Mobo not booting...Please help me!!

Hi,
I recently assembled a new system with the following specs:

Intel D975XBX2 (bad axe 2) motherboard
Intel core 2 duo e6300 processor
corsair xms2 twin2x1024-6400c4 memory (4-4-4-12)
evga 7950gt 512mb

I installed all the components and everything booted fine. I installed windows, upgraded the bios of the motherboard and have been using the system flawlessly for a few days. But a few hours back i noticed that my memory was running at 5-5-5-18 at 1.8v. So i decided to set it to its default values at 4-4-4-12 2.1v. But after i did this and rebooted my computer, it did not start. The lcd showed no input. I guess it did not even reach the POST.
Then I decided to reset the BIOS by clearing the cmos but the problem persisted.
Then I decided to recover the BIOS. So I set the mobo jumper to recovery mode and put in the recovery floppy (as per instructions on intel website), but it just does not read the floppy.
I tried to use one of the ramsticks only but the problem persists if i use any of the ramsticks. If i remove all the ram then the mobo beeps 3 times(the mobo manual says it is due to ram not found).
Now i do not know what to do next and i need your advice. Please help.

if worse comes the worse you may need a new bios chip... hhhmmmmmmm

try taking about the battery of the cmos for awhile at least 30 minutes and stick it back in and check if it boots...

I took the battery out and put if after 30 mins or so but the same thing happens. The lights and fans are on but the keyboard is not responding. All this happened after i changed the ram settings from the bios. I hope it does not mean dead ram? I have had asus boards before and it automatically reset the bios after a crash. is there no similar thing for intel boards? I mean all i did was change the settings in nthe bios. if it didnt work then shouldnt it automatically reset itself to default settings? Even the bios recovery method is not working.

I had the same problem, didin't know how to fix it, and let a pro do it..and he did, i'm sure that there are a bunch of pros on these forums, if you still don't know how to solve this problem and no one helps..you should probally take it into a shop and get a professional opinion.

I read somewhere when i googled my problem that reinstalling the procesor may help (though i m pretty sure this is not the cause in my case), but this didnt help either. I am sure someone on this forum wil definitely be able to help me. I mean if i cant find help here on this forum then i might as well give up all hope.

extreme2006 said:
I took the battery out and put if after 30 mins or so but the same thing happens. The lights and fans are on but the keyboard is not responding. All this happened after i changed the ram settings from the bios. I hope it does not mean dead ram? I have had asus boards before and it automatically reset the bios after a crash. is there no similar thing for intel boards? I mean all i did was change the settings in nthe bios. if it didnt work then shouldnt it automatically reset itself to default settings? Even the bios recovery method is not working.

Did you disconnet the AC power from the computer and then take the battery out? Some times if you don't the bios will not fully reset.

Just a thought, Luck :)

yes i disconnected the power supply cable and then took the battery out. but it still didnt work

I am going to buy a new ram stick today and see if it is the ram that is causing the problem. But i think the ram has got to be ok because if i remove it the motherboard does give a "ram not found" beep. But lets see what happens when i put new ram into it.

when you reset the cmos, how did you do it? procedure (to be thurough)

1) power off (switch off at power supply, leave power cable connected, it supplies a ground source.)
2) move reset jumper to reset.
3) switch power supply back to on, hit power button on front (fans should spin for just a sec)
4) switch power supply off and move the jumper back
5) power up and boot.

that is atleast how I have always done it. I've found that if I do it any other way it doesnt always work...

otherwise I would remove your ram and try 1 stick in all the different slots. try different ram (different brand and/or speed)

Problem solved!! I did two things:
first i removed the cmos battery for a couple of hours and then i tried ram from different vendor at 533 mhz.
the motherboard booted fine and then i shut down the comp and then inserted my original ram sticks and everything worked.
Thanks a lot for all the much needed help that all of you guys provided.

aahhh ok... cool.. maybe i should of said a couple of hours instead of 30 minutes... lol good job man :D

Back