modem not renewing ip automatically

hifimono

Weaksauce
either my cable modem won't renew my ip address at random intervals when the lease expires, or something is magically interfering with my wired connection.

the ip is renewed when i unplug/plug the power back into the modem, and then everything works fine until the next day or so when it happens again. "repairing" the connection doesn't work though.

the cable guy told my roommate that our 2.4 GHz phones were interfering with the signal and we need new phones, but I thought that would only apply to wifi connections.

any ideas?

lol the cable guy said this?
2.4GHz will only affect Wireless 802.11x that runs @ 2.4GHz and you're on a wired connection. The cable guy has no clue, and there is in no way that your phones can interfere with cable internet. This might be an issue with your modem, or it could be something beyond your modem as well. Try a hard reset on your modem to see if that will help.

Is your computer behind a router at all?

it wasn't behind a router up until 2 weeks ago but this problem has been going on longer than that.

i laughed at the cable guy's answer when my roomate told me.

how do i hard reset the cable modem?

Almost sounds like the modem is going bad. I would call your ISP to have them test it and possibly get it replaced.

Almost sounds like the modem is going bad. I would call your ISP to have them test it and possibly get it replaced.

I agree, I saw this happening a few times to my friends who have a cable modem who can't keep a connection up for more than 1 day. After replacing the modem, all works fine. It looks like a case of a clueless/lazy technician...

I had the same problem but it was my onboard ethernet connection not the modem. I bought a $10 ethernet card and all my problems were solved. See if you can borrow one from a friend and see if that works.

Back