get the DSL modem to connect, DHCP enabled, etc)
WRT54G - also everything pretty much set to default except a few port forwarding settings for BitTorrent stuff.
/prays to [H] networking gawds
save me obi WAN kenobi (see what i did there?)
you're my only hope