[Mod] Logitech G19 w/ only LCD (no keyboard)

MaddBomber83

Weaksauce
Hello;

I'm not really a modder, or even good with tools... but necessity is the mother of invention!

IMG_20140811_200818.jpg

My oldest spilt water on my G19 and then kept playing it. Prior it has survived much worse, but a quick unplug and a cleaning kept it running.

There were 5 keys that I could not get to work, even after taking it apart and doing a full cleaning (including the actual matrix area).

So, I've picked up a new keyboard (Corsair's K40) while I wait for the new Corsair with the RGB Cherry Switches. I wanted to keep the G19's display so I did some internet searching and could not find anything where someone has modded it before. There was even a post here from the start of this year saying that it may not be possible.

Well, it is possible and there are two primary ways I can see going about it. I'll discuss and provide pictures below for anyone else foolish enough to hack apart a $200 keyboard.

(I'm looking over at a pile of old logitechs and wondering about doing the same to them...)
(I'm also on order with one of those kickstarter 3d printers; so also wondering about putting together a custom enclosure for it; I digress)

First we take off the top part:
IMG_20140811_175536.jpg

Take off and keep other parts (be careful not to ruin the key circuits!):
IMG_20140811_180425.jpg

Same on this side:
IMG_20140811_180430.jpg

Here we are with the key circuit removed (and back plate):
- Those bottom pieces are part of the 2nd route; you'll want to keep them if you want a slightly larger final product with LEDs and buttons that work.
IMG_20140811_181418.jpg

Next you cut the base board:
- If you are going the second route, you would remove the 4" shown so that you can fuse together the bottom and top parts of the keyboard. You'll need the extra space to shove the key circuit back in.
IMG_20140811_184330.jpg

This is how short the first route (one I took) gets cut:
- You lose functionality of your keys when you cut the keyboard circuit.
- Prior to this, everything works the same; so if you need the multimedia keys or the panel keys then make sure to adjust.
IMG_20140811_194157.jpg

Now we screw back on the back screws:
- There are 7 of them, so this is very stable / solid.
- If that bottom part (opening) were going to show, I would fill it with some sort of putty and sand it down.
- I still put the plates and membranes back in just because it felt weird leaving them out (the keys lose their spring ness, even though they don't work now).
IMG_20140811_193032.jpg IMG_20140811_193040.jpg

Here we are standing up:
- Looks nice; also room to feed the cord from whatever keyboard you are putting in front of it through.
- You can also consider cutting the middle black part out some as there are no wires there. If you are laying it down, or just need the cord to go there; it may be an option.
IMG_20140811_200621.jpg

So, the route I took:
- Shorter
- USB Works
- Keys do not

Alternate Route:
- I show where to cut, fusing was a bit more than I wanted to do though.
- The key circuit gets gently folded / shoved into the reduced space.
- All the media, lighting and LCD keys are functional.
- It is a bit longer, and I doubt would stand up the way the short one does.

Last edited:
Sweet, you should mount it under you monitor so you don't have to look down that much to see it.

I'll have to consider that once I'm able to actually change some things about the display. For right now the intent was to keep things the same, just with a different keyboard.

Hi I registered here because I'm very interested in doing this to my old G19 v1 and I went as far as disassembling it but I'm honestly stumped at how I should cut it exactly, does anyone maybe have any more detailed instructions?

very cool! never really understood the purpose of those little keyboard LCD's though

I'm in the process of doing this myself and I'm wondering how you navigate the LCD without the keypad?

I tried it without the keys and the screen works, but i couldn't find a way to interact with or change the apps. Can you do it with the software somehow or am I missing something?

Back