Mobo Possibly Dead?

Keith130

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 17, 2003
Messages
378
I have an old motherboard that I though was dead but today I plauuged it in for the hell of it and it seems to be working. It doesnt have any RAM or processor in it but I can get the power button to work, could it still be dead, I reconed that the PSU blew last time so just stuck in the cupboard.

EDIT: Its socket A if you were wondering
 
I put one of my 1.1 Durons amd some RAM in it and got it to post, if it post's then its fine yeh?
 
you might want to give a bit more info - such as brand/model of the motherboard.
Ok, power supplies die easy - and that is probably the case in this situation.
However, when the power supply dies - it can damage the board, cpu, memory, harddrives, vid card, etc. by sending a power spike to them.
So you need to test more than just a post.
Look for Mem86 - google it - it is a memory test program that creates its own bootable floppy and tests your computer that way -
this will ensure that the memory controller onboard works (most likely part damaged by power spike)
Then try an install of Windows see if that works well - then download prime95 and sisoft sandra - these will find any flaws in stablity.
If the system passes these try a 3dmark program - if passes all these tests you have a system that most likely not harmed by the psu death.
 
I've ordered some new stuff, eg new 2000+ XP, HDD and CD drive ect to get it working. I run those programmes and see what happens. With integrated graphics wont it suck ass at any 3DMark ?
 
yes your 3dmark scores will "suck" with integrated graphics - but the point is will the system complete the tests or not - if so good, if not you have something wrong...
What is the board you are dealing with?
 
Back
Top