mod my mixer?

phiber

Limp Gawd
i have a Rane TTM54i mixer and being a modder lol... i wanted to mod it this is a pic
ttm54.gif

basically i want to paint it blue or grey but i dont wanna loose the lettering on the panel... got any ideas?

plus i want to mod leds next to the slots so it kinda has a glowing effect through the slots... so im looking for any help.
TIA

I'm thinking plexiglass. Lots of plexiglass...

and neons!! neons...

The thing might need a fan, too...

Seriously, though, cool idea.

i like the idea of plexiglass over top, but you might have to have it custom done. you could also ingrave it and have leds on the edges.

that would be pretty crazy.. but the top cover is REALLY thin like 1/16th i think ... so the plexi thing would be hard.. and i cant really mod all the knobs/faders to fit a bigger plexiglass...

all thoes holes :-/ and stuff would be REALLY hard...
plus engraving.. i dont have alotta money to spend on this..

you dont have to engrave it just stick a transparency sheet under the plexy, and light that up :cool:

the inside of thise thing really isnt attractive i rather keep most of this close to original...

This is what I work on in my schools theatre...
http://www.directproaudio.com/images/products/crest-x4-large.jpg

any way to mod that? jkjk

I think you should go and do the acrylic thing, get tinted blue acrylic, and put it on the botto mand back, then paint the rest a metallic blue...
or something similiar, just match the colours. it would look ncie nad you dont ahve to worry about all that messy hole business

RagE Note: DO NOT directly link images from others' sites. Host them yourself

didn't the beatles record sargent peppers on only four channels of audio? and what's it up to now? 30ish?

Originally posted by randyc
[3MG]http://www.directproaudio.com/images/products/crest-x4-large.jpg[/IMG]

I think you should go and do the acrylic thing, get tinted blue acrylic, and put it on the botto mand back, then paint the rest a metallic blue...
or something similiar, just match the colours. it would look ncie nad you dont ahve to worry about all that messy hole business

Holy fuck of doom, that is massive. :eek: I sure hope you don't have to activly manage all of those lines at the same time...

Painting might be hard on that first mixter, though. You could possibly reverse the letters/numbers/whatever on it, then paint the entire thing, and reapply the letters/numbers/whatever, but that would be tricky and a total bitch to do.

take off the bezel, scan it, and send the scan in to a place and have them make you a custom sticker that will be the labels for the controls, and a protectant for the paint.

well,
I have to actively watch monitor and balance about 20 at the most during one show...
and then I gotta watch four subgroups. Next to me in the sound booth is a two racks full of equipment that inputs...
and teh girl sitting next to me is the light girl, hses gots her problems tooo!

ill take picturtes some day

Originally posted by Ted Kazinski
take off the bezel, scan it, and send the scan in to a place and have them make you a custom sticker that will be the labels for the controls, and a protectant for the paint.
you know how much like this would cost?

well,
I have to actively watch monitor and balance about 20 at the most during one show...
and then I gotta watch four subgroups. Next to me in the sound booth is a two racks full of equipment that inputs...
and teh girl sitting next to me is the light girl, hses gots her problems tooo!

ill take picturtes some day

Daaaaaang. I sure don't envy you. :p I perfer to be performing, not mixing. :p

Sorry, it was the first website I googled up. Has absolutely nothing to do with sex changes, what so ever.

Originally posted by Ted Kazinski
Sorry, it was the first website I googled up. Has absolutely nothing to do with sex changes, what so ever.

lol I know... :p It's just, when the eye looks at the words without spaces, the first word that is complete is Sticker, then sex, then change. It's just... Coincidence that it happens to do that. ;)

http://www.directproaudio.com/images/products/crest-x4-large.jpg

holy mixer batman!

that makes my lil 16 channel jealous :(

DSCN3721.JPG

I forgot where you can buy them but they have rub on letter transfers Like the black dell keyboards use them they actually are rubbed on over the painted metal or plastic

Are you looking for a solution for low-light? I've got a couple of tricks up my sleeve if that's what you're looking for; the ability to operate the mixer with near no light at all (and no cheezy gooseneck lamp either).

That would be really cool to have lights coming out of the fader slots. Maybe I can help you with that. :D (nohomo)

Well here's what I use. I just got it about a month ago and I just love it....

djconsole01.jpg

It lights up all by itself if need be...

djconsole02.jpg

I'll have to work up a couple of sketches for you of what I'm thinking may be your lighting solution. I'll try and have them up for you by tomorrow.

Originally posted by eL c0L0mb1aNo
That's pretty cool jmroberts70.

Thanks! I'm still getting used to it but I can finally scratch with mp3's. Sure does make my DJ gigs a lot easier to run.

I'm still working on a couple of sketches for lighting your panel though...

Leds in the mixer slots might work... ascii time!!

The top thing is the slot with the slider, and the two little =) things are not smileys, they are leds. They would be pointed up, and depending on how much clearence there is between the slide pot and the cover, 3mm leds might fit!

Edit: Well, that didn't work :p So I loaded the gimp and drew something freehand :)
slider.gif

Originally posted by ’m‚³‚ñ
Daaaaaang. I sure don't envy you. :p I perfer to be performing, not mixing. :p

its the least complicated thing in the world...if you have it set up right, unless someone starts screaming for NO REASON (and yes you should know the show well enough to be able to compensate for planned screaming) itll be fine...

Originally posted by kronchev
its the least complicated thing in the world...if you have it set up right, unless someone starts screaming for NO REASON (and yes you should know the show well enough to be able to compensate for planned screaming) itll be fine...

Well, it depends on the kind of show. :p

It's easy, huh? Shows that this guy at SOU is even more of a retard than everyone calls him. :rolleyes: I heard that in a show, he didn't bring up the three main mics in the show. It's like he wasn't paying attention.

It's easy, huh? Shows that this guy at SOU is even more of a retard than everyone calls him. :rolleyes: I heard that in a show, he didn't bring up the three main mics in the show. It's like he wasn't paying attention.

clipping your mixer = no tx
<3 Crest audio

For something simple, you could do a square of plexi underneath the lip of it, and illuminate tha

======= <lip
--------| < plexi
|
|

go the ascii art :p

Mistakes happen?

Originally posted by rally9x
Mistakes happen?

No, the guy is a complete idiot...Everyone in the department can't stand him. Thank god he's a senior, and I won't have to deal with him next year.

Originally posted by phiber
basically i want to paint it blue or grey but i dont wanna loose the lettering on the panel... got any ideas?

Actually, yes. Bit-Tech did a great write up in exactly how to do this at home with an ink jet printer. Article here. Paint it a lighter shade of grey or blue, then use black or dark color ink to make the lettering.

Lighting: don't know what the interior looks like, but most modding supply houses carry 4" Cold Cathodes. I'd go for those, assuming you have a 12V line somewhere inside. If not, mod a 12V wall-mount transformer and tap into the 120 line. Should look good shining through the faders. Maybe a couple of 80mm lighted fans? You can never have too much cooling.

4" and 6" CC's.

Mini Cold Cathodes.

Other lighting options.

as far as painting goes without ruining your numbers/lines/letters, use petroleum jelly....seriously. When you go to paint, take a que-tip and dab on the jelly over the letters 'n stuff, make sure to be very thurough but not sloppy, and then paint with a can. I would recommend doing it in a cold room, so the jelly doesn't melt. After you're done painting, let the paint dry and then take another que-tip and clean it up. If it looks a bit messed up get a really thin paint brush and some touch-up model paint and fix it. Best thing I can think of how to keep your markers safe.

P.S. If it doesn't work, don't blame me. It's just a technique I've heard of before. Hope it works for you though.

i thought of something else... i could use clear red UV paint so it will only be red when i have a UV light on...

Back