Mobo flashing w/ ext. floppy

Is it possible to flash a motherboard BIOS and run Memtest with an external floppy drive? I'm thinking that a floppy drive will come in handy when i build a new rig soon (for loading SATA drivers etc.) but i don't want to have a big IDE ribbon cable inside my case.

I'm not sure what kind of connector that an external floppy uses, but I doubt it would work. Why not just use an internal floppy and then disconnect it when you're done?

Aye. Most of the time I connect the floppy with the case open, do what I need, reboot, disable the floppy in BIOS, remove the cable, and put it behind me.

I'm not sure what kind of connector that an external floppy uses, but I doubt it would work. Why not just use an internal floppy and then disconnect it when you're done?

Aye. Most of the time I connect the floppy with the case open, do what I need, reboot, disable the floppy in BIOS, remove the cable, and put it behind me.

Yeah, this probably seems like the best idea- as long as it isn't allocated an IRQ which is shared with something else.

Back