• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

modem covered under warranty?

starhawk

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Oct 4, 2004
Messages
8,908
OK... this is a dispute between my computer-illiterate-bordering-on-computer-retarded mother (who did not realize that her wireless keyboard needed batteries until I told her this) and myself.

Mother has an eMachines that she bought last Christmas (it was their Christmas special)

Specs as I recall:

2.5GHz Celeron s478
512MB El Cheapo DDR SDRAM
80GB EIDE HDD
Integrated Graphics
Integrated Sound
Conexant Modem

She was extra careful to get an Extended 3-Year Warranty with this thing as well.

The modem is now starting to get even slower than usual (record speed was 40kbps... once.) Keep in mind that we live about 1 mile outside a small town.

My mother claims that she will be able to haul this 25lb. box of junk to Best Buy and they will Presto! replace the modem for free because it is covered under the warranty, even though she also has claimed that "modems usually only last a year or so".

I claim that she is nutty as a squirrel's winter stash... what she is seeing is called "normal wear and tear" and nobody is gonna be st00pid enough to cover that on a warranty.

Since Mother and I are unable to resolve this dispute (after 2+ hours), I leave it to you: does the warranty cover a new modem under these circumstances?
 
Well, look at the warranty card provided. If there is no mention of warranty provided under decreased performance (or the like), you won't get any warranty. You could try and negotiate, but I doubt they will do anything.

As a sidenote, have you checked for virii and spybots/adware?
 
4keatimj said:
Well, look at the warranty card provided. If there is no mention of warranty provided under decreased performance (or the like), you won't get any warranty. You could try and negotiate, but I doubt they will do anything.
don't think we got a card, it'd take her two weeks to track the thing down anyways.

4keatimj said:
As a sidenote, have you checked for virii and spybots/adware?
Mother is absolutely religious about running ad-aware.
 
Tell her that it would be extremely unlikely that they would give her a new modem just because it is slowing down. I don't think they would be that stupid.
 
Extremely unlikely. Unless it flat-out doesn't work, it won't get replaced. I'm betting a quick visit from the system restore disc will magically "Fix" the slowness...unless the ISP is the cause of the slowness. May want to call the ISP and inquire about any performance issues.
 
we live in the sticks. a mile outside a town called siler city... its main claims to fame are 5 or so fast food joints and the fact that highway 64 comes through the town.

probably wires... but Mother is convinced totally that it's really the modem.
 
That's what I was going to say. Most likely the telephone wiring has a problem.

I'd reccomend you plug in another computer with a modem and see what kind of connection speed your are able to attain.

And as you know... modems last more than a year. I have a modem from 1998 and it still woks like new when I need it.
 
my comp never got any better (i plugged it into the other line). must be the lines.
 
Analog data links made on analog phone lines are bandwidth limited by the signal to noise ratio (among other things less critical) of the line. The fact that she's getting slower and slower connections tells me that the signal to noise ratio of the line is getting worse. This can happen for a number of reasons, like normal cable and connections degradation that happens over time. The fact that you connected and get identical connect speeds should tell you something.

When we moved to our new home, my computer that would connect at or close to 56K on the new lines would only get 32K on a good day. I called AT&T - their exact answer: "....since we only guarantee 19.2, you're doing quite well, actually....". No such complaints with my cable modem....:cool:

Regards - B.B.S.
 
at&t sux eggs.

my father did a lot of long distance calling once cuz it was showing up real cheap on his bill... turns out it was a computer goof... and guess what? at&t wanted him to pay the $1000 that their mistake cost them.

Father now has sprint telephone service.
 
Back
Top