• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Modding a Gateway mATX case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you thank you thank you :) Nope, that is still the stock fan.

Blahman, glad to see you're getting good temps. I will sleep better tonight, haha.
 
Looks great. Do you have a top view picture with the PSU installed so we can see just how much space there really is between the HSF and the PSU?
 
I got an idea for you to make the front even look cleaner, make you optical drive a stealth drive. It would pull the front all together. Great work bro!
 
Thanks everybody. :)

Looks great. Do you have a top view picture with the PSU installed so we can see just how much space there really is between the HSF and the PSU?
xDezor, I sure do. And it is really really close. About 5mm or less..:
IMG_1032.jpg


I got an idea for you to make the front even look cleaner, make you optical drive a stealth drive. It would pull the front all together. Great work bro!
PixelsGC, You won't see the dvd from the front end once fully assembled. It has a faceplate that isn't on yet. And the dvd is set back behind this faceplate AND there is a slide-up door, so I don't think you'll be seeing this :) :
IMG_0975.jpg


Nice work. BTW- what size is that front intake fan?
Flyinfinni, It's a 140mm Antec Tri-cool. The top fan is a 120mm of the same.
IMG_1016.jpg
 
Last edited:
wowza, that is a tight fit!

By the way, what motherboard did you end up choosing? Does placing both sticks of ram side by side pose any problems with regards to running dual channel? Or is that not an issue with current hardware?
 
I wonder how well that cooler is going to work. There should be plenty of air moving around it thanks to the 140mm front intake fan and topside 120mm exhaust fan. I'm hoping that'll keep the air moving around enough to prevent the cpu/hsf from getting too warm. I estimate, based on just the open area of the big shuriken's fan, that about 33% is in the complete open. The other 67% is covered by the psu. Hmmm.... What if I perforated the bottom of the psu so that it could draw in air that way? That'd be crazy enough to work! ;)
IMG_1033.jpg


Current expenses for this build:
CPU..............................$0.00
Mobo.............................$0.00
RAM..............................$0.00
HDD..............................$0.00
Case..............................$0.00
Fans..............................$0.00
GTX260..........................$0.00
PSU...............................$0.00
Big Shuriken...................$35.00
Slimline optical................$15.00
Paint (all)........................$18.00
Misc. parts......................$10.00
OS (Vista 64)...................$0.00
Total..............................$78.00

Modding your own case that is unlike any others'?.......You got it. Priceless. :)

Not too bad! I can't wait to get this thing 100% complete and get it up and running. I'll need to find a LAN party to go to as well! I think I should break it in on some L4D2 or BC2. :D
 
wowza, that is a tight fit!

By the way, what motherboard did you end up choosing? Does placing both sticks of ram side by side pose any problems with regards to running dual channel? Or is that not an issue with current hardware?

Yes it is! I think even a bed bug would feel cramped in there, haha :eek:

As far as the motherboard, I've still got that old AM2 mobo. Haven't gone to MC yet. Figured I wait to see if this build even ended up working before I went and bought a mATX mobo (I'm more of a ATX guy).

Not sure about the ram slot question. I'm inclined to say it doesn't really matter. Honestly, didn't know it ever did, but often wondered. If anyone else can chime in on this matter, that'd be much appreciated!
 
amd dual channel configurations are 1+2 or 3+4, intel dual channel is 1+3 or 2+4. The person asking must be used to intel with their every other slot configurations
 
Depends on the ma manufacturer. Some want you to put ram in matched color slots (most) some want you to put them in alternating slots.

I've seen enough articles saying that running in dual v single channel with ram tehse days does not usually make an appreciable difference.
 
You're running that off a HuntKey? Holy crap, nuclear bomb waiting to happen...

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Huntkey-Green-Star-550-W-LW-6550SG-Power-Supply-Review/668/8
Yours is the exact same unit, just with a 120mm fan instead of a 140mm fan (assuming I'm understanding the naming convention they use). Green Star and V-Power units seem to be the exact same thing.

From the review, it looks like as long as you stay under ~300w full load it should be okay... but I wouldn't trust it, or anything else made by those idiots.
 
Last edited:
You're running that off a HuntKey? Holy crap, nuclear bomb waiting to happen...
Ha! Yeah... I've read the reviews. But it hasn't given me any problems and it's been running this setup for awhile now (just not in this case, obviously). I'm hoping it can hold out awhile longer. And if it does fail I hope it doesn't take any of my components with it. The latter seems unlikely. But I didn't want to hack up a brand new PSU without proving the idea first. Nor did I want to spend any money on this, haha. :D
 
amd dual channel configurations are 1+2 or 3+4, intel dual channel is 1+3 or 2+4. The person asking must be used to intel with their every other slot configurations

Odd, I've never run across this with either of my 939 rigs, both are 1+3 or 2+4.

Depends on the ma manufacturer. Some want you to put ram in matched color slots (most) some want you to put them in alternating slots.

I've seen enough articles saying that running in dual v single channel with ram these days does not usually make an appreciable difference.
I see, that makes sense. Thanks.
 
i should have said current motherboards.
Every current intel i have come across is every other, every amd (am2 forward) is next to eachother
 
Well... I got it all together. It's a serious challenge putting all the components in and wiring it up. It all has to go in in a very particular order. I learned this by removing the power supply about 4 or 5 times and the GTX260 about another 4 or 5 times. :eek: I think my next mod will be a nice big ATX tower (coming soon; Solidworks drawings already in progress for laser).

I plugged it in and fired it up. The PSU fan wasn't spinning. I panicked! Oh, fan wire interfering with the fan blade. Tucked it out of the way; good to go. I sat and waited for it to fire up and post. And waited..... and waited. Nothing. I pulled the RAM, moved it around, switched it out with some other ram. Nothing. So I removed the GPU. Nothing. Switched SATA cables to the HDD. Nothing. Sacrificed a chicken and did a chant. Nothing.

So, that's where I'm at now. It won't post. No beeps. HDD is spinning. Fans are all spinning (air flow in this case is AMAZING! You wouldn't believe it. I must have struck a nice balance.

Worth nothing: the GPU fan isn't spinning. The card isn't getting all that warm either. No power? I'll have to put the meter on it and see. And I KNOW the reputation the Huntkey PSU has, but it's been powering this setup for awhile now with no problems. BUT, I may have to switch out the PSU and see if that fixes it.

Pictures coming tonight. It looks really nice. So small on the desktop! Love the flat black look. It looks rugged, mean and purpose built. :) But for now it is tango uniform. Not for long hopefully...

With all the troubles and issues that have come along with this case mod I believe it has earned the project/case name of:
:mad:"Military Issue":mad:​
 
Thanks!

Does anyone have any ideas of why this think won't boot??? Like I said, everything is spinning, but nothing... I've removed the GPU, swapped out the GPU, removed the RAM, swapped out the RAM, swapped out SATA cables, etc. Other than swapping out the PSU I'm at a loss here.

Now that I think about it, I have had a similar issue in the past when the 4 pin P4 connector isn't seated. I'll have to check that when I get home. But any other ideas?
 
Thanks!

Does anyone have any ideas of why this think won't boot??? Like I said, everything is spinning, but nothing... I've removed the GPU, swapped out the GPU, removed the RAM, swapped out the RAM, swapped out SATA cables, etc. Other than swapping out the PSU I'm at a loss here.

Now that I think about it, I have had a similar issue in the past when the 4 pin P4 connector isn't seated. I'll have to check that when I get home. But any other ideas?

I had an old Coolermaster PSU that did the same thing. Everything powered up physically but after I RMA'd my graphics card, I found out it WAS the power supply. It sounds almost identical to your situation. Not saying that your PSU is bad but if you have another PSU around, (even a cheap-o PSU), it may be worth hooking everything up OUTSIDE of your case to help test / troubleshoot your issue.
 
I do have a couple PSU hanging around. Not enough *umph* or connections for the GTX260, but will work to power everything else. Maybe tonight I'll remove the current PSU, swap in this other one and try to boot w/o the gpu.

If it does turn out to be the psu, I will have the fun time of redoing my cable shortening like I did on the existing psu. Oh goody!!! :D

Your similar situation with the cm psu: did the gpu fan spin?
 
PSU. I had a bad PSU back in the XP days, and when doing a fresh install was at 88% then fail, then 56% fail, 42% fail, 38% fail....then 8%. I thought it had to be the HDD, had to be. Nope. Some how the PSU was crapping out on that rail and the drive wasn't getting enough power and such. Bought an new PSU boom 100% fine install first try.
It really sounds like your PSU is not sending power right.
 
I'd say it's definitely the PSU, either the wiring isn't correct on it or the 260GTX is drawing too much load on startup.
 
Great... Anyone want to send me a modular psu with 6" cables?!?!? :) Oh well. If I end up having to replace the psu, it won't be all that bad to redo the cable shortening. It only took me a couple hours. And I'm positive the cables were wired back correctly because I only did one at a time to eliminate the possibility of miswiring. Grrr... Eh, it'll be alright. I'd be lying if I said I don't enjoy the process. :D
 
anytime you have the chance of modding PSU wires and such, you should really invest in a PSU tester. Just for the sake of knowing if you wired things right and such. Especially because I saw that you've got plans for the next build already and i'm sure you're going to try the same sort of stuff with that build too.
 
Yeah, I don't think I'm going to make a habit of messing with modding PSUs. Only did it on this one because it a psu I've had for awhile and didn't mind hacking it up. The next build you're referring to will be a full atx, so no need to shorten cables. But a psu tester would be wise if I did decide to delve into that madness again. :)
 
I would buy one if I thought I'd do this kind of mod again. But it's hard telln'.

So 4 people so far think it's the psu, +1 to include myself. Plus, I believe there were some neh sayers who rightfully dogged the huntkey psu.

If it is the psu, i'll swap in the good psu, tuck the cables up as tight as I can get them, zip tie them out of the way, put in the old 9800gt i've got around somewhere and call good until i can find a inexpensice (not cheap) psu that can supply the gtx260.
 
Does the PC start up without the 260GTX? Does the CPU fan turn on? That would eliminate the guesswork with regards to drawing too much power. Another thing to check would be whether that motherboard halts startup if the CPU fan is not connected. Is the aftermarket CPU fan plugged into the motherboard CPU fan header?
 
Last edited:
Does the PC start up without the 260GTX? Does the CPU fan turn on? That would eliminate the guesswork with regards to drawing too much power. Another thing to check would be whether that motherboard halts startup if the CPU fan is not connected. Is the aftermarket CPU fan plugged into the motherboard CPU fan header?

Buried in the last few post you'll find your answers. :)

Yes, I have tried booting w/o the GPU. The CPU is spinning, as are all fans except the GPU's. The fan on the big shuriken is plugged into the cpu fan header.
 
Pull everything out and set it up on a cardboard box or piece of wood. Might be a grounding issue.

Hate to say it, but that's probably a good idea. If plugging in a different PSU doesn't take care of it, I will remove everything. Yuck.... Normally, it wouldn't bother me to remove that much hardware, but this thing is like those chain and ring trick/games that you have to juggle and finagle stuff around to put it together, or take it apart is it were.
 
Great job so far. I remember selling those gateway computers when i worked at best buy. I can't believe how much better you have made it look.
 
Haha, yeah, they were a really common case back when. I must say, I thought they were pretty good looking then and now. But I'd like to think a made a few improvements on it. :D Thanks!
 
Oof. $118.62. I'll bundle the cables up w/ zipties for that much, haha! Thanks for the links though! If I ever do higher end SFF build, that is a definite psu candidate.
 
Buried in the last few post you'll find your answers. :)

Yes, I have tried booting w/o the GPU. The CPU is spinning, as are all fans except the GPU's. The fan on the big shuriken is plugged into the cpu fan header.
Sorry, I was running late for class and must have missed it. :p

My 260GTX does the same thing when the power cables are not plugged into it, and the same with my old ATI 9800 pro for that matter. I haven't looked up the specs of your PSU, but if it's a multi-rail design there might be hope yet (if you really insist on not upgrading), by moving the GPU power cables onto a less populated rail. That is, of course, assuming there are still wires on the other rails. :eek:
 
So, I didn't get any pictures of it put together last night because of being distracted by it not booting. But here are some shots of it now. Looks pretty sitting there.... powered on.... in limbo... :rolleyes:
IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

Looks pretty small on the desk in the office. I'm pretty happy about that. :)
IMG_1051.jpg


Well, time to open it up and swap out the psu and see if that does it!
IMG_1053.jpg
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top