MMORPG Decision

That game looks like crap and im sure the world exploratioin sucks compared to eq, camelot.

harmonic said:
Between WOW and Saga of Ryzom, which would you choose?

EQ2. :D Seriously though, I'm sure WoW will be excellent since Blizzard has never failed, but at the sametime, EQ is the greatest MMORPG to date, so I find it hard to believe it won't be at least as good as the original with better graphics.

Everquest, a MMORPG, was the first video / PC game EVER to setup a 24 hour addiction help line...

here is a quote ... ... " Lvling is not a race... looking at it as such wastes your time missing most of what the game has to offer "...

It isn't a race, but if you want to be called a n00b for months on end because your character is still lvl 15 and the items you wear most people would destroy, and the fact that the playerbase in most of these games are all higher level, will surely leave you to explore alone.. Its so true that these games basically FORCE you to gain levels and skills faster and faster just so you can satisfy your needs, and really experience what the game designers intended you to experience...

The "Millions of people" aren't the ones that play 1 - 2 hours a day... those would be the extreme minority in MMORPGs.. I would say 10% of the entire MMORPG community spend only 1 - 2 hours a day playing...

Sure some people play very casually and enjoy it...but when you call "UTTER BS" to the guy who knows more than you obviously, and speaks of the majority of players in these games, then you are the one who doesn't know what they are talking about...

Oh and Ive been an EQ player for 3 years, and have beta tested over 6 other MMORPGs in the past 5 years. I have focused a lot of time in university researching the effects of MMORPGs on people. The issues, social problems, and habits of the majority of people that play these types of games. You cannot call me biased since I too have experienced these games, and enjoyed many of them. Yes, MMORPGs have more people playing them than any other genre of multiplayer game.. Everquest has almost triple the playerbase as counterstrike...

In my honest opinion, you cannot play these games "the way they are designed to be played" without putting in many tireless, meaningless, frustrating, stressfilled hours of time into them.

ojax
-----

For me its either EQ2 or WoW. But the truth is both of these games seem to be too casual for me. I started playing EQ right before Kunark came out and that was really fun times. I left the game after everything became too easy and newbie friendly. Im looking foward to Vangaurd, that game is gunna rock. Its being made by alot of the original EQ devs or something like that and its suppose to make the MMO genre hard again (atleast I hope so)..

i'm really really hoping that guild wars turns out to be good. if it gets finished and doesnt suck the big one, i'll be playing it. it's made by the same guys who made d2, and i love d2, i just hate the other people who play d2 :p so i'll be picking up guild wars ( www.guildwars.com ) if it gets decent reviews/previews.

ojax said:
Everquest, a MMORPG, was the first video / PC game EVER to setup a 24 hour addiction help line...

What's this hotline number then if it exists?

It isn't a race, but if you want to be called a n00b for months on end because your character is still lvl 15 and the items you wear most people would destroy, and the fact that the playerbase in most of these games are all higher level, will surely leave you to explore alone.. Its so true that these games basically FORCE you to gain levels and skills faster and faster just so you can satisfy your needs, and really experience what the game designers intended you to experience...

The "Millions of people" aren't the ones that play 1 - 2 hours a day... those would be the extreme minority in MMORPGs.. I would say 10% of the entire MMORPG community spend only 1 - 2 hours a day playing...

BS. Where are you getting these numbers? I've been playing MMORPG since EQ, and have played as far as i know every single MMORPG that's ever released on the NA market aside from CoH, and i can tell you the casual player base makes up a HUGE proportion of the population. Just because you're a hardcore/powergamer/addict doesn't mean everybody else is. 10%? LOL right.

Oh and Ive been an EQ player for 3 years, and have beta tested over 6 other MMORPGs in the past 5 years. I have focused a lot of time in university researching the effects of MMORPGs on people. The issues, social problems, and habits of the majority of people that play these types of games. You cannot call me biased since I too have experienced these games, and enjoyed many of them. Yes, MMORPGs have more people playing them than any other genre of multiplayer game.. Everquest has almost triple the playerbase as counterstrike...

So what are these university research studies you're working on? And at what university?

In my honest opinion, you cannot play these games "the way they are designed to be played" without putting in many tireless, meaningless, frustrating, stressfilled hours of time into them.

You guys are just spewing opinions as facts. Because you play these games as powergamers, all you associate with ingames are powergamers... but the powergamers always make up a very small percentage of the demographic... if they didn't, then all games would be like EQ... all highend game. EQ is the way it is not because it has more powergamers than any other game, but because it's been around for nearly 5 years.

You get 'addicts' in ANYTHING. You're telling me there aren't people whose grades have fallen because of their 'addiction' to CS and Starcraft? I can GUARANTEE you if you go to any college dorm, you'll find people 'addicted' to them. You'll find these same type of 'addicts' in internet forum regulars, in chatrooms, EVERYWHERE in all walks of life. Don't blame the game for your weakness. Blame it on your own lack of self-restraint.

Yes, i've seen people lives and marriages ruined due to MMORPGs, but i've seen the same thing in chatrooms and even internet forums too. You may be more aware of it happening in MMORPGs, because you get to know the people in those game more personally, get to see them more often... so when it happens, the experience and memory of it becomes more salient. How many golfers does the average golf player know well? 10? 20 people? Out of that, you might get 1 or 2 you consider 'addicted' and ruining their marriage from their obsession. Now how many people does the average MMORPG know? See my point?

Now here is some real research that has been done on MMORPGs: http://www.projectmassive.com/results/results.html
And here is a graph of the average hours spent per week:
PROJECT%20MASSIVE%20-%20WEB%20RESULTS19.JPG

The 7-27 hours, which is the casual player, makes up the VAST VAST majority of the demographic. Now please show me the research studies that you claimed to have 'focused' on.

moralpanic said:
What's this hotline number then if it exists?

dont know but I have heard of it.

BS. Where are you getting these numbers? I've been playing MMORPG since EQ, and have played as far as i know every single MMORPG that's ever released on the NA market aside from CoH, and i can tell you the casual player base makes up a HUGE proportion of the population. Just because you're a hardcore/powergamer/addict doesn't mean everybody else is. 10%? LOL right.

I am? HE is? No, sorry. Everyone Ive ever met whose played EQ has played it at least 5 hours a day. At the very least theyve played it every chance they got.

You guys are just spewing opinions as facts. Because you play these games as powergamers, all you associate with ingames are powergamers... but the powergamers always make up a very small percentage of the demographic... if they didn't, then all games would be like EQ... all highend game. EQ is the way it is not because it has more powergamers than any other game, but because it's been around for nearly 5 years.

"highend game"? EQ sucks :rolleyes: that is opinion but if youre going to make it seem like its a godly game, I get to tell you, no its really not

You get 'addicts' in ANYTHING. You're telling me there aren't people whose grades have fallen because of their 'addiction' to CS and Starcraft? I can GUARANTEE you if you go to any college dorm, you'll find people 'addicted' to them. You'll find these same type of 'addicts' in internet forum regulars, in chatrooms, EVERYWHERE in all walks of life. Don't blame the game for your weakness. Blame it on your own lack of self-restraint.

Yes, i've seen people lives and marriages ruined due to MMORPGs, but i've seen the same thing in chatrooms and even internet forums too. You may be more aware of it happening in MMORPGs, because you get to know the people in those game more personally, get to see them more often... so when it happens, the experience and memory of it becomes more salient. How many golfers does the average golf player know well? 10? 20 people? Out of that, you might get 1 or 2 you consider 'addicted' and ruining their marriage from their obsession. Now how many people does the average MMORPG know? See my point?

whats with this accusing OTHER PEOPLE of being addicted? Are you in denial? Do you always yell at other people and say theyre what they dont like? Yes lots of people are addicted to lots of games, the point is MORE people are addicted to EQ than any other game.

Now here is some real research that has been done on MMORPGs: http://www.projectmassive.com/results/results.html
And here is a graph of the average hours spent per week:
PROJECT%20MASSIVE%20-%20WEB%20RESULTS19.JPG

The 7-27 hours, which is the casual player, makes up the VAST VAST majority of the demographic. Now please show me the research studies that you claimed to have 'focused' on.

thats nice. Luckly my dad works in market research and I work in a divison of a company, my division is called "statistical analysis". get where I'm going with this? charts can say anything, can be manipulated anyway you want, so excuse me that I dont bow down to an excel graph. please note that their goals are NOT to find out how many hours are played

The goals of this first phase of Project Massive include the following:

(1) To find out what tools players use most to communicate with each other
(2) To find out what factors make guilds and other player organizations successful

kronchev said:
No, sorry. Everyone Ive ever met whose played EQ has played it at least 5 hours a day. At the very least theyve played it every chance they got.
I play EQ. I play less than 5 hrs a week. Now you know someone who doesn't "waste their life on it." I play online FPS games too. Probably no more than 10-15 hrs a week.

kronchev said:
thats nice. Luckly my dad works in market research and I work in a divison of a company, my division is called "statistical analysis". get where I'm going with this? charts can say anything, can be manipulated anyway you want,
Glad to see someone in the field admitting that stats are BS. I've been saying that for years, lol...

Hartlove said:
according to my extensive research, I come up with something closer to 87% :D
Ever take a statistics course? pretty interesting stuff. And so far I've actually used a lot of it from my two courses.

edit: sorry OT... PM from now on. oops

WOW from all that i have read and herd is gonna be a shit storm. Worse than doom3, all the hype and nothing to back it up with. The p2p sucks.....the lvling is easy......the skills are limited.....the items are limited.......WOW is gonna be shit is a box. Just like doom 3....... TO MUCH HYPE AND NOT ENOUGH GOOD GAME CONTENT.........screw the graphics people......the games coming out have good graphics but the shittiest game play ever, story, items, interaction, AI, and you name it. Anything else but graphics sucks in doom3 and many new games, and WOW will be in that catagory

There are 3 types of lies. Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Good ol' Benjy Franklin.

Can we get back to the subject at hand please...

harmonic said:
I watched a couple EQ2 movies, and now I'm interested again.. The graphics are nuts!

I'm now thinking that although I love saga of ryzoms idea and concept, it won't have the variety and depth that I want.

My question now is, out of those three, which do you think will have the most depth, like number of monsters, number of items, size of land, etc..

Oh, btw, i've never played an MMORPG before other than the saga of ryzom beta.

Most regretable, as I play CoH as well, and I would be livid if something like this happened to me. Not so much that I would stop playing once the problem was resolved, mind you (I love the game WAY too much for that), but I would bug them until they gave me a free month or something similar to compensate.

Back