Mobile wireless network with redundancy

nry

Limp Gawd
Hi

Recently did a bunch of events where we would setup a wireless network at a venue (single open plan room max 30m x 30m in size) which would consist of a local server ( full atx desktop computer) and high end home networking router :eek:
Connected to this would be up to 30 clients running an app which polls the server between every 2-5 seconds (don't ask it's ridiculous how bad it's built) each request never really goes over 10Kb

Now I was wondering the best way to do this properly with 100% uptime (excluding power outage for long periods eg over a few mins as the last priority then is that the app is still running) as obviously the previous solution is not very professional nor offers any sort of redundancy.

I have no issues server side is fairly straight forward with DB replication etc

My curiosity lies in the network setup, I was considering the following:
2x 4U flight cases for mobility (DJ ones seem to be around 400-600mm deep) consisting of

1U 450va UPS (seen a few around 400-500mm deep)
2U mATX server (think one of my matx cases is 450mm deep)
1U Network switch

Wireless wise I quite like the Ubiquity kit, so maybe 1x pro access point connected to each network switch. By doing this it essentially becomes possible for any of the equipment in either rack to fail and the network still remain operational.

Another thought would be the DNS/server setup side, Im not really too sure how the devices connected could roll over to either:
Another access point
Another dns server
Another app server

Tried to explain this as best as I can :rolleyes: as I am a software developer and only have limited knowledge with network setups
Anyone done anything similar or have any input on this?

No need for internet connection what so ever on this

Last edited:
Bump? Just found out that I have another event to do but with potentially double the amount of wireless clients!

Back