• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Modders mesh or fan filter?

Superfly3176

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 17, 2005
Messages
4,770
So I have an nxzt phantom, and a cooler master hyper 212. Well the 200mm side fan won't fit inside with the CPU cooler. So I mounted it outside the case pointing in. Problem is I now need some sort of filter because there's an uncovered gap. The case accepts a 200 or 230mm side fan so since there's only a 200 i have some room left over. Just looking for a suggestion on what to use and where to get it.
 
It kind of depends on what you want to accomplish, because modder's mesh and a filter are two completely different things: modder's mesh is more like a fan grill, whereas a filter filters dust and stuff like that.

You can get modder's mesh at MNPCtech, and you can get filter material from a lot of different outlets depending on the specific kind of material you're looking for.
 
I'd rather have like a dust filter. Any suggestion on what to use? Would a place like lowes sell it?
 
I'd rather have like a dust filter. Any suggestion on what to use? Would a place like lowes sell it?

One thing you can use is women's stockings, you just cut what you need and then stretch them out to fit. You can use tiny dots of superglue to attach the stocking/filter to your case if you don't have any other way to attach it. I think you can find the stockings at Macy's or similar stores, or you can just order them online (BEST OPTION).

This is the kind I'm talking about, though you can definitely get them cheaper:
http://www.amazon.com/Hanes-Womens-...NO7U/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1325229894&sr=8-8
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
would like a fly or door screen work as well? I'm worried about airflow using pantyhose. Guess i'm looking for something inbetween huge holes and microscopic ones.
 
I'm testing out window/door screen but I think the holes (> 1mm²) are too big for anything but already clumped pieces of spiderwebbed lint.
 
Yeah I don't think screen door type material would really filter much out, but I'm just guessing about that. I know whenever I dust out my case that doesn't use filters, all the dust is really fine particles that don't seem big enough to be trapped by a screen door.
 
Hmm I'll have to look more into something. I just don't want a big hole on the side of my case. I'll keep searching the net for ideas.
 
I just realized your situation is more about covering a hole that happens to be near a fan. Foam-lined acrylic sheet could work, although probably requiring more effort than you want.

I will probably try women's peds next, for a filtering material.
 
Last edited:
I wouldn't go with that Acoustipack stuff, it's really expensive. You can go here to get ideas for cheaper alternatives, and then you can order from there or you can see if they have something similar at a local hardware store.
 
Back
Top