• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Mobo help for q6600

OlIv0rIolI

Gawd
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
634
I need help selecting a good mobo for q6600. I am currently considering p35 chipset.

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DQ6
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128046

ABIT IP35 Pro
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127030

ASUS P5K DELUXE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131182

I am not too sure which one to go with. I looking for reliablity. Moderate overclocks of 3-3.2ghz. no sata problems as I hate to lose any hard drive data. decently cool and low power consumption.
 
All of those boards, and a couple others, are compared in-depth here.

I personally went for the Abit (just ordered a day ago)
 
So, for low power consumption, go with the Abit or Gigabyte. They can all OC pretty well, and should all be reliable since the P35 chipset is supposedly rock solid. Time will tell how reliable each brand is, but right now its too early to tell.
 
Reliability and stability are my main concerns. I need a quality mobo to last 4-5 yrs without degradation. And I don't want a mobo that might not work right out of the box.

I read some reviews and there seems to be some problems concerning asus regarding sata, and abit seems to have sound problems. Are they common?
 
Personally, stability is my foremost most important concern in a mobo, then OC potential. Looking at reviews, and users on forums, it seems like the ASUS P5K Deluxe might be a right choice for me. I dont mind paying a premium, i just want it to work stable and not have any headaches down the road.

I looked up various forums on the asus problems, OC.net, XS, etc. and found that the sata problems concerned with the p5k were related to the dvd drives, but not the hard drives.

Where exactly did you see threads concerning HD reliability?
 
How important is overclocking to you?

I just bought an Intel D975XBX2 (BadAxe 2). It's Intel's only mainboard made with overclocking in mind. Putting it in this weekend.

Pros - all the features (8xSATA, firewire, GigE, HD Audio, pretty blue flame heatsinks, and (if you still need them) some legacy support (IDE, LPT, RS-232). Stability, with great stock performance and some overclocking support. Full quad-core support, lots of tweaking options. Mature BIOS and driver support.

Cons (depends on your point of view) -older 975X chipset, will likely overclock but perhaps not as well as a cutting-edge (though possibly less stable) mainboard. Single NIC. Only two PCI slots.

I looked around and this was one of the few boards that did everything I wanted without being too insane on price ($179 shipped for the OEM version, with a free gaming headset thrown in). Of course, if you want a P35 board, I'd probably go ASUS. I haven't used Gigabyte in recent years so I can't be fair, and while the Abit looks good on paper, I've not trusted their boards for a little while now (which is a shame, since I owned several of their early boards and loved them) for stability, or having the options I wanted.
 
Back
Top