Mobile 2600+ Results

Hi,

I recently recieved a 2600-M from Newegg, popped it in my system and here are the results:

- AMD Athlon XP-M 2600+
- AXMG2600FQQ4C
- IQYHA 0401UPMW

Cooling: Air, Swiftech MCX462-V w/ 92mm Tornado, fan-controlled @ half speed for general windows usage, full speed for Prime95/Games/Benchies.

Stock: 2.0GHz at 1.45v

Result: 2.7GHz at 1.85v; prime95 stable

Here's a few screenies to chew on...

1.85v_2.70 GHz_XP-M 2600+_Prime stable1.gif

WCPUID_dashboard.JPG

Sandra_2.7.GIF

As you can see it idles in windows with Tornado at half speed at 35°C. At full load (Prime95 specifically) it cruises up to 43°C with the Tornado turned up to full speed. Im very pleased with this result. After all, im on air cooling.. :)

I could get more, but at 1.95v and on my PSU cannot handle the voltage's at full load, and the rails drop to low. This obviously causes the system to reboot. I can do 1.90v stabally, but it won't yeild much, mabye 2.75 prime stable. So im stuck at 1.85v and 2.7 until I transfer my nice Fortron 530-watt (has really good rails and they are adjustable) over to this PC. But im sure I can get 2.8 prime stable ;)

All in all, i'd say this is a good chip. To say the least..

I'll be doing FSB clocking next. :cool:

I got my computer up and overclocked about a year ago, since then i havnt paid all that much attention to current CPU's...your tempting me to upgrade.

Thats nuts.

Hey, Nice overclock Dojo. Welcome to the land of the unknown CPU.

I just got 3 identical 2600+ mobile setups to put together. I got two together and tested one today.

I'll make a full post later of all the details, just so that anyone is wondering if they should buy the 2600+ can read my thread for some extra input.

It seems a mobile chip's range is in the 2.5 - 2.7 Ghz range on air cooling.

My 3 indentical setups will be as follows:

2600+ Mobile from Newegg. AXMG, just like DOJO's
Alpha PAL-8045 HSF
Abit NF7 Mobo
1GB Twinx PC-3700 (3-4-4-8 rated)
Antec True 330 watt (Came with case)
WD Special Ed. IDE Hard disk.

I'm not using the cutting edge Thermalright HSF, mainly due to the fact that I figured it would clog up with dust faster than other heatsinks with it's close fins. Two of these computers will be used in a very dusty environment, compared to the average home use.

I've only had time to test one system out. But this system is stabily running Prime95 behind me at these settings:

CPU = 2600mhz (200x13) @ 1.85 volts
RAM = 400mhz (2.5-3-3-7) @ 1.8 volts
LOAD TEMPERATURE = 57*C / 135*F
IDLE TEMPS are are around 38C the last I checked

Things to note are this. I've tried a number of things to push the system harder. Windows was happy at 2700mhz @ 1.9 volts, but Prime95 puked at that. So after some goofing around, I settled at 2600mhz @1.85V.

But I cannot complain one bit. This is the best overclocking system I've ever had. I took the Nforce 2 and cranked to 200 FSB from the get go, and have had no problems at all. I did push the board to 215 (430) fsb for a little bit, but it really wasn't going to work that well.

So I'm gonna finish testing the other two out, and I'll have a compiled bit of data here in a few days/weeks for other consumers to evaluate.

For gaming how does a system with a mobile 2600 overclocked compare to a Intel 3.0C overclocked?

Myself, I only have run 2 benches so far on my machine.

In sandra, both CPU test put my 2600mhz CPU neck and neck with A P4 3.2, and well above the 3.0

The other one I have run now is the Auqamark. With the 9600XT at stock settings on the new 4.3 Cat's, I scored 31,000. The CPU score itself is 8,428. Averaged 31.3 FPS. I don't know how this compares with the P4 3.0C, but maybe you could search for a 3.0C review with aquamark scores.

I'm not big on synthetic benches like these, but I have no other way of comparing it to the 3.0C

Someone else could probably give a better answer than I have. Hopefully I was some help.

It all depends on what the 3.0C is OCed to.

At stock, a 2.5-2.7 2600+ craps on the 3.0C. If your talking having the 3.0C at like 3.5-3.6 then it would be pretty close I'd imagine. But then again, I haven't really seen any side to side benchies with a 2.6 Athlon and a 3.6 P4...

I would imagine a 2.6GHz Barton shitting on a 3.6-3.7GHz P4.

For gaming alone, I'd bet a 4.0GHz+ P4 couldn't touch it.

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking at building 2 new systems, one for my dad and the other system for gaming at work. The price looks real good for the performance you get compared to Intel. These mobile chips look awesome but the A64 chips are real tempting.

If you have a high enough FSB, a 2.6-2.8GHz Barton will definitely go head-to-head with a 3.6-3.8GHz Northwood-C. With ~230MHz+ FSB and 2-2-2- timings, the Barton will definitely own the P4 I imagine.

well even tho i can't run windows linux is happy so far with my mobile, just don't have prime95 installed yet to make speeds offical

Got my 2600+ its at 13x200 1.65v but again not offical :p. This is on air sk7/some fan, sooner or later I'm going to watercool my system, for sound reasons but most likely will get more overclock too. 2.7 wouldn't post @ 1.7v so dunno how likely I am to get it stable even with water, but that'd be nice.

Actually really impressed with these mobile cpus, for $100 its silly fast.

How high a voltage is "safe" ? with air and with water.

Any voltage under 2.2v is safe for both, as long as your temperatures are good, then you and you're chip are good. :)

Athlon XP's do not die like P4's if you feed them over a certain amount of voltage. I have yet to see an Athlon XP die because of too much voltage with proper cooling.

Originally posted by Dojo | Warlord
Any voltage under 2.2v is safe for both, as long as your temperatures are good, then you and you're chip are good. :)

Athlon XP's do not die like P4's if you feed them over a certain amount of voltage. I have yet to see an Athlon XP die because of too much voltage with proper cooling.
Plenty of XP thoroughbreds B's died 'after' 1.85v but those seemed limited to 1700+ and some 2100+. They called it sudden cpu death syndrome or some crap like that.

I'd consider <2.0v vcore safe while >2.0v is reputed to shorten lifespan considerably. What cooling you use is a factor as well.

I've got a 2100+ Tbred thats been running at 2.025v @ 2450 for over a year now. Though its watercooled. Its either buy one of these Mobiles or wait for 939.

Upgrade to a mobile for now and wait. Mature PGA939 boards with good chipsets won't be out till at least this Fall.

i snagged a 2500+ and the thermalright 900u. I also snagged half a gig of pc3700.

What fan should i put on the heatsink? I'd prefer something that doesn't sound like a jet and still moves some cfm.

Originally posted by lengis
i snagged a 2500+ and the thermalright 900u. I also snagged half a gig of pc3700.

What fan should i put on the heatsink? I'd prefer something that doesn't sound like a jet and still moves some cfm.
id say a smart fan 2 since you have a huge range of noise/cfms to choose from. oh yeah id suggest a fan controller to make it easier to adjust.

Originally posted by jwill
i wonder why newegg change this listing of this chip from 2.13GHz to 2GHz even? i just noticed it but it doesnt change anything so it doesnt matter. :rolleyes:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...frcode=0&propertycode=&propertycodevalue=4181

Because in this same topic at Xtremesystems, we spent about a page discussing the actual stock speed of the 2600-M and I said it was 2GHz and proved it, so a few people mailed Newegg to get it corrected and they did.

45W 2600-M stock speed = 15x133 - 2.0GHz

Not 2.13, thats the 72W DTR 2600-M. Newegg mixed em up.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31257&perpage=30&pagenumber=1

Near the bottom of Page 1 is where it started and from there on.

Originally posted by Dojo | Warlord
Because in this same topic at Xtremesystems, we spent about a page discussing the actual stock speed of the 2600-M and I said it was 2GHz and proved it, so a few people mailed Newegg to get it corrected and they did.

45W 2600-M stock speed = 15x133 - 2.0GHz

Not 2.13, thats the 72W DTR 2600-M. Newegg mixed em up.
nice. thank you for clearing that up. :)

Hmmm...interesting. Didn't think about the PSU...

I'm using some cheapo Antec 400w (not the TruePower series). I can get it up to 2.7ghz at 2.05v, but it just won't STAY there. Prime95 doesn't die, SuperPI runs fine, Windows is happy as a clam for a half hour or more. Then, just *poof* reboots.

I always thought it was that the core wasn't getting enough juice, but that made little sense to me (IE., never seen that behavior BEFORE). Now that I think about it....hmmm....

Maybe I'll try replacing my PSU and see what gives.

What say you all? What is the BEST PSU for solid rails?

Well, SHIT, I guess they know they are the best too, huh?

Okay, let's try again.

The BEST PSU with most-solid-rails that costs LESS than oh, say, my video card and CPU combined?

(EDIT: if you look this guy up on their site, it's $40 cheaper. That's still a damn expensive PSU, but....ooooh....the SPECS.....*drools*. Checking out the 425w - that might be more to my needs and budget.)

Hmmm....well, taking a look at those and ye olde datasheet right here, I think I'm going to go with the Antec TruePower 550.

Higher amperage on all the rails than the Sparkle/Fortron PSUs, tighter load regulation, and more connectors. Not much more expensive, either.

I have the Fortron 530-watt and the Antec True 550-watt and ill tell ya, the Fortron has better rails. The voltage readings are rock solid. Dosen't "jump" around like on the Antec.

Back