Modding a PSU

RobotChild

Gawd
In my file server I have an extremely loud PSU. The fan in it is a little 80mm.

What I plan to do - Remove the currnet fan in the PSU.
Cut up the PSU's casing, adding in mesh windows for airflow.
Mount the PSU in a 5 1/4 drive bay with a 120mm fan placed in front of it.
(The fan will just use a 4 pin molex. The fan will be blowing into the PSU)

Question - Will this be enough cooling for the PSU?

should be fine.

I have a P180 and my PSU only has 1 80mm fan now since I removed the other one that was making a lot of noise because its an oldish PSU. In the P180 down by the PSU spot there is a 120 fan and it puts enough air in that thing to keep it plenty cool.

Even before I had the P180 though, I had this fan taken out and had only the exhaust fan fulling air out of the PSU and no fan pulling air into the PSU and it still stayed perfectly cool. The key is to just make sure its getting cool air and good circulation in your case and you shouldnt have any problems.

kill4killin said:
should be fine.

I have a P180 and my PSU only has 1 80mm fan now since I removed the other one that was making a lot of noise because its an oldish PSU. In the P180 down by the PSU spot there is a 120 fan and it puts enough air in that thing to keep it plenty cool.

Even before I had the P180 though, I had this fan taken out and had only the exhaust fan fulling air out of the PSU and no fan pulling air into the PSU and it still stayed perfectly cool. The key is to just make sure its getting cool air and good circulation in your case and you shouldnt have any problems.
Cool thanks.

Back