MOBO on fire , will it melt.

Arnge

Limp Gawd
I got my self an 8800 GTS SC instead of my 7900GS KO

and boy is it hot , nad i mean that in a bad way.

the core is on 70 after 30 mins idle.

the the mobo which had a temp of 5-7 c on the old card

actually got to 63 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can it get worse .

and is that gonna melt my mobo , or damage my north bridge

it is a 945MSI GM2

try getting a pci slot fan, you probably have way for the air to get out fo the case (the 8800gts is a big card and can block airflow) that should bring the temps down... but thats still pretty hot

I have 4 case fans and my 8800 is 68-74c idle, been that way since I got it when they first came out. It used to bother me but now I don't care, it never gives me a problem and if it fries its under warranty.

I am building my new rig once the parts come, I may take the hsf off it since its going to be out of the system anyway and clean the stock thermal paste off and apply as5, see if that helps at all.

Sounds like you mobo is having a hard time supplying voltage to your 8800. What kind of power supply do you have?

Not to steal the thread from the OP but...

What is up the temps of these nvidia 8800 cards? My buds got two 8800gtx's in sli and the back of his lian li gets so hot during normal gaming use that you can't touch it to move it. Granted, its two cards putting out that heat, but I can imagine one card doing something similar.

I have an ocz powerstream 520 in my system. I changed the fan to manual for the 8800, set it at 85 percent and it went down to 58c

Does increasing the fan speed , decrease its life span ?

Not substantially. Worst comes to worst you buy a replacement HSF in 2 years or so, assuming you're still using the card when and if the fan gives out. I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Back