Modding my Lian Li PC-V1000, I need ideas & input!!

investinwaffles

Limp Gawd
So my old trusty PC-V1000 is sitting in my room awaiting a new Zalman MFC1 fan controller (old one died on me, computer wouldn't let me POST??).
Weird shit, anyway I ordered a new one but the mod bug hit me again while I was troubleshooting.

Its funny, I bought this case (simple, no windows, classy) so I could get out of modding computers (got tired of bright lights, and flashiness). But alas, I once again feel the burning desire to spend countless hours of my time hacking up my case, I think its because I'm almost done with finals :D

Anyway im going to keep it fairly simple, and clean above all. Heres what I already have planned:
1. Reverse the HDD cages so the wires are more hidden.
2. Remove all but the front HDD cage at the same time
3. Dremel out rear grill (my V1000 is one of the first ones, has the thick "cheese grater" aluminum that is on the rest of the case) It is extremely restricted now.
4. Dremel out PSU grille on bottom of case, add dust filters
5. Attempt to stealth install an eSATA jack on the back
6. Cut holes in MOBO panel so I can stealth wires better
7. Sleeve all visible wires (most already are).
7. Cut a window (see below).

I cant figure out what design to cut for the window though. I wouldn't mind the stock Lian-Li design, but I hate how the optical drive cage is plainly visible.
http://www.donanimhaber.com/resimler/lian_1b.jpg

I think I am going to cut either a square, from where the normal window "steps" down, to where the normal window ends, so the drives are hidden.
OR I was thinking of doing a semi rectangular window (still hiding the optical drives), but I have no idea if that would look good or not. I don't want to show the bottom compartment of the case (wire storage and what not).

Im open to unique designs though (I cant think of any good window ideas :()
Also, I feel like my dremel is going to be a pain in the ass cutting through the thick side panels. Should I use my cheapo Black & Decker jigsaw instead?

As for mounting the plexi, which do you guys think looks better, mounting the plexi behind the panel, or in front and attaching it using nice screws?
Like this:
http://glen.wimberley.net.au/postimages/V1000/Green Mod 025.JPG

Also, I am toying with the idea of tinted or "smoked" Plexiglas because the light will not be as bright. And on the subject of light, I cant decide weather to go for white lighting or red lighting. My case lights, and 2 of my fans are already red, and I like the subtly red offers. If I got white lighting, I would get white LED fans, have to change out the LEDs on my new MFC1 to white, change the case LEDs to white, etc. Which im not too concerned about (its a mod after all), but I dont know if Ill be bothered by the white light. Red is a lot easier on the eyes (it is on most of the time in my room).

Any other cool ideas to clean it up would be appreciated! I have been out of the mod game for a little while now but I am really anxious to do some modding again :eek:

Last edited:
The 200mm Antec Big Boy Fan is the perfect size for a bottom intake or top exhaust.

If I'm not mistaken, you can still buy a stock V1000 side panel w/ window if you don't want to cut one yourself.

LINK

They have black as well.

Yes, but for $50 I could instead just cut a custom one, and be able to hide the drive bays too :)

I also am toying with the idea of installing 2x120mm fans, and a matching grill (probably from mnpctech.com). My question is, would it be a bad idea to reverse the airflow, so the rear fan was an intake, blowing over the CPU and then pulled upwards by the top exhaust fans?

I have a front intake fan behind the optical bays, so that would also bring cold air in, clashing with the rear intake fan (both are approx same elevation). All of that would go up, out the top of the case. OR should I leave the rear fan as exhaust along with the two top exhaust fans?

I dont know if I like the 200mm fan, it looks kind of tacky so I would have to get some sort of custom grill for it.

Here are some of the side panels I've cut for mine using stock windowless side panels from Performance PCs....

I didn't like the exposed area by the bay cage either.

Current one with exhaust fan on the side...

DSC00834.jpg

DSC00836.jpg

Larger side window including view of HDD cage at the bottom...

DSC00143.jpg

Same side panel design minus the exposed HDDs...

DSC00216.jpg

Very very nice :D
Extremely clean and well done (incl all of the side panels).

I have a few quick questions though, what are you using to get nice straight lines, with perfect curves like that?? I really like the side panel with/without the HDD window. I was really trying to incorporate a HDD window but I dont like the way the "step up" looks, and I want it to be only one window (not a seperate one for the HDD). What I might try to do is line the corner of the HDD window up with a corner of the main window so it looks nearly-seamless.

You have hidden it in the panel w/ out the HDD window looks fantastic though!
Also, is that a 22mm "Bulgin" switch? It looks very nice, im planning on picking up a silver/red one. :D

And last question, which 5.25" bay cooler is that? The holes match the V1000 perfectly :)

im in the process of cleaning up my v1000 as well, I bought mine from Monarch Computers before they kicked the bucket for 150$ was an awesome deal. The only thing i am starting to dislike is if you put lights inside the whole front of the case is see through cause of the vents so all the lights are glaring out of the front. I am going to fill the front up with deadening material to stop the light from getting out (i know this sounds silly)

Also does anyone have any experience with which PSU's fit without taking up the 2nd HDD cage, I have a PC&C PSU and i want my 2nd cage back :-( trying to find the dimensions of this PC&C as we speak

And is there any way to fix scratches on the aluminum side panels? I was going to try buying novus but wanted to see others ideas first

Found a few ongoing builds
http://67.90.82.13/forums/showthread.php?p=4342672
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250230#post4353658

And PC-Vxxxx Pron :D
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154982

Some absolutely beautiful builds in there ^^

And I found someone that cut pretty much the same design I envisioned in my head. I really like the designs shawnoen used, because they all block the MOBO but I dont want to be a copy cat. Also I think the simplicity of the rectangle design, with the step-up looks wickedly clean with the V1000 design :cool::
img4276largeoz7.jpg

I want to incorporate a HDD window into the side panel as well. I want to make the HDD window match up with the same slant of the case (with ~5mm of uncut aluminum inbetween the two windows). But I am unsure if I can get the two to match up cleanly. :confused:

Also,
You dont have to get a PS that fits inside the case, Lian-Li sells a PSU extender bracket that I currently use for more internal wire space.

Also, I scrapped the idea for the dual blowholes due to noise concern.
I also dont think I need it (not too much heat buildup at the rear top because of my intake fan design and the rear holes at the top of the case).

What is everyone with this case doing for heatsinks?
I have a Xigmatek 92mm cooler on it right now and there is ~1mm of clearance between it and the bottom of the case.

I see everyone is flipping the big 120mm coolers sideways, so the exhaust is hitting the botttom of the case (and presumably being carried out the rear exhaust), or so the exhaust is hitting the bottom of the video card and exhausting out the rear of the case.

Do you guys think switching to a 120mm cooler, with a LESS efficient exhaust design would be worth it?
The Xigmatek I have is a direct heatpipe cooler, w/3 heatpipes. I currently see around 42*c idle temps on the hottest core (Q6600, Stock clock @ 1.8v) but my exhaust is severely restricted until I cut out the metal "cheese-grater" fan grille for the rear case exhaust. With the case open, and only the CPU fan on (to simulate a more realistic environment), I see around 38*c on the hottest core with the CPU fan on around 50%.

I feel like this cooler sucks a lot. I was looking at the Thermalright Ultra-90 Tower cooler, but it is again just a 92mm cooler. I really dont like how the 120mm cooler would have to be oriented:
100_7993.jpg

Last edited:
I would re-consider using a Thermalright Ultima 90 with a 92mm fan. Thats what I'm using and it keeps my i7 920 core temps in the mid 40s @ 3.2Ghz. I've tried a TRUE with a 120mm fan mounted horizontally and the core temps are no better with it....

Only place to get a Ultima 90 though is used somewhere as they discontinued it.

So are you recommending the Ultra-90 to me? I know someone that is selling one and I think im going to pull the trigger on it. It seems to be much higher build quality than my xigmatek and I really prefer the in-line airflow of a 92mm cooler. I feel like a 120mm would blow hot air up, past the video card and just create an oven. Bummer :(

I am now having a new idea, what about the Corsair H50 H20 system?? I have not heard anything bad about this (except that you can acheive the same amount of cooling on air, wich I cant because I cant fit a 120mm cooler in my case). But I can fit a 120mm rad + fan in the back 120mm bay. But at ~80+ I feel like I could spend my $ elsewhere? Im not overclocking (undervolting @ stock clock) though, so it may be overkill.

So im thinking an Ultra-90, with a low speed push-pull config should do the trick (maybe only 1 fan?) Its a pretty short (airflow over the fins wise) cooler so 2 fans might be overkill.

I'm using the Ultima 90 (pictured aboive) and it works great. My core temps are between 42-46 C right now as I type this and I'm at 3.2Ghz. When gaming it never goes about 50C on my i7 920. I'm using a single 92mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon on it (AP-13).

Cool I have the opportunity to pickup an Ultra-90 (only 3 heapipes instead of 6) so I'm going to make a move on it :)

I would have loved to find an ultima 90 but its discontinued and no one seems to be selling one currently. And alas there is no other cooler that really compares that is compatible with my space requirements :(
Oh well. Im going to try and snag it for around $20 so I cant complain. About 80% cheaper than the Corsair H50 I was considering. It should be fine for me though, and i hated the way the radiator had to intake cold air to be properly efficient.

I think I'll try that fan because the Xigmatek 92mm that I have now sounds like a jet :mad:
the only problem I see is that the fan uses a non-standard bearing type. Meaning, its not like the rest of my Scythe fans that I can remove the sticker, then gasket to re-lube.

And even more than that, remove the washer (after the gasket) so I can disassemble the case fan. I want to custom paint them (Maybe a red blades with a white frame?) So maybe i'll go with the S-flex fans or slipstream fans instead.

Last edited:
Q6600 lapped and video card update:

Lapped my Q6600 today using 320 grit to get it level, then finished with 800 grit. I ended up leaving it because the finish was pretty good and I dont need it to be super blinged out :LOL:

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg

IMAG0033.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

Also spruced up my video cards a bit. Using tweakmonster ramsinks from directron.com (cheap as fuuu)
IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

IMAG0019.jpg

IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0015.jpg

IMAG0013.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

IMAG0011.jpg

Thats all for today. Tomorrow I start cutting on my case :D
Stay tuned ;)

Nice. Gotta love the mismatched heatsinks on the video card on the right. But then again, my video card is also like that haha. Heatsinks from Accelero and Zalman? How's the cooling on the hard drives? I have the re-badge version of this case, the ABS Black Pearl, and man I feel the cooling on the hard drives is inadequate. I was thinking of buying hard drive cages with a fan to put into the 5.25" drive bays but they're so expensive.

There is a 120mm intake fan right in front of the HDD's, and my temps are usually around 37-40*C for my Samsung Spinpoint F1's, and I think there are enough vent holes underneath the HDD's to adequately vent the air.

What do you think? Should I drill out some larger holes in the bottom vents?

And the card with the mismatched sinks is the one with the Accelero on it (and the top card) so you wont really be able to see them i think. If you can i'll simply switch them out for some more tweakmonster sinks.

Moar update:
Started cleaning up the case today. Sound deadening is a ***** to remove. Spent almost an hour scraping just that one panel.

IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0046.jpg

IMAG0045.jpg

IMAG0044.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

Also started cutting today! :D
I removed the extra set of HDD racks in the bottom compartment, and moved the PSU divider up to the first set. It will look sick when I get the HDD window to get cut out. :D

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0051.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0054.jpg

New:
IMAG0052.jpg

Old:
Old
IMAG0043.jpg

I am thinking that I will have to drill out holes in the bottom of the HDD compartment, what do you guys think? I guess I dont mind hacking up my case, I would like to keep it as factory/beautiful as possible though :(

Q6600 lapped and video card update:

Lapped my Q6600 today using 320 grit to get it level, then finished with 800 grit. I ended up leaving it because the finish was pretty good and I dont need it to be super blinged out :LOL:

[

IMAG0023.jpg

Thats all for today. Tomorrow I start cutting on my case :D
Stay tuned ;)

holy shit!!! somebody snuck in and dumped some kind of weird vegetation-like crap all over your nice scale!!! you have to be very careful about that, as it could possibly get mixed in with your heatsinks, cocaine and heroin!!!!!

Yeah, there is a 120mm fan in front of the hard drive cages. My room gets kinda hot during the summer. I have six hard drives at the moment (4 WD, 3 640AAKS, 1 640AALS and 2 older Maxtor drives). Temperature ranges from 43 - 50*C. I could turn up the fans but I don't want it to be louder. I feel like the hard drives in the second drive cage don't get as much air as the ones in the first hard drive cage.

As for the video card, yeah I also use the Accelero so I don't really mind the mismatched heatsinks. Temperature on the video card right now is at 53*C.

holy shit!!! somebody snuck in and dumped some kind of weird vegetation-like crap all over your nice scale!!! you have to be very careful about that, as it could possibly get mixed in with your heatsinks, cocaine and heroin!!!!!
Lol, only scale I have. I picked up one of the tweakmonsters and it felt 5x heavier than the cheap zalman ones and I had to weigh them. No coke, no heroin, weed only ;)

Yeah, there is a 120mm fan in front of the hard drive cages. My room gets kinda hot during the summer. I have six hard drives at the moment (4 WD, 3 640AAKS, 1 640AALS and 2 older Maxtor drives). Temperature ranges from 43 - 50*C. I could turn up the fans but I don't want it to be louder. I feel like the hard drives in the second drive cage don't get as much air as the ones in the first hard drive cage.

As for the video card, yeah I also use the Accelero so I don't really mind the mismatched heatsinks. Temperature on the video card right now is at 53*C.
Yeah, I only have 2 HDD's. Dual 750gb's is enough space for me (and I have a 1tb external), If I need more space it will be in external drives so they are portable, etc.

I dont really know what you can do other than force the airflow to exit behind the last HDD rack (so all the air is pulled over the last HDD's). Block the vents under the front HDD's and remove the vents under the last rack (before the PSU divider) and you should see some more efficient airflow. I suspect The airflow is shortcutting through the exhaust vents under the front HDD rack and isnt flowing over the rear HDDs which causes a stagnant area of hot air.

Yeah maybe. I may also purchase some Scythe GTs as the stock fans kinda suck. but yeah maybe covering those bottom vents will do something.

Update:
Finished cutting the hole for the radgrill last night (just as the sun set). Also cut out the rear 120mm grill :)

Pics are in reverse order because of retarded photobucket.
IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0062.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

I need help, I accidentally broke the leads off to my power switch and cant figure out where to solder each wire :(
And i just broke the other lead off after taking this picture. So where do i solder on the leads?? I assume blue is power white is ground?

IMAG0029.jpg

Back