MMORPG Decision

harmonic

Limp Gawd
Between WOW and Saga of Ryzom, which would you choose?
SOOOO HARD... I've beta tested Saga of Ryzom, and it's TONS of fun, i love the graphics and i love the concept.. so original.

But on the other hand I am a huge blizzard fan, and WOW is looking really good as well.

If you had to choose between the two, which one would you pick, and why?

honestly, neither. same reason i dont do heroin. too expensive and will destroy my life.

Haven't heard anything about Saga of Ryzom but Wow is suppose to be cool. I personally can't wait for EQ2. I quit EQ several months ago and still haven't completely recovered from the withdrawl. MMORPGs are evil - they are.

Niether, EQ2! It owns! I find it better then both of those and I have played all three, currently still playing EQ2. Gave my WOW account to a friend...

ryzom looks prety cool.

http://www.ryzom.com/

if you want something new, i gues go wth this.

if you like the world of WOW then stick with it, either way both fine choices.

i would sugest go with something new likie ryzom.

I'm debating between WoW and EQ2 myself, and it's going to be tuuuuuf.

I played both WoW and Ryzom beta...personally, I prefer the quick pace of WoW. Ryzom is a deeper game as far as the skill system goes, but WoW is easier to pick up and play for short periods.

My plan: Ryzom for the novelty of some of it's features and implementation, then drop it when WoW is actually out (which will take X more months). I'm ignoring EQ2, partly because the bulk of my friends from EQ are going to play WoW, not EQ2.

Actually kronchev, I find a good MMORPG a lot *cheaper* than spending $40-$60 bucks once or twice a month on regular games which don't hold my attention nearly as long :p

- Qualm

Choose WoW me and 3 other people have begun work on creating a great guild and partying group. It would be awesome if some of you would like to join also. If you are interested pm me.

Looking forward to WoW personally. Got access to a beta account and it's a great game, but need a second account so my wife can also play.

Haven't played much lately because I got tired of soloing and prefer to group with friends and my wife, neither of which are ever on at the same time as me.

EQ2 also looks good, but I'm gonna wait to see how they implement everything. Played EQ for almost 5 years and it was a great game to start with, but got very boring towards the end.

theNoid said:
ignorance at its best.

thanks. the fact is that most people who play MMORPG's get pretty damn addicted to them, even if they refuse to acknowledge that (let me guess, youre an EQ player?). then you pay $10 a month. so not only do you not do other things except spend your time trying to level and camping spawns, but youre also paying to do it.

kronchev said:
thanks. the fact is that most people who play MMORPG's get pretty damn addicted to them, even if they refuse to acknowledge that (let me guess, youre an EQ player?). then you pay $10 a month. so not only do you not do other things except spend your time trying to level and camping spawns, but youre also paying to do it.
I'm going to have to agree with kronki here.

kronchev said:

Wrong. I dont nor have I ever played EQ. Assuming is well... you know the rest.

I'm not trying to start a war, but honestly ... denying the future is silly. Do you really, I mean really thing online gaming is going to be free in the future.. hell near future ?

I used to think JUST LIKE YOU, up until about 6 months ago. FPS are fun... limited, but fun. I've been playing PC games since I was 10, and I was riding "I'll never pay to play" train for years. I got tired of 20 person servers, I got tired of rampant hacking, I got tired of linear FPS gaming. I decided to

DO THE IMPOSSIBLE!

and think outside the box. Try it sometime.

Also.. when someone starts a thread stating.. I can't decide between these 2.. i want both, but which ? please help.... commenting "honestly, neither. same reason i dont do heroin. too expensive and will destroy my life." Its wasted, and offers no help. Try to be productive and help people, not drag them down because of your issues.

Think about this. You go to the movies or rent some movies or rent some games. Your looking at $5-20, depending on how many games/movies you rent and whether or not you take a date to the movies.

MMORPGs are $10-15 a month. That's an entire month of entertainment, vs. 1 night of entertainment for the above activites. (Well, 5 nights depending on where you rent the movies/games from). When you consider it in these terms, MMORPGs aren't THAT expensive.

jchahn said:
Think about this. You go to the movies or rent some movies or rent some games. Your looking at $5-20, depending on how many games/movies you rent and whether or not you take a date to the movies.

MMORPGs are $10-15 a month. That's an entire month of entertainment, vs. 1 night of entertainment for the above activites. (Well, 5 nights depending on where you rent the movies/games from). When you consider it in these terms, MMORPGs aren't THAT expensive.

I dont rent games. I rent movies, yes, but I get them pretty cheap. Hell for 17 a month I could get a subscription to Netflix. Movies are entertainment but theyre different from video games. Movies and books are more of being told something, while video games are a little more creative. Or destructive. Whatever youre playing :p point is when Im playing a game, I want to be doing something. when I watch a movie, I dont want to be doing something, I want to think, yes, but I want someones vision relayed to me. At least thats how I see things.

I don't see the point of what your saying. Entertainment is entertainment. 1 month of entertainment for $10-15 a month isn't bad. (I'm referring to MMORPGs.) To get a month of entertainment from movies, you'd have to rent ALOT of movies. Which will cost alot more than $10-15, I don't care where you rented them. Unless you watch the same movie over and over again all month.

Edit: Even if you watch the same movie over and over again for a month, it'll still cost more because of late fees. ;)

I'll take a look at everquest 2 again, but it didn't really spark my interest... I didn't really like the theme of it.

I think i'm leaning towards WoW now... but it's a hard decision to make.

Oh and to the people that say "dont waste your life" - I have a girlfriend, a job, school... I definitely have a "life" and I just need things to do at night because I'm an insomniac.

Oh and to the people that say "dont waste your life" - I have a girlfriend, a job, school... I definitely have a "life" and I just need things to do at night because I'm an insomniac.

Ahh poor fellow. Sorry for the insomnia. That sucks. But if you have a job, school, and *gasp* a g/f then I would highly NOT recommend EQ2 (or any of the others for that matter). The games are addictive. I for one have no life and enjoy being able to escape the real world. But with all of your responsibilities, it'd be difficult to escape and worse if you actually did.

EQ2 Trailer - check it out. It's fantabulous!!
http://www.3dgamers.com/games/everquest2/#filelist

I have a life as well. I choose to play MMORPGs because I enjoy them. Thats also why I like WoW, City of Heroes, and Risk Your Life; quick, easy, jump on for half an hour and be done games. I dont have hours at a time, but I can squeak in a couple here and there!

Sleep is for the WEAK!

I'm thinking of Ryzom myself. I like that it's a new world and all.

I'm also an MMORPG virgin. I've been looking to get into an MMORPG for the last few months but haven't found anything really interesting short of Ryzom and WoW. Thing I'm a big fan of in-depth plotlines...main reason why I play RPGs in the first place. So which one of the two do you guys tihnk will be story-heavy?

Looking forward to WoW, I think...

BTW... if you don't want to pay for MMORPGs thats fine, get the fk out of the thread... no one wants to hear how you can't afford it because your parents don't pay that much for sex :eek:

kronchev said:

You shouldn't try projecting your weakness and faults in others.

Anyways, is Ryzom out in final release yet? Or is it still beta?

The Batman said:
Sleep is for the WEAK!

I'm thinking of Ryzom myself. I like that it's a new world and all.

I'm also an MMORPG virgin. I've been looking to get into an MMORPG for the last few months but haven't found anything really interesting short of Ryzom and WoW. Thing I'm a big fan of in-depth plotlines...main reason why I play RPGs in the first place. So which one of the two do you guys tihnk will be story-heavy?

MMORPGs are never story-heavy. FFXI claimed to have one, and it sort of did, but even then, it comprised of less than 20% of the game imo... and the 'stories' were very general (you had a sense of achievement each time you completed each part, because there were benefits to the game... such as an airship pass, but the story themselves were very superficial).

I didnt really care much for Ryzom while I was in beta. I had a hard time staying interested in it, and the whole "SciFi Fantasy" thing doesnt really appeal to me.

My intention is to play EQ2. WoW will probably be a good game, but the lore and graphics are simply uninteresting to me.

I played EQ for a year, AO For 6 months, and SWG for 4 months. I also worked at a game stop for 2 years.

My only request is that anyone who plays these games days on end PLEASE Take a shower before you go out! Now I know its no one on these boards, but think of the people around you! While i worked at game stop, I saw 1 couple twice during my entire 2 years there, Both times were when EQ expansion packs came out, and both times there stench made my eyes and throat burn.

In any case, all these fantasy MMORPGs really aren’t exciting me all that much, AO was great until they screwed up the agent class. SWG was OK, and I liked playing it, but it got boring after a while.

What I want to see is a good Sci-Fi or Post-Modern RPG come out. I hope matrix is good, but I have my doubts :(

i'm in the beta test for WoW, and nothing else comes even remotely close.

i've stopped playing EVERYTHING, and pretty much only play WoW. doom3? wtf is that?

nuff said.

moralpanic said:
You shouldn't try projecting your weakness and faults in others.

Anyways, is Ryzom out in final release yet? Or is it still beta?
Not sure it's a weakness or fault of his, but I've observed what he's talking about too.

MMORPGs like Everquest are definitely addicting for some people. I don't know why but it's quite obvious to see that.

emorphien said:
Not sure it's a weakness or fault of his, but I've observed what he's talking about too.

MMORPGs like Everquest are definitely addicting for some people. I don't know why but it's quite obvious to see that.

Since you're so observant, tell me what are the criteria you're using for this definition of addiction? Is it the same as the DSM-IV? I bet whatever criteria you list, we can find 'addicts' in other areas too... chocolate eaters, novel readers, golfers, etc.

Bleh, kronchev posted a (in my opinion) humorous comment and it gets blown out of proportion...

I for one will play WoW, mostly because friends from EQ will get into it. I was an EQ addict for 4 years until I went cold turkey. A pretty serious addict too. Guess I'm weak, but I do know there were tons more like me in there. I'm glad to say I no longer feel the need to play, though.~

Anyway, to keep it on topic, I'll pick WoW only because it's a Blizzard game, old friends are getting into it, and I like the Warcraft lore.

unless your 30+ single and have lots of freetime or you live with your parents, dont have a job, and they spoil you with money (and dont force you to get a job) then just stay away from MMO;s

ok j/k

MMOs are just another thing to do with your spare time. I'm sure there's many people that spend more hours playing CS or Q3 or Warcraft 3 than your average MMO player spends playing the game of their choice.

Gardack said:
MMOs are just another thing to do with your spare time. I'm sure there's many people that spend more hours playing CS or Q3 or Warcraft 3 than your average MMO player spends playing the game of their choice.

true, but in most MMO's you are forced to play a ton to keep up with everyone else who plays a ton otherwise youll be lvl 20 and theyll be lvl 45 and you wont be able to go to the same dungeons with them etc.

And if you calculate the amonut of time/enjoyment you get out of paying $50 for warcraft 3. You have to play the MMO tons more to make it worth the money (counting hours of gameplay provided)

KoDt said:
true, but in most MMO's you are forced to play a ton to keep up with everyone else who plays a ton otherwise youll be lvl 20 and theyll be lvl 45 and you wont be able to go to the same dungeons with them etc.

And if you calculate the amonut of time/enjoyment you get out of paying $50 for warcraft 3. You have to play the MMO tons more to make it worth the money (counting hours of gameplay provided)

Who says you have to play a ton to keep up, keep up with WHO? People are always re-rolling new characters... and new people are buying the game. Lvling is not a race... looking at it as such wastes your time missing most of what the game has to offer.

Also, what do you mean if you calculate the amount of time/enjoyment... how can you calculate someone elses enjoyment level for how much time they put into a game? Possibly in your eyes that is how it is... but for MILLIONS of people out there that isn't the case. What are the biggest online games? MMOs.

I am burnt out on MMOs right now myself, but the broad statements are utter BS. Counter-strike is by far and away my favorite game, and has been for years... but before CS was Ultima Online, I still miss that game.

I watched a couple EQ2 movies, and now I'm interested again.. The graphics are nuts!

I'm now thinking that although I love saga of ryzoms idea and concept, it won't have the variety and depth that I want.

My question now is, out of those three, which do you think will have the most depth, like number of monsters, number of items, size of land, etc..

Oh, btw, i've never played an MMORPG before other than the saga of ryzom beta.

Back