modded Ikea cabinet

amrogers3

Gawd
2FA
Joined
Nov 7, 2010
Messages
664
Apologize if this isn't the right forum for this post.

Bought a two shelf Ikea cabinet for a SuperMicro rack I am running pfSense on. I have a 502L-200B SuperMicro chassis with the SuperMicro X7SPA-HF mobo. The mobo is fanless and the chassis is fanless.

There is a door on the front of cabinet and I cut out the back of the cabinet for ventilation. I couldn't find a pic of the unit else I would've post it here.

I have the SuperMicro 1U on the bottom of the cabinet with about 5 inches of clearance between the bottom of cabinet and shelf.

Any recommendations on a small fan, not case fan, but regular fan you plug in the wall? Looking for something quiet. I found a couple online but figured you guys might have done something like this before and would have some good ideas/suggestions.

Thanks.
 
Why not a lower cfm 120-140mm fan that you can plug into the server's power supply and then mount that to the back of the cabinet?
If it MUST plug into a wall I suppose a small desk fan would work.
 
Why not a lower cfm 120-140mm fan that you can plug into the server's power supply and then mount that to the back of the cabinet?
If it MUST plug into a wall I suppose a small desk fan would work.

If you have spare AC adapters(5V, 7V, 9V, 12V) laying around, you can solder it to a computer case fan. I think that's the most efficient option.
 
Thanks for replies. I might try hooking a fan up to mobo. Researching options at this point.

Never used these but this is another option:

cabinet fan
 
There ya go! That will very likely do the trick. They also have a few other kits that include 120mm fans. The 120mm fans will likely move more air quieter :cool:
 
Back
Top