Modded Xbox, and Halo2 = Bannage at XBL

Token User

Limp Gawd
Just a warning guys there are reports coming in that there was an update to the XBL service yesterday, and "they" are now detecting modded XBoxen and banning people.

Previously, just turning off the modchip was enough, but now, unless the original drvie is also detected, there are a lot of pissed off people being banned - despite having legit copies of Halo2.

See threads at TeamXecuter for more info :)

Hmm, I can't see the threads unless I register and I really don't want to, so I'll just ask you. Did these banned folks have their HD locked? Or was the bannage the result of someone's negligence to take all available precautions?

Every time I see a thread or post about someone that has broken the law and is complaing about getting 'caught' I think of one thing:

The line from the Jim Carrey movie called "Liar, Liar":

"Stop breaking the law a**hole"

:rolleyes:

I have to disagree with you there, not all people with modded Xboxes are "breaking the law". There are several perfectly good and legal reasons to have a modified Xbox.

heatsinker said:
I have to disagree with you there, not all people with modded Xboxes are "breaking the law". There are several perfectly good and legal reasons to have a modified Xbox.

OFT...

heatsinker said:
Hmm, I can't see the threads unless I register and I really don't want to, so I'll just ask you. Did these banned folks have their HD locked? Or was the bannage the result of someone's negligence to take all available precautions?
Sorry - been on that forum for awhile and thought you could browse without registering ...

Upgraded hard drives were locked. Mod chips disabled.

and for Tiny ...

Having a mod chip does not break the law. It DOES violate the warrantee, but is not illegal. In fact law suits on this issue from Sony and Microsoft have been thrown out by courts around the world.
Upgrading the hard drive does not break the law. Again, violates the warantee, but is not illegal.
Having a BIOS on the mod chip that is based on Microsoft copywritten code does break the law.
Placing copies of games that you own on the hard drive is a grey area - provided you own the original, the likelyhood of being prosecuted is slim (fair use - as per MP3 music and the DMCA).
Placing copies of games that you do not own on that hard drive DOES break the law - as per the DMCA.

I am yet to hear of test cases in the US for the use of mod chips.

Now, using a modified Xbox on the XBL service is a violation of the terms and service agreement. So it is illegal in the sense that you have broken a contract, and it IS Microsofts sandbox, so they make the rules - but previously, this was not too great an issue.

WARNING fellow [H]ard|Forum members that they run the risk of being banned is they have modded their Xbox (in much the same way we have all modded our computers, overclocking them, etc) is just a service to the community - so STFU.

And then people wonder why piracy still exists (aside from the other obvious reasons). U pay for the xbox, u pay for the game, u get banned.... gg micro$haft! :p

You shouldn't expect to mod your xbox and complain when you are not allowed to use MS network to play games.

It's their network.
Their servers.
Their rules.

You can mod your xbox all you want, but don't expect MS to support it.

The majority of Xbox chips are illegal because of the bios used to run them. Evolution X is the most popular. The XDK was used to develop it, therefore it and anything it is used to run is illegal.

odoe said:

I concur.

My second xbox is my modded one. I still own my launch day xbox (Nov 2001 $299) and it purrs along gracefully and keeps me satisfied to this day for all my XBL needs.

MX2times said:
I concur.

My second xbox is my modded one. I still own my launch day xbox (Nov 2001 $299) and it purrs along gracefully and keeps me satisfied to this day for all my XBL needs.
Winner! With the hardware down to $150 now, just have two. One for mods and one for Live.

I wonder what microsoft would do if they knew that I run linux on my XBOX???? :eek:

MX2times said:
I concur.

I plan on getting a 2nd xbox soon hopefully. I'd like to turn my modded one into a full fledge htpc

I find this whole situation utterly hilarious and I laugh at anyone who gets banned.

If I'm understanding this correctly if you simply have a mod chip in it, and still have the stock hd, etc. You're fine?

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:
If I'm understanding this correctly if you simply have a mod chip in it, and still have the stock hd, etc. You're fine?

Sounds like it.

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:
Provided that you disable your chip first and run the stock BIOS.

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:

well from what i've read around this wonderous internet, even people with stock HDDs are getting banned.

I can't make head's nor tails of it either, but that's why i'd have a second xbox for Live.

KaosDG said:
well from what i've read around this wonderous internet, even people with stock HDDs are getting banned.

I can't make head's nor tails of it either, but that's why i'd have a second xbox for Live.

oh great. Well I'll try it out I guess. and if it doesn't work....Well...I guess I'll be getting a new xbox. :p

odoe said:
You shouldn't expect to mod your xbox and complain when you are not allowed to use MS network to play games.

It's their network.
Their servers.
Their rules.

But YOU payed for the xbox. YOU payed for the game. YOU payed for the network to play on. If they are gonna ban people who actually legaly got the game then atleast put a warning on the box about how ur gonna be ghey about letting people make "choices"! :p

PS: And this talk about a 2nd xbox to play the game? My gawd can we support the idiots at micro$oft anymore for controlling u? I mean damn... Its just a GAME! =o

Tazman2 said:
But YOU payed for the xbox. YOU payed for the game. YOU payed for the network to play on. If they are gonna ban people who actually legaly got the game then atleast put a warning on the box about how ur gonna be ghey about letting people make "choices"! :p

PS: And this talk about a 2nd xbox to play the game? My gawd can we support the idiots at micro$oft anymore for controlling u? I mean damn... Its just a GAME! =o
I rented a car the other day. They took my money and everything! When I returned the car with a l33t spoiler, tiny rims + tires, and my name in Olde English vinyl letters on the back window, they got upset for some reason. Weird, huh.

Last I heard, when a modded xbox gets banned from Live, just the xbox itself is banned, not your account. So you can still play online, just not with a modded xbox.

bipolar said:
I rented a car the other day. They took my money and everything! When I returned the car with a l33t spoiler, tiny rims + tires, and my name in Olde English vinyl letters on the back window, they got upset for some reason. Weird, huh.

rent != own

Tazman2 said:
From the perspective of being "fair" to other online gamers - I agree with Microsoft banning modded Xboxen because they have the CAPABILITY to cheat. But, as said by Tazman2, all services are paid for by the consumer - so why shouldn't they be allowed to play?

Microsoft never say they don't want the modded xboxes online because of copyright infringement, violations of the DMCA, piracy, etc., they always put the arguement forward as being a controlled method to stop online cheating and provide an even playing experience for all subscribers. Whatever. They do it because they can - its their server.

Personally (and I don't go online for gaming) I would prefer MS to "tag" a user Id as being used on a modded box so that then it is up to YOU to choose if you play the person that could potentially be cheating.

There are other alternatives out there Kai, XBConnect, etc. Just as people support open operating systems, so should we support open gaming platforms.

Pecos said:
rent != own
You think you own the XBox Live network for a measly $5/month? You're renting it out essentially. Microsoft retains ownership of the network, and as such, their terms go. When on XBL, you play their way, or you don't play. Really not that hard a concept.

odoe said:
Last I heard, when a modded xbox gets banned from Live, just the xbox itself is banned, not your account. So you can still play online, just not with a modded xbox.

well that would be cool :) of course I think you get free xbox live trial with new xboxs now don't you?

Tazman2 said:

I agree 100%. It is your xbox and your game and you are paying to play online.

For cheating, this would be like saying since you have a modded computer you have the capability to cheat so we are not going to allow you to play online. Why not ban the people where "hacks" are found on the xbox. what they are doing now is kinda like saying well there are alot of people being killed by cars with after market parts, so lets arrest everyone with aftermarket parts. why punish everyone for somes mistakes.

I personaly think they did this to stop pirates from being able to play online. That is one thing that pc games have had a hard time dealing with. And with consols they control everything so they have the power to prevent it...even if it is punishing the inocent.

JEEVES

JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:
I agree 100%. It is your xbox and your game and you are paying to play online.

For cheating, this would be like saying since you have a modded computer you have the capability to cheat so we are not going to allow you to play online. Why not ban the people where "hacks" are found on the xbox. what they are doing now is kinda like saying well there are alot of people being killed by cars with after market parts, so lets arrest everyone with aftermarket parts. why punish everyone for somes mistakes.

I personaly think they did this to stop pirates from being able to play online. That is one thing that pc games have had a hard time dealing with. And with consols they control everything so they have the power to prevent it...even if it is punishing the inocent.

JEEVES
To use your logic, it would be "ok" to get on a bus completely naked, so long as you pay your fare. You paid, right, so the bus company no longer has any say as to what you can and can not do on their bus?

Happily, the legal system disagrees with this rather "unique" perspective, and I'm not forced to see naked fatties if I happen to ride the bus.

Microsoft = the bus company
XBL = the bus
You pay your fare in order to receive a service that they offer. This does not grant you carte blanche to scribble on the walls of the bus, drop trou, or fart in other people's face. On XBL, it doesn't give you the right to use a modded XBox. It's Microsoft's network, so you play their way, or you don't play. Not that hard a concept.

bipolar said:
To use your logic, it would be "ok" to get on a bus completely naked, so long as you pay your fare. You paid, right, so the bus company no longer has any say as to what you can and can not do on their bus?

Happily, the legal system disagrees with this rather "unique" perspective, and I'm not forced to see naked fatties if I happen to ride the bus.

XBL = the bus
You pay your fare in order to receive a service that they offer. This does not grant you carte blanche to scribble on the walls of the bus, drop trou, or fart in other people's face. On XBL, it doesn't give you the right to use a modded XBox. It's Microsoft's network, so you play their way, or you don't play. Not that hard a concept.

very well said. And your anaology makes me laugh :p

odoe said:

That's affirmative. The evil modded XBox's EEPROM (HD Key) is banned and a new one can be obtained at several different places, including your non-Live playing buddy's Xbox.

Soft mod the XBOX. Do a hard drive swap to a larger drive. Restore and use original drive for XBL (if you really want to use XBL), and use large modded drive for.. well, whatever other purposes you might have. Otherwise just use free or open services and not worry about Micro$lave.

If you notice it is not just Microsoft being "mean". Many PC game companies who have online servers, such as Battle.net or Steam. If they find you have modified any of the files they will ban you from the servers. People complain saying "I bought the game, I should be able to play online". The game isnt totally online, you bought the game giving you right to play the game, not online it is an extra feature. The servers that run Xbox live are property of microsoft, and by connecting with a modded Xbox you VIOLATE the End User License Agreement, which gives them RIGHT to ban you. If you dont like the rules, don't buy an Xbox and the game. It is also like modifying a car by adding a huge soundsystem in it (aka modchip/hd) , however you are driving down the street and a cop pulls you over for noise pollution. Now, he has every right to do that because you are violating a law (aka. EULA for Xbox). It is the rules of the road, if you dont like the rules GET OFF THE ROAD (aka XBL).

FWIW - The purpose of this post wasn't to get into the legalilties of modded xboxen, but to warn those that do have a modded box, and have been happily able to use XBL, that they could now get their asses handed to them by Microsoft for violating their TOS.

My Xbox is modded. I dont use XBL. But with Halo2 out there, there are a lot of people that will be jumping online again that might be in for a shock.

Oh yeah (and this one I agree with), latest latest rumour (and probably unreliable, but funny as hell if true) is that if save files form the leaked Halo2 are found - THAT equals instant bannage as well.

Enigma said:
I wonder what microsoft would do if they knew that I run linux on my XBOX???? :eek:

Probably send a signal to trigger the self destruct sequence hidden and undetectable in all Xboxes.

Anywho, it looks like my plans for modding have been put down :p .. I wonder how long it'll be before someone works there way around this.

bipolar said:

XBL = the bus

But with a bus service you are missing the "choice". you can choose to take your car or the bus. where as with xbox live, you have no choice but to ride the bus. This is why I do not play consols online, it is a monopoly on the online console comunity. Why not have it open to the people like pc online gaming? Then you have a choice of where to play and even to have your own "bus". not that hard a concept.

JEEVES

About time. They might manage to sell a few more Xboxes this way and maybe come out on top. You know a lot of people are going to buy the PSTwo just because it looks so neat.

Back