MMORPG?

KodiakStar

/'s by 0
Are there any good games out there to play besides
WOW, EVE, SWG?

I used to play Ultima Online quite a bit.. but it's been years since I've been in a mmo

No. It is pretty dry out there for the time being. I play WoW atm. Honestly it is more like an interactive myspace then a MMORPG. If you need a fix and dont have a group of friend already playing a game check out some F2P games. EVE is good I tried the free trial but got pulled into WoW because of friends. Damn somthing worth a shit needs to be released.

Warhammer online is great i love it. I have some trial keys if you want to check it out. Just pm your email and first name.

A second for Warhammer Online, gotta love the massive PvP (RvR) that goes on.

Warhammer Online has many PVE elements including some new ones like Public Quests - "Scenes" of multiple phases in the game world that have objectives, that any can complete if they're in the area, with a chance for loot. They typically go something like this.

Phase 1: Kill XX Chaotic Doodads. These are regular enemies, and there is no time limit. You can likely even solo this phase and gain Influence for the chapter (Ever "chapter" has 3 levels of influence rewards given by doing their PQs. Think of Influence as Faction or Reputation in other MMOs)
Phase 2: Greater Chaotic Emissaries have shown up to find those who dispatched their Doodads! Kill them before the timer runs out, or before they burn down the forest! These are "Champion" level enemies that you will have to face with a group. There is also a time limit you have to complete the objectives before.
Phase 3: Master Wizard Chaostikal has arrived! Slay him and his guards! This is a "Hero" level monster you'll definitely need a group or warband (raid) for. There is a time limit here as well.

If you manage to kill the big boss, everyone who participated, in your group or not, automatically "rolls" for loot - those who participated more get Medals that add value to their roll. You'll see how many loot bags are available and of what colors - highest rolls get the highest loot bags. In these bags is a choice of a piece of gear, high level crafting stuff, or money - in the event you already have better gear you don't have to worry. Did I mention that the gear is specific to YOUR class? No more "Awww, only paladin gear dropped tonight and there's no paladin". Ever time you loot from a bag, you'll get some thing made for your class!

There are also dungeons, monster lairs, and high level raids - including one against the King of the enemy city!

Please PM me your email address if you want to give WAR a try!

WAR gives 3 months of solid gameplay before you want to rip your eyes out due to boredom..oh btw, its a game thats losing subscribers en mass.. you have been warned.

Are there any good games out there to play besides
WOW, EVE, SWG?

I used to play Ultima Online quite a bit.. but it's been years since I've been in a mmo

any good besides wow, eve, swg?

SWG that's a laugh right there. lol swg = good. ;)

wow is the most popular I am glad I stopped playing it, you might want to check out coh if u think swg is good.

WAR gives 3 months of solid gameplay before you want to rip your eyes out due to boredom..oh btw, its a game thats losing subscribers en mass.. you have been warned.

Oh I don't know about that. They recently announced that more players than ever have been returning, and new subscriptions are up. Since launch they patched in 4 new classes, new scenarios, vastly overhauled open RVR etc... I think there is a lot to enjoy these days. They're still working. Check out the brand new official forums!

i enjoyed lotr online, but i am going to check out warhammer in a few months when i get a new build ;)

any good besides wow, eve, swg?

SWG that's a laugh right there. lol swg = good. ;)

wow is the most popular I am glad I stopped playing it, you might want to check out coh if u think swg is good.

Never said they were good. I actually think they are crap, except EVE, but don't have that much time to devote to it.

Rather, saying that are there any suggestions beyond those three, that are good games.
I did some BETA for SWG and played after it was released. Should have saved my money.

Jumpgate Evolution comes out this June, www.jumpgateevolution.com

Played the first one, signed up for the beta to get a taste to see if its any better.
It wasn't all that bad, but got boring so we went pirate and hovered outside the stations picking people off.

Mostly attacking the massive miners as they tried to port, making them panic, then rush for safety then they ended up splashing.... "Ooops"

Considering the large amount of new players I've been encountering ingame, I would have to disagree. With the massive server merge they're doing, server populations will be much higher so battles will be much more massive. I've almost been playing since release and I can't count how many toons I've started over, the RvR and ORvR aspect of the game always keeps it new and interesting. Only complaint I can make is classes don't feel that unique, then again that opinion may change when I hit forty.

EQ2 is very good, and has lots of depth. But it's much pretty the same old level to get more loot, get more loot to level, rinse repeat, MMO model.

When you stop and think about it, all MMOs have this property. Once you've seen it all... you've seen it all.

When you stop and think about it, all MMOs have this property. Once you've seen it all... you've seen it all.

I've played many MMO's and I liked WAR to about level 25 then I wanted to scream. I had a friend start with me and he played to 40 and renown like 55?

Now, we're both playing WoW again. I can't complain about it. It's a good game. In moderation.

Considering the large amount of new players I've been encountering ingame, I would have to disagree. With the massive server merge they're doing, server populations will be much higher so battles will be much more massive. I've almost been playing since release and I can't count how many toons I've started over, the RvR and ORvR aspect of the game always keeps it new and interesting. Only complaint I can make is classes don't feel that unique, then again that opinion may change when I hit forty.

Look, I've been a WAR subscriber since CE Head Start.

WAR is a solid game, good PvP, but there's not enough to do during down times. It's more of a PvP Online Battle Game than a MMORPG. There's not enough RPG in it. The crafting is uninteresting. The dungeons are average @ best.

The game runs too hot and cold. Some days, its like the best MMO I've ever played, other days, it's the most boring one. Mythic did alot right, and they also didn't do enough.

It's a disjointed game that doesn't really know what it is. It tries to be too many things and it doesn't do all that well @ any of them.

Somewhere, this game failed in the planning stages, or after EA got involved. It's got alot of great elements, none of which have much synergy with the others. It's a shame too, as with a Warhammer IP and a more complete design, they could have easily done alot better. It's not like they can't eventually make the game really good, it's just that honestly, I'm tired of waiting around for them to do so.

Somewhere, this game failed in the planning stages, or after EA got involved.

The problem with Warhammer is they bit off more than they could chew. They tried to make the game everything to everyone. They were trying to make the next WoW, but without the manpower and resources (money) that Blizzard has. Late in development they eventually had to get it out the door, so a lot of content and features were pushed back, simply because they didn't have the time to finish them. Given more time and money WAR could have offered a lot more, but it also would have been released 18 months to 2 years later than it was.

honestly... war was fun till I had to leave the first human/chosen pvp match... can't remember the exact name.... that was mad fun ... then well... the boring part started, pve is "meh" at best and trying to take keep and such if not in a guild is a huge headache.

I like WAR. I played in Beta and really liked it, but after getting burned by AoC, I didn't start playing WAR right away. I continued to play WoW instead. I now am playing WAR, though not as frequently as I want too, and not playing WoW anymore. (Though I may go back as many RL friends still play). I must say I am enjoying WAR a lot and with how much I get to play, I am not getting burned out on it. I am enjoying just queuing up for RvR and doing the odd PVE quest in between.

I also agree with this:
WAR is a solid game, good PvP, but there's not enough to do during down times. It's more of a PvP Online Battle Game than a MMORPG. There's not enough RPG in it. The crafting is uninteresting. The dungeons are average @ best.

The game runs too hot and cold. Some days, its like the best MMO I've ever played, other days, it's the most boring one. Mythic did alot right, and they also didn't do enough.

Last night I was in hour long siege fight, that was good times. Other nights, I have played and not seen any ORvR.

That would be Realm vs Realm. I believe the term originated from Dark Age of Camelot. (Mythic's game before WAR)

lotro has one raid boss, I wouldn't call that awesome PVE

If raids the only thing you care about... There are many 3-6 man instances that are fun, plenty things to do. Sure there is 1 raid now, but they just added another and few instances. Book 8 supposed to bring alot of instances/raids. I personally hate big groups, 12 mans are perfect to me!

if you enjoy full loot and pvp it's all about darkfall.. if you can get a copy.

lol... I was waiting for someone to bring that game up.
Sure if you want to pay to beta test a game.

If you enjoy full loot and pvp it's all about UO. Find a private server and have fun.

If raids the only thing you care about... There are many 3-6 man instances that are fun, plenty things to do. Sure there is 1 raid now, but they just added another and few instances. Book 8 supposed to bring alot of instances/raids. I personally hate big groups, 12 mans are perfect to me!

Agreed, big raids are "fun" in their own way but then you need a dedicated guild... I've raided alot in WoW back when dungeons were 40mans and if one person fucks up it's over.

I prefer the small , fun, mini - instance where you still have the challenge without the boredom of waiting 5 minutes between each pull.

I don't think I've had more fun than the first time me and 4 guildies tried to do sm cathedral when it bugged if you didn't succeed at first and you couldn't pull one mob without the whole room aggroing.

lol... I was waiting for someone to bring that game up.
Sure if you want to pay to beta test a game.

If you enjoy full loot and pvp it's all about UO. Find a private server and have fun.

UO if you dont mind an ancient game engine, darkfall may not be perfect but its pretty damn close for just launching a few weeks ago... it's no AOC that's for sure.

I'm having a blast.

UO if you dont mind an ancient game engine, darkfall may not be perfect but its pretty damn close for just launching a few weeks ago... it's no AOC that's for sure.

I'm having a blast.

AoC is enjoyable.

- Awesome gfx
- Combat system is cool, you're "involved" (maybe not as much as mad-clicking-DF but still involved)

Basicly it's a great game, not the same as DF but still great, just had a rocky launch... like DF.

Agreed, big raids are "fun" in their own way but then you need a dedicated guild... I've raided alot in WoW back when dungeons were 40mans and if one person fucks up it's over.

I prefer the small , fun, mini - instance where you still have the challenge without the boredom of waiting 5 minutes between each pull.

I don't think I've had more fun than the first time me and 4 guildies tried to do sm cathedral when it bugged if you didn't succeed at first and you couldn't pull one mob without the whole room aggroing.

Instances in LOTRO are gorgeous and yield good rewards. In WOW I could never get into raiding as I simply did not want to sit there for 4 hrs waiting on everybody to be ready, 40 man is too big for me; not hardcore enough. I love the Watcher in LOTRO, all you need is 12 people! Radiance instances are a total blast and always give nice stuff as reward!

AoC is enjoyable.

- Awesome gfx
- Combat system is cool, you're "involved" (maybe not as much as mad-clicking-DF but still involved)

Basicly it's a great game, not the same as DF but still great, just had a rocky launch... like DF.

AoC had a smooth launch, not rocky at all, one of the smoothest ever. The first 20 levels were awesome, then the suck set in. AoC lacked content in a major way past level 30. That was it's downfall, not it's launch.

They're already server merging? And you say the population is growing?

EVE, AoC, WAR all bore me. Overhyped crap.

AoC had a smooth launch, not rocky at all, one of the smoothest ever. The first 20 levels were awesome, then the suck set in. AoC lacked content in a major way past level 30. That was it's downfall, not it's launch.

The servers were very stable, I agree. I played AoC for the first 2 months or so. The problem was the huge system requirements and the game crashes. SO MANY CRASHES. :( I couldn't get a decent FPS (no more than 5) on my laptop or go more than an hour or two before blue screening on my desktop. Couple that with the nonexistent content and lackluster PVP (the only PVP was ganking or group fights between bored 80's, no ranking system) and I dropped it quickly.

I'm in a bind. I don't have a ton of free time to play an MMO but I refuse to play a casual MMO. If I level easily I don't feel any type of accomplishment. I loved original EQ even though it took me years to max out. There were not many high level char's so it felt special.

Back