Mod AGP & PCI slots?

SelRahc

Limp Gawd
Ok just some off-the-wall thinking here. Is it possible to change out the actual AGP & PCI connectors on a motherboard if you had a fine micro-tip solder iron/kit? Example: Change non UV to uv connectors. Not sure if this can be done, because I don't know if the "layers" in the MB pcb have different channels in them.

Any thoughts?

Sure its possible, but getting all the solder out of each hole will be a pita.
Dont worry about the inners layers in the mobo, taking solder out of the hole doesnt affect anything.

Yup, as long as the connectors are complete through holes, you shouldn't have a problem with layers. You'll probably want some solder wick to suck up any of the solder in the holes. Good luck :D

Do the pins on the connector itself need to link (solder) with a path on the inside layers of the pcb, or just the paths on the outside (top and bottom)? Sorry if that's a confusing question. I don't know if there are multiple solder paths within the inner layers of the pcb or not.... are there?

SarverSystems said:
Good luck soldering BGA. Aint gonna happen in a million years.

It could happen. I actually found a few guides to do it on the net already that say you can do it from home. But it seem you hafta go through alota crap to get it right. Not to mention be an expert solderer. And you need alota specialized soldering equipment to do it.

So in the end, forget that. It's just not worth it. It would be faster paying someplace like solder.net to do it for me LOL. But im sure they charge a heck of alot to do it.

Oh well it was a thought at least haha.

If all you want are UV reactive PCI slots why would you go through the trouble of soldering about 200 connections when you can just paint them?

I was ganna add a "Pass the uv paint" comment in my last post too... lol.

I had the idea for 2 reasons really though. 1 is painting usually just looks like crap. I haven't seen many painted MB's that actually look good.

But the main reason was because its jus tnot a mod you see being done all the time. That is for a good reason though haha.

But after thinking about it, even if i DID have the equipment, the thought of killing a few new MB's just to get it to work just doesn't seem worth it to me hehe.

SelRahc said:
Do the pins on the connector itself need to link (solder) with a path on the inside layers of the pcb, or just the paths on the outside (top and bottom)? Sorry if that's a confusing question. I don't know if there are multiple solder paths within the inner layers of the pcb or not.... are there?

No they dont, the copper plating inside the hole links all the top/inner/bottom layers together. So as long as the solder makes a connection on the top or bottom of the hole with the connector everything will be fine.

forcefed said:
No they dont, the copper plating inside the hole links all the top/inner/bottom layers together. So as long as the solder makes a connection on the top or bottom of the hole with the connector everything will be fine.
agreeded. just watch it closly

As discussed in a recent thread started by me regarding DIMM slots, the trouble isn't the soldering--it's the desoldering. It's very difficult to pull out a component with hundreds of pins holding it in. You would need to do an extremely tedious and complete job of removing the solder from each pin, or find a way to simultaneously heat all pins so that the component comes out in one fell sweep.

xonik said:
As discussed in a recent thread started by me regarding DIMM slots, the trouble isn't the soldering--it's the desoldering. It's very difficult to pull out a component with hundreds of pins holding it in. You would need to do an extremely tedious and complete job of removing the solder from each pin, or find a way to simultaneously heat all pins so that the component comes out in one fell sweep.

When I worked at a Best Buy service center as a tech, we had a heat gun with a large collection of desoldering attachments specifically for multi-pin soldering. Each attachment had small tubes to heat indevidual pins. I couldn't find the specific ones we had, but I did find this:

http://www.computronics.com.au/hakko/nozzle/

(also check out their LCD displays)

Well apparently you're not going to do this mod, but major props to you if you could. It sounds difficult and like a lot of work! But it's not something you see every day, so give it a shot if you have the confidence!

ness1469 said:
If all you want are UV reactive PCI slots why would you go through the trouble of soldering about 200 connections when you can just paint them?

listen to this guy.......why would you bother pulling out all those pins to replace it with an imaginary UV agp slot? :tard:

^ he answered why, he's not a tard, I can respect his reasons.

I only suggest that if you are deadset on doing this mod, that you practice with an old board you don't give a f about. That would be one incredible mod though, one to be appreciated for sure.

Qtip42 said:

you know better than that
when senior members lead with such an example
it makes our job all that much harder
and since we are not AI tinkertoy automatons constructed by Kyle :p
(as popularly held) we'd like to avoid that ;)

Another way is to carfully destroy the plastic around the old connector, hten pull out the reamaining pins one by one.

Now taking a dremel to the slots was 1 way i thought about. Leaving just the pins, and pulling them 1 at a time.

This definately sounds like it would be such a pain in the butt. And 1 little goofup and you've trashed a new board.

As much as this mod sounds interesting, I think it will hafta wait for a while. Seeing as I'm just about to do my FIRST mod coming up, this one is probably a little more advanced lol. Baby steps first for me. ^_^

Thanks for the input though.

Why don't you just mask the board and paint the slots with UV reactive paint? What you're proposing is MUCH more trouble than it's worth. Painting the slots would yield the same result and be a fraction of the work.

Back