• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Modding a Silverstone raven rv01

Joined
Feb 4, 2011
Messages
43
Hello every one. I'm in the planning stages of my first workstation build, I'm going to go with the evga sr2 and the Silverstone Raven rv01.This requires some modding.
the reason for my questions is im fairly comfortable assembling the computer it self, but I dont know a whole lot about case modding, or power tools :D. What I'm taking so long to say is there any fourms threads you guys can link me to or personal experience with the silverstone raven or sr2 that i should be aware of.
before i even went through with this I measured measured measured. Got info from a few different Places including silverstone. ill post some photo shopped pics of my plans and measurements if i can get it to work if not ill scan my hand drawn pictures of what i plan to do.
I'll keep this thread to post real pics as things go along if any one is interested in how it turns out

P.S. I'm not a big forum guy and this is my first post here so be almost gentile ;)
 
Sorry to tell you this but an SR2 in a RV01 isn't happening.
The height and depth of the case will have to be extended beyond the current dimensions.

You can mod a 700/800D to fit a SR2. The Lian Li P80 and V2120 cases will fit the board without mods.
If you like the rotated 90 degree motherboard of the RV01, the Silverstone TJ11 can fit the SR2 with the same layout.
 
image001.jpg


Sorry for the crappy image photo shop is not working well the image was revived from silverstone tech support the yellow lines is what it came with, the red i did my self

i measured every thing as best i could using a ruler and my monitor and some conversions that i wont go in to full detail but im 99% sure i got it all right but i should be able to put 2 fans above the psu and not mess up the air flow
 
OK I see what you mean but you can get a P80 without going through all of that.
How will the case still function after you remove all of the 5.25 and HDD bays?
 
I only need 13.6" horizontal and i have 14 inches leaving a whopping .40 " extra room, . so i should not need to remove any 5. 25s and i should be able to keep at least 4 HDD Bays.
Doing this will make it a cable management nightmare and with a Motherboard with so many cables I will have to get creative but this is 1/2 the fun
its the bottom were the psu is that will give me the problems, my my estimations i have 14 " there, + 5 inches in the huge lower area, so i should be able to lower or cut off that fan tray to fit this in there.

As to why go thougugh all this trouble
1 I love the style of the rv01 IMO every other option is just plain ugly.
2. because I can XD
3. epic bragging rights, were I live if i managed to lug this to a lan party it would with out a doubt be the star of the show

Either way ill know in less than a week when the case arrives, I can always measure measure measure and if it wont work, The *expletive* restocking fee is the price of my lesson ;)

I will deff let you know either way. as much as i hate being wrong I hate saying something that is untrue even more so id have to correct my self here and thanks for your Input
 
Sorry to tell you this but an SR2 in a RV01 isn't happening.
The height and depth of the case will have to be extended beyond the current dimensions.

You can mod a 700/800D to fit a SR2. The Lian Li P80 and V2120 cases will fit the board without mods.
If you like the rotated 90 degree motherboard of the RV01, the Silverstone TJ11 can fit the SR2 with the same layout.
nice on the tj11 btw that will be the back up if this ends up fubar thanks
 
If you want to go for it then go for it. I hope you have the monies to spare (though SR-2 build, you probably do).

It might sound like a simple job to cut all that spare stuff out but trust me, it's not, especially if you haven't used a dremel before. Getting it into a neat finish will be even harder. Chances are the damn thing will become mutilated and look horrible :).

But good luck anyhow and post pics :p!!!
 
I have used a dremil before, worked amazing on little detail work, But working with some thing a bit larger I can deff see how it would look like crud if mess up even just a bit. I have a fairly decent hd camera so i may even post vids at the very least i have some 14 mp images to share :D
Although im starting to buy everything now, I probably will not start until it warms up a little more, I live in north America
as far as monies go...
I pay my bills just like every one else, but have been planning and saving for a while so ya its not a huge issue, just like any hobbies it costs $$ :D
 
Last edited:
Show pictures when you get started. Very interesting.

The TJ11 was made for extreme PC modders like yourself.
 
ok io got the case today, beauty. after measureing about 7 times everything will fit, there is a few other road bumps i hit while doing this this tho, nothing I dont think fix...
problem # 1 there is a ~ .25 inch indent that will hit the dremil should take care of this no problem,

Problem #2 is a bit more tricky, near the drive 5.25 bay there is a .5 inch raise, right at the 13 inch mark, i can do one of two things, cut it out, or use an extra stand off pin raising it the extra i need but throwing off my I/o panel off by a .25 inch.

My question is witch would you do with if it was you
 
I don't see how you're *not* going to be missing a ton of PCIe slots.
Good luck though.
If you're near a MC that still has one in stock, the $148 PC-A77FB fits the SR-2 just fine as is once you move the HD cages all the way forward and wedge the bottom most 5.25" bay cover for each cage. I'm going to drill and tap the 3 standoffs that don't line up, but you can still use the case OK without them.

The only cases I've seen that fit the SR-2 with minimal modding....missing a few standoffs or PCIe brackets -
PC-A77FB
PC-P80B
700D
800D
FT01

Never seen one crammed into any other SS case.
 
I don't see how you're *not* going to be missing a ton of PCIe slots.
Good luck though.
the way I'm measuring ill be missing the PS/2 and 2 USB ports, and i really dont need them, although i have a plan for them as well, I only mentioned what i missed in my last post
 
well i almost let this post die had some issues with money and bills but i ordered my sr2 and should be getting it some time next week ill let you all know whats up when i get it in my hands
 
i got my sr 2 :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
took long enough lol
my measurements were a little over, i have more room than i thought ;) perfect a few mods maybe 3 hours of work(fingers crossed)
i still need a custom i/o bracket or something but all in all exactly what i was expecting
i will be starting a build log here soon hope i will be posting pics of the work i do when its done hope fully this weekend :)
 
i got my sr 2 :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
took long enough lol
my measurements were a little over, i have more room than i thought ;) perfect a few mods maybe 3 hours of work(fingers crossed)
i still need a custom i/o bracket or something but all in all exactly what i was expecting
i will be starting a build log here soon hope i will be posting pics of the work i do when its done hope fully this weekend :)

I know this has been a while, but how did your build finally come out? Let us know... Thanks... :)
 
had to stop due to money, so far its running but with working three jobs to pay for some family problem i had to put this on the back burner...
i got the board and the case measured it all up and it will fit i just never got around to cutting it all out.
still don't know about the radiators or anything else, but if your looking for a case this will fit with a lot of modding
sorry for the delayed response... working three jobs i don't get to do much time for anything besides sleep anymore :(
 
Back
Top