mobo temps vs thermal diods

poopypants

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 14, 2004
Messages
196
Just wanted to get a general consensus on which temps are closer to the real ones. I have a neo2 plat running a 3200 with a xp90. Core cell shows my idle/load temps as 40c/53c (mbm5 shows a few degrees lower). I also have a thermal diod from my fan controller placed in between the middle fins of the xp90 and I'm getting these temps 27c/31c. My case is fairly well ventilated (2x80mm in/1x120mm out, [2x60mm and 1x80mm][psu]). I think the sw temps are a bit high (and I have read that else where too, that the msi sw temps are a bit high) and the thermal diods are a bit low and thats running at 1.4 vcore. When I push it up to 1.5 v the sw load goes up to about 56c and diod shows 32c. So what do u guys think?
 
That sensor you put in between the fins isn't accurate for sure. hmmm...

I think what I would do is put the sensor on the bottom base of the heatsink... NOT ..... I REPEAT NOT....so that interferes with contact with the heatspreader...... But instead close to the place where the heatspreader and heatsink contact... at the bottom of the heatsink...

Did my babble make any sense? I hope so. Please don't misinterpret my attempt to help and fry your chip!!!!
 
I'd say your mobo temps are the most accurate. I'd definitely go by that. Could you find out what your case temps are at? Your mobo probably has a case temperature sensor on it. Your CPU temps should probably be somewhere around 10 degrees higher depending on the fan you have mounted on the heatsink.

EDIT: Another option if you like accuracy would be to tape a thermal diode onto the bottom of your CPU right underneath the core using thermal tape. The fan on my Volcano 12 uses a probe like this to regulate its speed.
 
thnx for the replies guys. i actually have 4 diods in my case and i do have one underneath the heatsink as well as between the fins. heres the run down on the temps using both hardware and software

cpu runninng at 235x10 1.5 v currently xp90 with panaflo at 2900 rpm

diods:
-between the fins in the middle of xp90 28/32
-underneath heatsink taped right above where cpu makes contact 25/29
-case 25/26

sw (through corecell):
-cpu 42/55
-case 27/? (didn't pay attention to load case temps)

now what's really weird is that i get much lower temps from the diod next to the cpu, i have had a diod taped to the bottom side of the xp90 before, right by the heat pipes and those temps read about the same as the diod from the fins. I am actually speculating that my real temps are somewhere in between the hw and sw temps. Also I was considering putting some ceramique on the tips of the diods to get better temps readings, but I'm not sure how much that will help.
 
With great percausion, i recently drilled a small hole in the side of my head spreader on my 3800+ and use some articsilver epoxy if put a thermal diote in there..works great. Its reads the temps a little warmer than when i had it right next to the block.

But a better was is to just epoxy the diote to the side of the Heat spreader. But use the white thermal epoxy not silver epoxy.. that should have the same results... mine just looks way cooler. I have been meaning to snap a pic, Maybe when i take the case apart to paint ill take one.
 
killa bee, do u have any pics of the hsf and diod. also what kinda temps do u usally get using the diod.

edit: my bad just read the pt about no pics yets :D
 
I useally run about 52c acourding to the Diote in the Heat spreader. This is at 2.7Ghz, 1.62v CPU with my Alpha PAL 8150 HS and fan on med....
 
I am running an athlon 64 3200+ @ 3400+ speeds and 1.6 voltage, with a thermaltake Silent boost HS and thermaltake smartfan and I load @ around 49 :)

so I think mbm and corecell are a bit off, but probably not by much.
 
Back
Top