Modder transforms AMD's RX 5600 XT by boosting its memory capacity to 16GB and widening its memory bus to 256-bits

erek

[H]F Junkie
256-bits

“Pro YouTuber and modder Paulo Gnomes has accomplished one of the most extreme memory modifications we've seen, featuring an RX 5600 XT Red Devil. The modder was able to more than double the card's memory capacity, from 6GB to 16GB, as well as boost the card's memory bandwidth to 256-bits. That, combined with a manual overclock, enabled the RX 5600 XT Red Devil to run 29% faster compared to its stock 6GB 192-bit configuration.”

1711085840033.png

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...-16gb-and-widening-its-memory-bus-to-256-bits

This would have been a bit more impressive before 2020, but at this point, I'd rather see an RTX 3090's VRAM doubled. This doesn't produce anything that you can't already buy.

This would have been a bit more impressive before 2020, but at this point, I'd rather see an RTX 3090's VRAM doubled. This doesn't produce anything that you can't already buy.

So go a head and do it instead of shitting on the work the others.

Regardless of the end result performance wise, this is still an impressive feat for modders to do. Also, it's not just about the resulting performance. Modders tend to do this stuff just to see if it can be done and to challenge themselves.

So go a head and do it instead of shitting on the work the others.

Regardless of the end result performance wise, this is still an impressive feat for modders to do. Also, it's not just about the resulting performance. Modders tend to do this stuff just to see if it can be done and to challenge themselves.

Oh come on, I know that. I'm not here to shit on the modder just to be mean, but even so, I'm not going to line up and say the cliche. Someone ought to point out the naked emperor.

You can buy a 16GB modded 5600 XT?

I imagine it was in the sense you can simply buy a 16GB 7600xt or 6800 while 48 GB vram card around 3090 performance are really expensive (or not knowing nvidia made them)
Believe it or not, I know what he meant. I was being facetious. iow, it was a bad joke.

It's impressive what some will do just to see if it can be done but I could have told you that the card was memory starved.

I bought one when my card died at the beginning of the last mining craze, I planned to replace it in a month or two but prices went crazy so I spent a couple years playing find the VRAM intensive graphics setting in each game I played(in some cases turning things down from settings that ran fine on my much weaker 8GB rx 480).

he overclocked it. i wonder how much % gain it would've had just w/ new mem/bus.

This is cool, reconfiguring the entire memory setup, nabbing additional performance. I wish I could use a soldering gun, but being blind in one eye and having poor depth perception has made it damn near impossible for me every time I’ve tried.

Honestly though, It’d be cooler if he could do something like this on something more recent, capable of more than just 1080p where 256-bit/16GB of VRAM is pointless, especially at this tier of GPU. Not to take away from his work, but I think people would have been more interested if this was done on something like a 3060Ti, 6700XT, or a 3080 10GB.

This is cool, reconfiguring the entire memory setup, nabbing additional performance. I wish I could use a soldering gun, but being blind in one eye and having poor depth perception has made it damn near impossible for me every time I’ve tried.

Honestly though, It’d be cooler if he could do something like this on something more recent, capable of more than just 1080p where 256-bit/16GB of VRAM is pointless, especially at this tier of GPU. Not to take away from his work, but I think people would have been more interested if this was done on something like a 3060Ti, 6700XT, or a 3080 10GB.
Wonder if someone could set up a business modding these boards? Buy up some used boards on FleaBay and then sell them after modding. Or offer a service for guys to send in their boards for modding.

You really still running a Vega 56?
Yep, and it's still working fine. Not only that, but under Linux. The most graphically intensive game I've ran on it was Baldur's Gate 3, and with FSR2 enabled my frame rate was fine. Since I last ran the game, I know there's FSR3 mods for it. I'm waiting for a decent graphics card that's around $250 that isn't saddled with 8GB of VRAM. Can't find Intel A770's for that price, and you can forget AMD's 7600 XT 16GB models. The best graphics card to get now that isn't 8GB is the RTX 3060 12GB. I can find them used for $250 no problem, but I use Linux and Nvidia isn't the greatest on Linux. It's not terrible but I'd rather stick with AMD and Intel. The way I look at it is like this, the more I hold out the lower the prices will get. When AMD releases their RDNA3+ and Nvidia with their RTX-50 series, then GPU prices will fall. There's a possibility that Intel's Battlemage will be a great bang for the buck, but for sure AMD and Nvidia will first release $1000+ graphic cards.
he overclocked it. i wonder how much % gain it would've had just w/ new mem/bus.
No sir, I have not. There are other ways to tweak games for an older GPU.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Someone did it to an RTX 3070 as to make it 16Gb, I don't think Nvidia's drivers supported the change to well.

?? odd. this is from the OP
That, combined with a manual overclock, enabled the RX 5600 XT Red Devil to run 29% faster compared to its stock 6GB 192-bit configuration.”
You should see what happen to a ref RX 5700 with two eight power connectors once you flash it to XT bios, my XFX would clock higher than XT model.

Yep, and it's still working fine. Not only that, but under Linux. The most graphically intensive game I've ran on it was Baldur's Gate 3, and with FSR2 enabled my frame rate was fine. Since I last ran the game, I know there's FSR3 mods for it. I'm waiting for a decent graphics card that's around $250 that isn't saddled with 8GB of VRAM. Can't find Intel A770's for that price, and you can forget AMD's 7600 XT 16GB models. The best graphics card to get now that isn't 8GB is the RTX 3060 12GB. I can find them used for $250 no problem, but I use Linux and Nvidia isn't the greatest on Linux. It's not terrible but I'd rather stick with AMD and Intel. The way I look at it is like this, the more I hold out the lower the prices will get. When AMD releases their RDNA3+ and Nvidia with their RTX-50 series, then GPU prices will fall. There's a possibility that Intel's Battlemage will be a great bang for the buck, but for sure AMD and Nvidia will first release $1000+ graphic cards.

No sir, I have not. There are other ways to tweak games for an older GPU.
Best price on A770 is.

ASRock Challenger Arc A770 16GB = $279.99​

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-arc-a770-a770-cl-16go/p/N82E16814930113

The drivers are way better now, and I get to use FSR 3 and Frame Gen, I have the Sparkle Titan A770.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If I had the spare cash I'd be all over that. Hopefully I have more come next gen.

If I had the spare cash I'd be all over that. Hopefully I have more come next gen.
I don't know if it would work on your system in the sig, don't think the R5 1600 is Rebar / Sam support, you need a R5 3600 to even smell it.

I don't know if it would work on your system in the sig, don't think the R5 1600 is Rebar / Sam support, you need a R5 3600 to even smell it.
I haven't updated that in a while -- I have a 3400G in one system and a 3600X in another.

Back