Modem: Cisco DPC3825

JoseJones

Gawd
Hi, I am not sure which is the proper section of the forum to discuss modems? So, if a mod moves my post please PM me if there's a new link so I can find it.

I've had the Cisco DPC3825 modem since 2/28/12 and wonder if it's worth keeping or if I should get a new one?

We need a modem that includes 4 router ports - we use an XBox, Netflix, two PC's and phone via Vonage. Other than that I don't know squat about modems. I just noticed that this modem gets a lot of 1-star reviews so, it made me curious about any issues with it. I've not had any issues so far as I'm aware of.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If the modem works just fine for you then why replace it? Is this just a "I want to upgrade", or "I really need to expand my ports and thinking of upgrading" kind of thing?

Most you need would probably be an unmanaged switch to have some expansion for your current setup. If you did replace your modem though just stay away from those all-in-one combo devices. Get a modem that's just a modem and spend the extra money to get an actual consumer grade router. Those all-in-one devices generally suck and you forfeit a lot of abilities with what you can do on your local LAN over to the ISP.

I was just curious what we may be missing out on.

What all would I gain by getting a straight up modem and buying my own router? What are these options you're talking about? I really don't know much about it. I'm just an old geezer who's usually behind the times.

What modems and what routers would you recommend?

Do you have to have a combination modem/router? If so, one option is the ARRIS/Motorola SBG6580. It combines a DOCSIS 3.0 model, a four-port Gigabit wired router, and a 802.11b/g/n dual band wireless router.

The advantage of buying the router and the modem separately is that you only need to replace the item that's bad or outdated. With something like the above, you would have to start over in a few years.

Regardless of whichever path you take, how much at most do you want to spend?

Do you have to have a combination modem/router?

No, it was just convenience to have it all-in-one. We got that modem from Charter ... that's what they gave us. Now, Charter no longer uses it and considers it obsolete because, apparently, they had a lot of trouble with it.

I was just going to ask Charter for a new modem and router.

Don't go to Charter. Remember, they sold you a "bad" modem/router to begin with. (Check your bill: You might still be paying a "rental fee" to use your router.)

If you want a cheaper alternative to the SBG6580, consider the following combination:

$70 - ARRIS/Motorola SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem
$25 - Netgear RangeMax WNR1000 N150 802.11b/g/n wireless router with four 10/100 Ethernet ports

That's another advantage of buying a separate modem and router: You can find cheaper alternatives. These aren't the best ones available, but they should be more than good enough for your needs. (I can vouch for the modem as it's the same one I used for the past couple of years with no problems.)

I talked to the guy from Charter just a few days ago while they were doing something around here so, I asked him about our modem and he said the ones they're using now are much better but, I didn't get to write down the model they now use.

What are the best and latest/newest modems and routers for my set up that are worth keeping for a long time?

I assume this one is newer: SBG6580

Top 100 routers: http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/electronics/300189/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_e_2_3_last

Last edited:
You don't need the "latest and greatest" modem or router available. You simply need stuff that works.

I don't believe that you need to buy another all-in-one modem/router like the SBG6580. (The newer version is the SBG6782-AC, which I believe is overpriced overkill based on what you've told us so far). Save your money and go with the SG6121 modem and a dedicated router.

(Looking at your "top 100 routers" list, I saw that the TP-LINK TL-WR841N is a better option than the Netgear WNR1000 I recommended earlier.)

Do you use your wireless connection? If not, you could instead go for an Ethernet switch that would allow you to connect up to eight wired devices to your modem.

Back