Mobo or PSU?

taylorwilsdon

2[H]4U
Well, this is a conundrum. My motherboard has been very flakey (no keyboard works once you're in the bios) but all of a sudden, it won't turn on at all.

My question is, PSU or motherboard? The reason I ask is because the PSU fan does not spin when I turn it on, nor does it provide power to an optical drive I hooked up to it, but I'm not sure if those are mobo dependent or not.

My question is, should the PSU fan be spinning from the second its plugged in/flipped in on position or should it start spinning when the computer starts (which it can't, because the mobo is dead)

You need to jump the psu to power an optical drive w/o a motherboard. The fan should turn on when the board powers on, not when you flip the switch.

If the board was flaky then I'd put my money on the board, but you should test the psu in a different system (or jump it to see if it still at least powers on) and test a known-good psu with that board too. (Just because the psu powers on without any load doesn't mean it's stable enough to run a system, but at least you'll have an idea.)

That's what I was expecting to hear... :(

The worst part is I bought this piece of shit from newegg, who have the nerve to make me pay return shipping AND a restocking fee on a DEFECTIVE MOTHERBOARD.

Obviously, I'm going to call and bitch until they remove the fees and pay the shipping, but still. And now, the day I set aside to building my PC was completely wasted.

That's what I was expecting to hear... :(

The worst part is I bought this piece of shit from newegg, who have the nerve to make me pay return shipping AND a restocking fee on a DEFECTIVE MOTHERBOARD.

Obviously, I'm going to call and bitch until they remove the fees and pay the shipping, but still. And now, the day I set aside to building my PC was completely wasted.

It's standard fare for any e-tailer to make you pay return shipping fees, so you're probably out of luck there.

As far as a restocking fee, they will only charge that if you are going to choose a different motherboard instead of exchanging it for the same item. Again, that is standard with 99.9% of e-tailers.

Back