Mmm, 2.8c is now at 3.5 & stable...

theHinge

Limp Gawd
Nothing special, just a newegg m0 running with stock intel hsf at 51c under 100% load.

Core voltage bumped up just a little to 1.55v in the BIOS to compensate for mobo sag under load to 1.534 effective.

Stoked & thought I'd share. :cool:

nice job
what is your room temperature?
i get 40-43 C idle and 64 C load
using stock intel hsf and as5 until i get sp94 or better fan.

ahh hell, just crank that think up! You can probably go a lot farther if you're still at 1.55v with 3.5Ghz. I'm running 270fsb @ 1.65v on my 2.8c. I think my board craps out at anything faster than 270fsb though...no matter what I do I can't get past 270. more voltage, ram dividers and voltage, 1 stick of ram instead of two, better cooling, etc....almost makes me wish I didn't sell off my Asus P4P800-D...wonder if it would have gone faster...

Same.. 1.55Vcore see sig..

Now that I have a 480W PSU I think I can run it a weee bit more stable than my crappy 300W one.. w00t! gonna update later when I install the thing today.

Temps are 50C full load, 35 C idle with ambient temps of 25 C with air conditioning or 35 C without a/c on!

EDIT: Stock HSF too :p

yes, please update. I'm interested in seeing how far your 2.8c can go if you've gotten that far already without big voltage increases. I'm bettin' around 3.8-3.9. Maybe 4Ghz if you had better cooling. mine was using 1.62v @ 3.5.

Ambient room temp is around 25c, will get a chance to play with her more in a few days. Def better gaming potential & higher OC poss with HT disabled so far.

Sandra benchmarks are right on top of 3.6 chips at stock speeds.

you can oc higher with HT disabled??? I never thought of trying that. In fact, I'll try that now just to see if I can bust 271fsb :)

damm you guys i have only gotten to 3GHZ with mine, 2.8c, stock fan, AS5. i did skimp on my mobo and got an Abit AI7 through. Other than that i have pc3200 corsair ram (1 GIG, and not the cheapest that corsair has) and an antec truepower 430 PSU if those last two items matter at all.

hmmm, or did i skimp, guy couple posts above, nst6863, has my mobo and overclocked higher than any of us.....anyone know how to check bios version? it in POST?

I like my AI7. Great overclocking board IMO. I'm using bios 1.7 right now. I can't seem to get over 270fsb no matter what I do though.

nst6563 said:
I like my AI7. Great overclocking board IMO. I'm using bios 1.7 right now. I can't seem to get over 270fsb no matter what I do though.

maybe you max out your ram, ddr500 = 250 fsb, try a 5:4 divider or something, or get ddr550=275 fsb +

yourdeardaniel said:
maybe you max out your ram, ddr500 = 250 fsb, try a 5:4 divider or something, or get ddr550=275 fsb +

the ram isn't maxed at all. I had it in a system with a 2.4c and it was running 1:1 at 285fsb 2.5-4-4-7 @ 3.2v.

I can run perfectly stable at 270fsb, but at 271 I can't get to the desktop in windows most of the time. Even if I up the voltage to something like 1.77v it still won't go...even though it runs 270fsb @ 1.67v. I've tried ram dividers, slower timings, upping AGP/NB voltage, cpu voltage, disabling HT, etc... I think I just hit my board's limit. I've seen some of HiPro's stability mods for the power regulators and NB but I don't want to go soldering away on my board until I can afford to replace it if it goes up in smoke.

Seraphim974 said:
damm you guys i have only gotten to 3GHZ with mine, 2.8c, stock fan, AS5. i did skimp on my mobo and got an Abit AI7 through. Other than that i have pc3200 corsair ram (1 GIG, and not the cheapest that corsair has) and an antec truepower 430 PSU if those last two items matter at all.

hmmm, or did i skimp, guy couple posts above, nst6863, has my mobo and overclocked higher than any of us.....anyone know how to check bios version? it in POST?

my last 2.8c 12 cap only did 3.2 and not really stable, hit 3.4 (at 1.75 vcore) boot into windows for few seconds then crash. that's a good mobo you have i think, good vcore, vdimm 3.2v, etc. i had some corsair LL pc-3200, not sure if it's the Asus P4C800-E mobo but had trouble using 5:4 divider, i don't like Antec's PSU that much (had a True Power 480w), and the voltages were too off for my liking, this enermax EG651-VE(FMA) is great. anyways your overclocking results will vary compare to others, it's more the luck of the draw. i love this 30 cap replacement intel sent me :)

nst6563 said:
the ram isn't maxed at all. I had it in a system with a 2.4c and it was running 1:1 at 285fsb 2.5-4-4-7 @ 3.2v.

I can run perfectly stable at 270fsb, but at 271 I can't get to the desktop in windows most of the time. Even if I up the voltage to something like 1.77v it still won't go...even though it runs 270fsb @ 1.67v. I've tried ram dividers, slower timings, upping AGP/NB voltage, cpu voltage, disabling HT, etc... I think I just hit my board's limit. I've seen some of HiPro's stability mods for the power regulators and NB but I don't want to go soldering away on my board until I can afford to replace it if it goes up in smoke.

so you had ur 2.4 in that AI7 @ 285 FSB? then it shouldn't be the motherboards limit right? maybe it's ur CPU's limit. 980 mhz overclocking for 2.8 is very good :D you could also try 3.2vdimm

yourdeardaniel said:
so you had ur 2.4 in that AI7 @ 285 FSB? then it shouldn't be the motherboards limit right? maybe it's ur CPU's limit. 980 mhz overclocking for 2.8 is very good :D you could also try 3.2vdimm

haha...no, it wasn't my 2.4c that was in my AI7. It was in an IC7 w/vdimm mod that a friend has. After we did the vdimm mod we put both our ram in there to see how far they'd go. He had some Corsair something or other and mine were Geil (yeah, I cheaped out but got lucky in the end). His would do better timings than mine but I can't complain.

Well so I slapped my new Thermaltake 480W Silent PurePower PSU and now I can overclock to 3.64 gigahertz with 1.68volts (reason being that my motherboard gives voltage options for 1.6 and then 1.68 -- no intermediate options [damn them]).

My ram timings remained the same with 2.5-3-3-6. Going to try looser timings and see if I can pump up more on the ram.

I still couldnt break 20k in 3dmark01SE. So I slapped a new 80mm fan on the side of my giant III and now I am going to try higher overclock on the video card too.

and now the obligatory linkage to show that I am not bullshitting :p

6423 3dmark03

19543 3dmark01SE

Nice OC. =)

With the ram timings (I think thats what they are).
Is it a case of the lower numbers the better or higher the better?

ALSO, will OCing affect comp longlivety?

I'm planning to OC this:

Intel Pentium 4 | S478 | 800MHz | 512KB Cache | HT | 2.8GHz
ABiT IC7-MAX3 | S478 | 800MHz FSB | OTES | 6C ATA RAID | Dual DDR | sIDE | IEEE 1394
Corsair | TwinX Ultra Performance | 512MB 3700 | 467MHz DDR RAM x2
ATI Radeon | 9800PRO | 128MB | AGP8x w/tvout | Dual VGA
WD | Serial ATA | 120GB | 7,200RPM HDD | 8MB Cache
iCute | Silver Case Tower | Side & Top Windows | 9 Fans (loud - but subs louder=P)
ThermalTake | 410W PSU | 2x 120mm Fan | 3-in-1 CPU Cooler /w CTRL
ISDN 128k/128k | Pings 60-180ms on average

Do you think I could get it to 3.5~ or is it different depending on situation?

thestewman said:
Nice OC. =)

With the ram timings (I think thats what they are).
Is it a case of the lower numbers the better or higher the better?

ALSO, will OCing affect comp longlivety?

I'm planning to OC this:

Intel Pentium 4 | S478 | 800MHz | 512KB Cache | HT | 2.8GHz
ABiT IC7-MAX3 | S478 | 800MHz FSB | OTES | 6C ATA RAID | Dual DDR | sIDE | IEEE 1394
Corsair | TwinX Ultra Performance | 512MB 3700 | 467MHz DDR RAM x2
ATI Radeon | 9800PRO | 128MB | AGP8x w/tvout | Dual VGA
WD | Serial ATA | 120GB | 7,200RPM HDD | 8MB Cache
iCute | Silver Case Tower | Side & Top Windows | 9 Fans (loud - but subs louder=P)
ThermalTake | 410W PSU | 2x 120mm Fan | 3-in-1 CPU Cooler /w CTRL
ISDN 128k/128k | Pings 60-180ms on average

Do you think I could get it to 3.5~ or is it different depending on situation?

timings, lower the better. like 2-2-2-5 is best. someone told me the 5 might corrupt HDs.. not sure. overclocking will reduce lifespan of your processor because of more stress on it (like more voltage, heat, i think). u should get some PC-4000 and do 1:1 ratio, so you have memory running in sync with FSB unless u care more about timings. overclocking depends on more on luck of the draw i think but if you have good cooling, memory, and motherboard, then you could go that high. some just have a great chip (eg. my 30 cap 2.8c :D, and can overclock easily then compare to a 12 cap). IC7-MAX3 is good for overclocking, only negative thing is that VTT and VDIMM issue for memory voltages of 2.9+ will have instability, unless you perform the mods. i think u should get a 470 or 480w+ PSU to ensure stable voltage rails (Enermax :p).

My SL6Z5 30cap just arrived today. As soon as I leave work I'm going to Arctic Silver it, and see how high I can get it. (Air cooling.) I read about these in this thread after I ordered it. It just happened to be one when I picked it up today. :D

yourdeardaniel said:
my last 2.8c 12 cap only did 3.2 and not really stable, hit 3.4 (at 1.75 vcore) boot into windows for few seconds then crash. that's a good mobo you have i think, good vcore, vdimm 3.2v, etc. i had some corsair LL pc-3200, not sure if it's the Asus P4C800-E mobo but had trouble using 5:4 divider, i don't like Antec's PSU that much (had a True Power 480w), and the voltages were too off for my liking, this enermax EG651-VE(FMA) is great. anyways your overclocking results will vary compare to others, it's more the luck of the draw. i love this 30 cap replacement intel sent me :)

I agree that the 12 cap 2.8C do seem to suck. I have a 12 capper that only does 3.2 ghz stable as well, although this is at default voltage with a full load temp of 43C. It won't even stay in Windows long at 3.3. If you can hit 3.5 ghz on 1.55V, you are very fortunate.

Been away for a few days...

Well, after bumping the Vcore to 1.575 in the BIOS we are now happily chugging along at 3.5GHz with HT enabled, after some more testing I may back down on the Vcore just a little bit. Memory now at 5:4 2.60v/normal timings for stability on the cheapo-RAM and sheer curiosity.

theHinge said:
Been away for a few days...

Well, after bumping the Vcore to 1.575 in the BIOS we are now happily chugging along at 3.5GHz with HT enabled, after some more testing I may back down on the Vcore just a little bit. Memory now at 5:4 2.60v/normal timings for stability on the cheapo-RAM and sheer curiosity.

Nice, I'm hoping to get the same with mine as soon as I can get my watercooling installed. And that's nice that you didn't have to raise the voltage too much, I'm trying to avoid high voltages, I need my proc to last for a little bit ;)

I'm getting load temps of up to around 68 degrees on my 2.8C 30cap. It's running at 3.2 at the moment with 233FSB. I noticed a lot of other people seem to be getting much lower temps at higher speeds. Is that too high? It's not very close to the warning threshold but still... I'm using AS5 and the Zalman cooler in my signature. I've got the speed limiter inline, but it's set to maximum. If I take that off, I'm sure the fan will run faster, but I'm trying to keep my system as quiet as possible. Options?

KickAssCop said:
How do I know about the caps on my processor?

Its an SL6Z5 with M0 stepping!

the sure method is to count them on the bottom of the cpu. If it has twelve, you'll see quite a few empty solder pads there. If it has 30, the bottom of the cpu will be full of caps.

since you have an M0, then chances are you've got 30.

J3RK said:
I'm getting load temps of up to around 68 degrees on my 2.8C 30cap. It's running at 3.2 at the moment with 233FSB. I noticed a lot of other people seem to be getting much lower temps at higher speeds. Is that too high? It's not very close to the warning threshold but still... I'm using AS5 and the Zalman cooler in my signature. I've got the speed limiter inline, but it's set to maximum. If I take that off, I'm sure the fan will run faster, but I'm trying to keep my system as quiet as possible. Options?

I'd say reseat your hsf. What voltage are you running at? Excess voltage will lead to a lot of heat. My cpu when clocked at 3.7Ghz has a load temp of 51c-55c. but my voltage is 1.55v.

You've got a lot better hsf than I do so you should have similar if not lesser temps than me as long as you're running a similar voltage.

J3RK said:

i'm getting 60 load and 41 idle, then again i'm using intel stock hsf..
you should take off hsf, remove AS5, and reapply AS5, reseat hsf, then take off the fanmate, and run it at full 2600 RPM for Zalman, not really audible.

I just got a SL6Z5 2.8C from ebay... have yet to try it out... looks good from what I read here...

pack date: 12/27/03

I saw 30 caps and did a double take...

I currently have my 2.8c running at 3.3 (236fsb)

does turning off HT really help overclocking ?

I only turned the HT off as an experiment, went up to 3.54 with HT on last night.

i got mine from newegg just a few days ago and it does 250mhz fsb but the ram wont do that high if that helps...

So pretty much there is no way for me to tell if I'm buying a 30 or 12 step? :( If it is a new cpu are the chances good that it is a 30 step? How do I tell? Sorry for the newb questions as you can tell i know jack about Intel. Thanks.

I've almost got my 2.8c at 3.5 now. my fsb is 244 and im taking it up little by little. This would be awesome if I could hit 250 cause I'm running pc4000 OCZ Gold. by the way my 2.8 is D1 stepping

What is the safest voltage for a P4 using stock cooling.. I can bump to 3.64 GHz on my P4 w/ stock cooling and 1.68volts but I am scared.. mommy?

So really how far should I go.. touch 1.7 volts and watch it fly or what?

Currently running at 3.5 Ghz coz did not notice any difference b/w 3.64 and 3.5!

Back