MOBO Advice

Decimus

[H]ard|Gawd
So I almost have my build set up and ready to order I am just stuck on the mobo. I am going Intel i5 2400 on the CPU and I have 8 gb of corsair vengeance 1600 DDR3 Ram. I am looking to spend $100 or less on it. I was recommended the MSI H67A-G43 already for my build post but it doesnt have DDR3-1600 Standard or even O.C. which means that the RAM I already have would be bumped down to 1333. Would that be a significant speed loss?

So I almost have my build set up and ready to order I am just stuck on the mobo. I am going Intel i5 2400 on the CPU and I have 8 gb of corsair vengeance 1600 DDR3 Ram. I am looking to spend $100 or less on it. I was recommended the MSI H67A-G43 already for my build post but it doesnt have DDR3-1600 Standard or even O.C. which means that the RAM I already have would be bumped down to 1333. Would that be a significant speed loss?

Nope. The H67 chipset does not support memory speeds above DDR3-1333 anyway (because it does not support overclocking whatsoever other than the BCLK that is seriously limited in stability if raised much), so you will not see any settings above that no matter which CPU you use. (This limitation applies to all H61 and H67 chipset based mobos, not just the MSI you're considering.) You will need to purchase a P67 or Z68 mobo in order to see memory settings above DDR3-1333 in the BIOS.

And even if you could get DDR3-1600 working, there is practically zero real-world performance difference between DDR3-1333 and DDR3-1600. Only in certain benchmarks might you see some difference between the two speeds.

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong but from what I understand DDR3 RAM should be backwards compatible so even though I have the DDR3-1600 I should be able to use it in a mobo that only supports DDR3-1333 and just have it be limited to 1333? The reason I ask is this build is for my BIL and I already have the RAM from a previous deal I got so I am hoping to sell it to him for cheap. If this is possible to do and there is not any noticeable difference between the 1600 and the 1333 I will just go with the H67 mobo unless there are reasons not to.

Correct me if I am wrong but from what I understand DDR3 RAM should be backwards compatible so even though I have the DDR3-1600 I should be able to use it in a mobo that only supports DDR3-1333 and just have it be limited to 1333? The reason I ask is this build is for my BIL and I already have the RAM from a previous deal I got so I am hoping to sell it to him for cheap. If this is possible to do and there is not any noticeable difference between the 1600 and the 1333 I will just go with the H67 mobo unless there are reasons not to.

Yes, the H67 will just limit the operation of DDR3-1600 RAM to DDR3-1333 speed.

Back