Modem or Router problem.

Mahachippy

Limp Gawd
Hey gang, I am having a little trouble with my internet connection. I have a d-link cable modem that is connected to a linksys voip router (the router is the one I got from vonage when I signed up with them). Anywho, I have to use the router because my mom depends on the phone connection for her business. Well, the last few days I have lost my internet connection randomly. It doesn't happen everyday and usually just once when it does (today was the exception because it lost it twice). To fix the problem, I have to go reset my modem, so I don't think it is the router. My question is, what could be causing this? I have thought about two things...a) our house is right at thirty years old and none of the cable wires have ever been replaced...could old wiring cause this problem? Or b) the modem and router are usually pretty warm to the touch all the time...could heat be casuing a problem? The thing is that I have used the modem for going on ten months...I lived in an apartment last school year and only had to reset my modem about four times. Also, the cable connection for our tvs is fine. Also a point to note is that up until about a week ago, I never had any problems with this modem..but nothing has changed that I know of (the modem has been running for about three weeks prior to all of this). So, I was wondering what ya'll thought becuase I am all out of ideas..btw, I have rechecked all of the connections multiple times, so I am pretty sure they are not at fault. Anywho, thanks in advance!

If your cable modem resets for ANY reason most routers aren't smart enough to try and grab the connection back by themselves so you have to reset the modem then the router for it to work again. I'm not sure about your router, you might want to update your router firmware anyway. Also check for any loose connections with the cable wire. I know sometimes even a quarter turn of the cable wire can make enough difference for your modem to go online.

Geef01 said:
If your cable modem resets for ANY reason most routers aren't smart enough to try and grab the connection back by themselves so you have to reset the modem then the router for it to work again. I'm not sure about your router, you might want to update your router firmware anyway. Also check for any loose connections with the cable wire. I know sometimes even a quarter turn of the cable wire can make enough difference for your modem to go online.

Thanks for the help! I think my router was not smart enough like you said to get renew the connection. I turned everything off and unplugged the modem and router. Then I let it sit for about and hour, then plugged in and booted up the modem, then the router and then the computers. Everything seems to be working okay now. You know I really hate computers...I really do...but dang it if I don't want a cs degree like a thirsty man in the desert!
:D

With my DSL modem, if it gets hot it starts disconnecting. A while ago, I started sitting it upright where it can rid itself of heat better, and in a place where it gets better airflow. Since that time, I've rarely had to reset it.

I've gone as far as taking the top off of my WRT54G to keep it cool. I plan on putting it back together soon after I put some heatsinks on it and cut a hole in it for a small fan.

Yeah, I thought about building a cold box out of plexi. Basically a box to hold all my networking gear with 8 120mm fans and two fan controller for maximum air flow!. Just got to figure out all the measurements and stuff.

Back