mobo for 6850K

blert

2[H]4U
Always wanted to build a X99 rig. Looking for a board with overclocking optionsr that will allow me to push the chip to at lest 4.2 but I don't care about things like wireless, Bluetooth, dual LAN, OC panel- stuff like that

Prefer to stick with Asus or Asrock as I've had minimal issues using those brands. Gigabyte can go die in an electrical fire. Haven't used MSI since 939 days

System will be multipurpose- gaming, video editing, light photoshop work, etc

Other components I'll use for the build:
Win 10 Pro 64 will be OS
BeQuiet 1200 watt psu
Thermaltake 3.0 360 AIO
2x GTX 1080ti
1 TB regular SSD for boot drive
2 X 6 TB WD Black spinners
32 GB . Skill F4-3200C14Q-32GTZ (might add another kit later)

Budget is 300-ish. Price really isn't too much of a concern I just dislike paying for things I'll probably never use.

Another thing I did note as I was researching is that many of the X99 boards will only support the 6850K if it has the latest bios. Are new boads shipping with the latest bios installed? Hate to have hold off on the build just to find a different cpu that will work only so that I can update the bios in order for the 6850 to work

Thanks for your time

Last edited:
I like ASRock boards, the Extreme4 is a solid board for the money and the OC Formula is a nice board with no silly cosmetic features. Asus ROG is probably still the best of the best, but the brand has been going in a questionable direction lately as they have chosen to focus more on flashy LED's and branding than performance. One thing to keep in mind is that Asrock boards are much more Xeon-friendly than the Rampages should you want to upgraade to an 18 or 22-core Xeon in the future when they show up on eBay.

I like my ASUS X99-PRO. It's running 3101 BIOS, which support the i7-6xxx chips. ASUS makes it real easy to update the BIOS too.

2hs5hdl.jpg

What's wrong with gigabyte boards?

Here's my 6850 nested in a Gigabyte Ultimate Gaming X99 board.

IMG_0590.JPG
IMG_0611.JPG

Well, I bought an Asus x99-a/USB3.1, It is great, and exactly what you are looking for, I bought mine for $85 on eBay, it came with old bios, but thanks to USB BIOS FLASH BACK, these Asus boards are the easiest to update the bios.
With FLASH BACK, you don't have to have anything on the board, but the power supply (no cpu, no ram, no GPU) I will post a video link in a min.

http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/usb_bios_flashback_guide

This is Asus official guide.
Don't be like me and try a bios for the wrong board for like 3 hours.... I was dumb. But the right BIOS, and it took all of 3 minutes, then assembly on a test bench, then I was golden with the 6850k...
The board I was talking about is a standard ATX size, yet it has all the features I needed, M.2, 8 dimm slots, 3 way and 2 way SLI support, plenty of sata ports, good room for large air coolers and a function layout for cable management.
Another thing I liked about the board are the fact that on eBay you can find it for around that price and if for some reason it arrives DOA, you can do a claim on eBay and get your money back....

LOL, so I picked up a new Asus Rampage ROG Extreme. So much for "no bells and whistles". Picked it up off of Amazon for $339 (price has gone up since) plus Asus has a $100 rebate going on right now thru the end of the month. Pretty happy with that. Now I just need some time to put the damn thing together.

LOL, so I picked up a new Asus Rampage ROG Extreme. So much for "no bells and whistles". Picked it up off of Amazon for $339 (price has gone up since) plus Asus has a $100 rebate going on right now thru the end of the month. Pretty happy with that. Now I just need some time to put the damn thing together.

wow, nice find :)

Very nice. I got the same sort of deal - I bought an open box Rampage V Extreme at MC for $200 and got the $100 rebate. $350 out the door for the CPU.

4.2 GHz right after rtfm to figure out wth I needed to do. Piece of cake and rock solid.

RGB RAM so it farts unicorns now, too.

Yay....

upload_2017-9-19_21-8-34.png

Very nice. I got the same sort of deal - I bought an open box Rampage V Extreme at MC for $200 and got the $100 rebate. $350 out the door for the CPU.

4.2 GHz right after rtfm to figure out wth I needed to do. Piece of cake and rock solid.

RGB RAM so it farts unicorns now, too.

Yay....

View attachment 37040

unicorns farting requires RGB fans... some of the finer details of "tech specs" :) :) :) :)

Back