Moby Dick to be Rewritten Using Emoticons

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Yes, you read that right. Fred Berenson, a research associate at New York University, is going to rewrite Moby Dick using nothing but emoticons. That’s not the most flabbergasting part though as you might expect something random like this from the Internet. No, the most confusing part of this story is that this is a funded project, courtesy of Kickstarter.

In his Kickstarter plea, he wrote: "I needed a public domain book that I could get the plain-text version of easily. The Bible seemed too obvious. I then wanted something very large and long, so that I could demonstrate the scale possible with Amazon's Mechanical Turk."

I just finished read the book and I am not sure to understand the motivation of doing such a task. Maybe this guy should find a girlfriend or just go fishing...

Just what we need, classic literature written in a language the Myspace generation can read. ;)

Its going to be written in Japanese Emoji, the Japanese version of Emoticons. They probably have millions of them to describe every wink and hand gestures that is invented.

Now to do something in the default [H] emoticons, thats something I'd like to see :D

I can see the reasoning behind this. Imagine trying to close up the communications gap between the civilized world and, say, natives in Africa nobody knows how to talk to.

Hell, it might even make us go "oh hey, so this is what they meant in the cuneiform/papyrus we read under the pyramid we dug up"

Its going to be written in Japanese Emoji, the Japanese version of Emoticons. They probably have millions of them to describe every wink and hand gestures that is invented.

Now to do something in the default [H] emoticons, thats something I'd like to see :D
:cool::confused::eek::):cool::rolleyes::p:D;):(:):D:eek::mad::mad::confused::rolleyes::cool:;):D:(:):D:cool::rolleyes::confused::eek::mad::cool:;):D:(:):eek::D:cool::eek::mad::confused::rolleyes::confused:;):D:confused::(:):eek::cool::rolleyes::cool::D:eek::p;):cool::D:):(;):cool::rolleyes::confused::eek::cool::p:D;):(:);):rolleyes::confused::eek::cool::p:D:eek:;):rolleyes::eek::confused::mad::cool::rolleyes::D;):(:):mad::cool::eek::confused::cool::rolleyes::D;):):p:mad::eek::cool::rolleyes:

^ Guess the book. :D

I have the answer for you. The Downfall of the Western Civilization. As in all civilizations. Creativity stops, people stop producing original and genuine things and get away with these contraptions. Same thing happened in Rome, same thing happens now here.

Oh btw, being instructed, "civilized" and having a culture doesn't mean you can't be stupid. I think the German people demonstrated that from 1936 to 1943.

Back