Modem detecting wrong

Ohmsford

Limp Gawd
I've got a problem with my Modem detecting. When I boot the computer (Windows ME) it will pop up found new hardware, and it will say PCI Communication Device. But it doesn't get any farther. So in device manager, I've got this PCI Communication Device that has a exclamation mark on it, and it won't detect what kind of Modem it is. So I placed a second Modem in the Computer, a bit newer one from a different computer, and it does the same thing, except for this one, I've got the drivers on the disk. So I place the diskette in and Install the drivers and it displays it under the modems now as a HCI 56k V90 modem, which is write. Problem solved, or so I thought. It is in the modems, but it doesn't know its connected to the computer. If i click on the modems button through control panel it says its in modems, but its not in the diagnostics, it doesn't know that there is a Com3 for it to be connected to. And if i go through Dial-up Networking and right click on my connection and go properties, it pops up an error because it can't detect a modem for it to use....... My friend says he had the same problem and he would run a "Modems across the world" application and he said he would assign a port to the modem...Anybody got any ideas? or know anything abuot this Modem's across the world?

You may get slightly better speeds all things being equal on a hardware modem. But chances are, you wont.

Win modems (generic terms for controller less modems, which all pci modems to my knowledge are. Except i think a few early 3 com ones that they experimented with)

Anyways. if its showing up, but not showing up as an internal, try reinstalling it, but let windows find the driver files as oppossed as point it to them. The first thing to try, is installing the drivers if the driver disk has an install program. (either an autorun, or a setup application on the cd)

ya worst case scenario you'll have to remove the modem and get the FCC ID # and search for the product's specs. then download all the drivers it requires.

Back