Modem errors through roof, upstream channels not bonding

SilverSliver

[H]F Junkie
First of all, I'm running a Netgear CM600 modem and an Orbi Netgear mesh system. Provider is Suddenlink. Been having some issues lately. Anytime a storm rolls through, even though my cable modem and router are on a battery backup, fucky things happen. This last time, we had a brief power failure after a lightning strike that sounded relatively close. Internet went down, modem was still up and everything was good on my end it seemed. Came back up, but now it's been up and down intermittently for hours. After many resets, checked my modem logs and I'm getting loads of correctable and uncorrectable errors on downstream channels 1 through 16, while 17 through 24 are fine. Upstream channels 1 through 4 are locked bonded, while upstream channels 5 through 8 are not locked. Tech coming out tomorrow, but wanted with how these guys are sometimes, wanted to make sure I ask the right questions to get this fixed.

Attachments

• log screen modem.jpg
    log screen modem.jpg
    875.8 KB · Views: 0
  • upstream modem.jpg
    upstream modem.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 0
Your upstream power is too high, most providers specify no higher than 49db, some say 47db is the absolute limit.

If nothing in your house has changed and you only have a regular splitter (not an amp) then it is likely 1 of a few things outside.

1. Your drop is either defective or too long for the type of wire (RG6 or RG11)
2. The tap is defective and getting wet
4. Degraded plant
3. Defective amp

Either way, T3 timeouts will cause your modem to drop and need to be resolved by a service tech and/or a line tech. Call to your ISP was a good choice.

Also check for bad splitters, MOCA filters, etc. leading up to the modem.

If you can, try taking the modem out to the demarcation point (where the cable company's line comes in to meet your house wiring, and responsibility hands off) to test. This is a good way to isolate/eliminate any home wiring as the culprit.

Tech came out. Looks like a bad amp. He put in for another tech to come out and fix.

Back