Mobile or Desktop CPU?

ranger0900

Limp Gawd
The more and more I start to look around at laptops, I wonder if I even need the mobile cpu.
I will be using the laptop to do the basic business things, taking photos off my camera, then doing some editing of them, and some web editing.

Should I just go for the desktop cpu?

I would like a nice battery life, but it doesnt have to be like 7 hours. Could I get 3 out of a desktop cpu just doing some photo editing?

Thanks

I get about 1.5 hours out of mine and it uses a Pentium 4.

My wife's laptop has a Pentium M in it and it gets about 6 hours.

With a desktop CPU you tend to get more power at a cheaper cost. Along with more heat.

With a mobile you get a less powerful chip with less heat and alot more battery life.

With what you intend to do with it I would say either chip would work will. So it's just up to you as to what sort of battery life you can live with.

My P4 system is always plugged in so battery life is not a concern for me.

I would go for mobile CPU definately. Pentium M, Centrino....

My mobile Pentium 4 1.8GHz runs about 3 hours on battery which I think is still pathetic :p

YEA I think I will just wait till the new M series laptops come out and buy one of the older ones. Thanks for the help.

Another question, anyone know where there are any benchmarks on the M series cpu's?
I want to see if it is worth goign for a 1.8 or 2 when i could save a little and go for a cheaper one.

Archer75 said:
With a mobile you get a less powerful chip with less heat and alot more battery life.

No, you get a more powerful chip. Read the 855GME motherboard review on the front page.

well that was interesting, but when it comes to cost/performance, doesnt a desktop cpu just ruin the M series.

On the goodies side, does it even matter what cpu you have, if I am right, that is just up to the laptopl maker.

if you buy a laptop for mobility, why cripple it with a desktop processor for no reason? the cost savings are marginal. if you were obsessed with gaming and benchmarks, sure go ahead and get a desktop cpu.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-111-161&depa=1
Dothan 2.0 for $435

-or-

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-116-191&depa=1
3.6 P4 for $449

Now, desktop motherboards for Dothans are expensive. Fortunately for you, laptops come with laptop motherboards. It's supply and demand. How many desktop mobos are demanded for mobile processors? Not many. How many mobile mobos for mobile processors? Plenty. How many deskop processors are demanded for mobile motherboards? Don't answer that.

Back