Mobo beeps as I insert 6800?

TimothyB

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm installing my 6800 non-gt and the second I get it in the slot my mobo starts a long constant beep. The PSU is off and power cable removed, so it must be the battery. Also, I haven't connect the power cable yet from the card to any of the PSU cables.

Anyone ever experience this. Do I just need to connect the card to PSU first then insert it?

My mobo is a A7N8X plain. PSU is a 420 watt Antic True.

I'm going to connect the card to a PSU power cable, even though it's turned off and see if it still beeps.

After trying to find some stuff out, the speaker on the card is for temperature warning, but it beeps when I place it in the slot and the card has never been turned on?

If all of the power is truly off then how in hell is the speaker on the 6800 getting power?

Do some more checking...Maybe take the mobo battery out? :confused:

unplug everything and press the power button a few times to discharge the power.

Ok, I ignored the beep and just went ahead and powered up the system. The second I turned on the power the speaker on the video card stopped. Everything is fine, new hardware detected etc.

I shut down the computer before installing any drivers and the as soon as the it shutdowns the speakers starts again.

The only strange thing that has recently happened to my system was when I had a 9200se PCI card I was using as my main card till I got a good card and when shutting down with that card the PC would start right back up, maybe it effected the bios some way and that's effecting the new agp card. I've returned the 9200se to the store already.

Primary VGA is set to AGP.

But could a bios setting really cause the card's speaker to beep when the system is off?

Here's a pic off of a HardOCP review of a Ultra, the speaker is on the right:
10817474486qLMOmeutS_1_6_l.jpg

QUOTE from HardOCP:"The round device next to the Primary Molex connector is a temperature warning speaker"

A pic of my card seated all the way:
http://premium.uploadit.org/TimothyB/6800_AGP.jpg

haroldmeyer said:
You were probably breathing too [H]ard on it.

the speaker is not just a temp warrning, it will sound if the aux power interface is not connected. I find it very strange that you would have power with the box unplugged

Well I've installed the drivers and running dual screen. Test games and only had a crash in Race Car Diver 2 demo when AA/AF on, with it off it worked fine. I was pleased with the Far Cry perfomance in the tough spots compared to a X800pro, almost the same is those 25fps areas.

But after all that it still beeps once shutdown.

I also noticee the screen is fuzzy at 1600*1200, 1280*960 looks fine, but at 1600*1200 grey text and other things are fuzzy. It's not real bad, but should be sharper.

I would say to not take the chance that you got a bad card that might crap out on you in the future and RMA it while you can.

Or if you don't care, you could just disable the speaker by scratching off the connector leads to it on the board :D

it's a $300 dollar card, not the GT.

Ok, some guys over at NVnews.net helped me solve it.

The whole mess was caused by my external powered USB hub. Some how it was sending power through the usb cord to the computer when shutdown that must have given enough power to the AGP slots to confuse the card and think something was wrong to cause the speaker to sound.

Then another problem happened, I pulled out that usb cord, the speakers goes off and I'm like, hey that did it, but that very instant the computer decides to power on by itself. So maybethe speaker didn't go off because it was about to turn on.

So after it starts up I go to shutdown to see what happens now that the USB cord is gone. But this time after it turns off it jumps back on again, even if I hit the power button during bios it would start up again.

So I turn the PSU off, pull the power card, push the power button to discharge anything, then reconnect and turned the PSU on, this time it stayed off, and after starting up and shutting down it also stayed off, oh, and no beeping.

The reason for the crazy start-up might have been caused by my PCI tv card that has the power button wires routed through it then the card to the mobo for a special power-up sheduling feature, which never worked. So the slight power from the USB hub might have still been there some how and screwed with that card too. Also probably why the scheduled power ups never worked.

Wow, all because of the speaker on the card this was found out. This is one for the books.

Now on to performance testing, so far I like the cards power for $300, but will I live with it being fuzzier at 1600*1200 on my e540 21in sony than the e500 21inch sony at work using a TNT2 that's sharper, argh. This slight fuzzy thing does makes it a bit harder to read the text on this forum since it's reveresed out text.

Wow that's an interesting problem. Glad you solved it though. Best of luck with the new card.

Back