Modem problems, HELP!

xarcturas

n00b
Hello, I'm a dial up user, (sad, i know) and normally connect at 46.000 kb/s. within the last three days, all it connects at is 28.000... I called tech support (thinking it was the access number) but in the end it wasnt... Can anyone tell me what the problem might be? its been 46.000 for a year.. then suddenly 28... Im using a Zoom v. 92 faxmodem

If you're convinced that it's not on your provider's end and you haven't changed any settings on your own PC, there's always the possibility that it could be a problem somewhere along the telephone line.

I'm not sure where you live, but if you've been having precipitation or snow melt or whatnot, there may be a water problem. I've seen this happen on both dial-up and DSL connections. I'd say give it a little time and see if it clears up.

Thanks alot man, it did just snow (and melt) and it melted from the rain lol.. How long do these things take?

That depends on the conditions, but if you've had consistently higher speeds for a year solid, I'd guess that it won't take too long to clear up.

I'd say enjoy your Christmas, and if it's still a problem in a couple of days, follow it up then.

Things to try (including non-water-related):

-Different ISP access numbers
-A different phone jack in your house
-A different PC or modem
-Calling your phone company and asking if there are any known problems with the line -if not, and you've tried the other things above, hopefully they will look into it for you.

how depressing.. I dont know what it is..

i have the best drivers, i bought a new modem (connects at same crappy speed)
I tried a diff phone line (same speed) I uhm, called at&t and they said theres nothing wrong,... tried a diff phone cord... its been like 4 days, and my friend down the road (uses same access number) is connecting at normal speed... any other suggestions?

btw i cant enjoy christmas becuz my family doesnt really get gifts

Well, that pretty much rules out my first guess. The fact that your friend uses the same number and is on the same road says there is not likely to be anything wrong with the company's phone cable. However, there's still the possibility that something is wrong in your house.

Here's a fun idea (if you can pull it off)... Take your PC to your friend's house and plug it in exactly where he does and see what your connection is like. You could also try it the other way around -bringing his PC to plug into your house. Using deductive logic ...that should tell you if it's a PC problem or a wiring problem.

Of course, once you isolate the problem, figuring out what to do is another issue... but it's a place to go next, if it's worth it to you.

well shit, I brought a friends laptop in, connected it where i connect mine, and his connected at normal speed... so now i KNOW its MY computer..

I have 1 older modem (zoom modem) and 1 newer modem (also zoom) I was thinkin it was the drivers.. But I dont know,... what do you guys think now?

Okay, I have the best drivers.. and when I connect, AOL says that some program is blocking aol from fully connecting... I disabled my firewall (windows firewall) and it still isnt working... how can i find out..?

Back