• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

MMO's and the future.

I really loved reading a lot of these posts. I have played MMO's since beta of UO.. and I agree UO pre-trammel will never be beat.

Well guess what guys? You can still play it. This player-run shard is very very well done and professional, and all it needs is more of a playerbase. Check it out and start PVPing the way you used to... but remember it is UO, it is challenging, and there is loss/reward. :)

http://www.uodivinity.com

(No I'm not an admin or anything for them, but I love UO like you guys do and this is the best shard available, all it needs is more people)
 
I haven't had time to read this entire thread, but in response to the OP I would just point out one thing. Most of us who were EQ powergamers back in the day are out of college now. Most working, many with families. The 80 hour a week thing doesn't work anymore, so the choice becomes 'do I want to play MMO Lite (WoW, GW) or give up on the genre completely?'. It's a hard thing for people that loved EQ so dearly.

Oh, and Velious > all. Thank you. :p
 
i agree velious was great, i had more fun pre velious then i did in actual velious, just velious opend up alot more to the players and encounters as well

but as sad as it may seem it was also the beginning to the end, it opend up alot of ideas to create more conent on the same basis, more hp, more armor, more melee, more ae's, more dmg, the lack of designing on encounters started there

don't get me wrong the content surely does flow from EQ still, and in mass as it ever has, just the developers designing these encounters ended up getting lazy and making a few niche encounters, one that i can imagine being the shei in luclin, but it pretty much stops there

i just wish they never released the HP cap, it would of stopped the need to make melee weapons insane, jar spells up so high that ever expantion must have increased healing/dmg spells, and force some innovation *sigh* oh well, i'm glad they are coming out with a progress servers
 
I think some of you are mis understanding, it's not about forcing people to waste time or to spend hours on "raids" or to simply take 100's to get to the end lv's.

It's about having no challenges/risks involved in things.

Just my personal opinon, but I greatly dis-like item dependency in mmo's, I'm much more a fan of having your characters stats being > any weapon, a weapon should be a tool through which your character uses his skills, not the weapon itself saying "i'm the sword of uberness, I do super high dmg compared to another sword that looks just like me."
 
Stiler said:
I think some of you are mis understanding, it's not about forcing people to waste time or to spend hours on "raids" or to simply take 100's to get to the end lv's.

It's about having no challenges/risks involved in things.

Just my personal opinon, but I greatly dis-like item dependency in mmo's, I'm much more a fan of having your characters stats being > any weapon, a weapon should be a tool through which your character uses his skills, not the weapon itself saying "i'm the sword of uberness, I do super high dmg compared to another sword that looks just like me."

I understand where you're coming from, but basically the state of the genre is indeed "challenges/risks" = "forcing people to waste time or to spend hours on "raids" or to simply take 100's to get to the end lv's". And to anyone without 80 hours a week, there's just really no point unless you can play it without taking it seriously. It's this sort of conundrum that's making me re-re-re-evaluate my WoW habit. :(

Anyone who can make these games challenging without it equating to nothing more than a massive time sink where 'he who has the most spare time wins', well, you stand to make a lot of money. Unfortuantely, once you start taking steps towards doing things that arn't just basically another 'deposit 0.25 for the next 10 minutes plz', you transcend into being a FPS. I'm interested to see the mechanics of Hellgate: London, and evaluate how it could be applied to a MMO.
 
oakfox said:
I ...people)
if you're the one who has continuously pushed the alt shard UO, you've finally pushed me to try it. Downloading the UO client now, will patch and then try to start a new char on divinity.
and divinity wont let me create the account. Wont let me connect actually. Router is forwarding the 2593 port to my internal IP, razor has divinity selected, has patch client encryption selected, and I selected the 2D client. garrr...
 
GLSauron said:
if you're the one who has continuously pushed the alt shard UO, you've finally pushed me to try it. Downloading the UO client now, will patch and then try to start a new char on divinity.
and divinity wont let me create the account. Wont let me connect actually. Router is forwarding the 2593 port to my internal IP, razor has divinity selected, has patch client encryption selected, and I selected the 2D client. garrr...
Hahaha, same here, first time I played a player-run shard. Anyways, I had no troubles connecting, didn't have to mess with my router or anything.
 
tys90 said:
Hahaha, same here, first time I played a player-run shard. Anyways, I had no troubles connecting, didn't have to mess with my router or anything.
maybe it just didn't like me. Im up and running now.

I forgot how hard it was to start from scratch. Because starting a new charactor when you can afford to supply, train, house, and protect him is now problem. Starting from scratch...everything costs money, and you have none. :(

Example: training magery. Now, normally you just would load up some armor, a nice bag of regs, and go pound a graveyard skeleton crew, (I like moonglow). But without able to supply those things... /me is in pain.
 
Back
Top