ML-44 in my new Aurora Lappy

TheGeekFreek

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, Ever since I stopped using the Athlon XP chips when I converted to core duo ive kinda fell out of th e AMD power ring and im not sure what is good and whats not..

I just bought a new laptop

Alienware Aurora M9700
2.4ghz ML-44 AMD64
2gb DDR 400mhz
Dual 256mb 7900 GS
Dual 100gb 7200RPM HDDs

Now, Overall I can see this is a pretty damned powerful lappy, but being that Ive seen that the CPU is only a S764 im kind of leary on its performance.. Can someone give me a run down on how this fares up to say a 2GHZ Core Duo..

I basically wanna see how much better this will run things in comparison to my old lappy

HP DV8000t
2.0ghz Core Duo T2400
2gb DDR2 667mhz
Dual 100gb 5200 RPM
256mb Nvidia Go 7600 (256mb Deticated + 256mb Shared)

I got a damned good deal on the aurora cause its a refurb and its neat cause its SLI (Which I have no experience with), But I just wanna know if its worth what Im paying (Technically 1000$)
My mom is buying my DV8000 from me for 1300$ and im getting the Aurora for 2350$..

Cliffs:
1) Is CPU overall better than my previous
2) Will processing power of my Aurora Dominate my DV8000t

Can no one tell me how they compare?
Maybe even jsut tell me the Core (2) Duo Equivalent..

your old one was dual core and you went back to single core? in single app programs the 2.4ghz will be better but the core duo will probably feel faster cause its dual core

yeah loading and stuff will be slower.... but games will be A LOT faster due to sli 7900gs compared to a crappy 7600 go...

yeah but he was really asking about the cpu performance and after using dual cores i can no longer recommend a single core over a dual core even for gaming.

Dammit.. Thats what I figured..
What are the chances of being able to drop a dualcore in the socket later?

The 2GHz Core Duo > the ML44 performance wise , we're talking 2 vs. 1.
As for single threaded performance , the ML44 will possibly have a slight advantage.

The point however is this : for $2350 you could have bought a laptop with a C2D which would trash the Aurora.

yeah.. originally i was gonna get a DV9000, but with how much hell I had to go thru to trade up my zd7000 for a DV8000, I just said Fxck HP.. and for Similar specs to the DV9000 Dell wanted almost 5K,so they can go fxck themselves...

And considerings im really only paying 1000$ (Mom is buying my DV8000 from me for 1300$) for an Alienware I cant really complain.. Ive never had an SLI system, eager to see what can be done with it.. Plus, Its black and Green, my Fav...

Overall, The only thing I am dissapointed in is the CPU.. But im sure I can find ways to make up for it.. That, and lack of ability to hold 4gb/DDR.. 2 Just aint enough anymore

yeah.. originally i was gonna get a DV9000, but with how much hell I had to go thru to trade up my zd7000 for a DV8000, I just said Fxck HP.. and for Similar specs to the DV9000 Dell wanted almost 5K,so they can go fxck themselves...

And considerings im really only paying 1000$ (Mom is buying my DV8000 from me for 1300$) for an Alienware I cant really complain.. Ive never had an SLI system, eager to see what can be done with it.. Plus, Its black and Green, my Fav...

Overall, The only thing I am dissapointed in is the CPU.. But im sure I can find ways to make up for it.. That, and lack of ability to hold 4gb/DDR.. 2 Just aint enough anymore

IMO you'd be better served with a single 7900GT/GTX , there are a few laptops with such cards.

I guess next time you should consider doing your research BEFORE spending that kind of money on a laptop. A single core would be a big time deal killer for me, regardless of how good the rest of the specs are.

Well, Honestly, It doesnt even need all these specs..
I Surf the net, IM, and do little gaming..

The only game I really play all that much is Half Life.. Yes Half Life..
Why in Gods name would I need Dual 7900's for Half life..
I dunno..

A dual core would be ideal over SLI for me because I do more multitasking than gaming.. Ill be hooking up 2 LCD's to my new lappy.. But ehh..

I can live with a single core as long as it performs well, but everything I do could be handled by a P3..

Like I said, This lappy is technically only costing me 1000$ since My mom is buying my other one so its not like im gettin ripped off here or anything..

Regardless of wether its the most super-fantastic top of the line octopuel-core quad SLI laptop 1tb DDR4 blah blah blah.. This one will suffice..

If it wasnt for the limited amount of time I have i woulda just waited for the m9750 because that will have C2D, but, looks like I fail on that part..

*Grumble*
stupid mom buying my laptop :p
*Grumble*

Seems to me your trying to justify buying the Aurora despite all advice to not buy it. You'd be better off buy a nice C2D laptop with a 7900 go then going with a single core .. despite the SLI video cards.

The only game I really play all that much is Half Life.. Yes Half Life..
Why in Gods name would I need Dual 7900's for Half life..
I dunno..

Again.. Regardless, I still have far more power than im gonna need.. I just really wanted to know what im losing and what im gaining out of this...

Also.. Have a few questions.. I recall my old AMD64 system have a 1600mhz bus.. Why does this new chip only have 800.. Plus, its only 754, I figured it woulda been 939..

Can anyone enlighten me as to how this is better?

all turions where skt 754 single channel memory, the 939 had the dual channel mem controller. the new turionx2s have the S1 socket which is 6xx pins or something. i think your HT is 800x2 =1600?

all turions where skt 754 single channel memory, the 939 had the dual channel mem controller. the new turionx2s have the S1 socket which is 6xx pins or something. i think your HT is 800x2 =1600?

yeah.. I dont get it either..

Half life is single threaded, IIRC, and at 2.4GHz plus 7900gs SLI, it will fly like a greased pig with wings and a jetpack.

What are you losing? multitasking.

Going AMD wasnt a choice.. the M9750 has C2D but its not out yet and will be FAR more expensive..

There is no option for an X2, I was just assuming it was an X2 with this lappy being close TotL... I dont know jack about AMD anymore.. If at all Possible, Could I buy and X2 and slap it in there.. If so, everything would be groovy..

noooo i as i said before turion and turion x2s use different sockets, the only turion that uses s1 is the mk 36,

Think there is any chance of a dual core comming out for my socket in the future?

Dunno where you got that 5k figure from. I can configure a top notch Dell Inspiron system with top of the line hardware for 2500. This is what I configured for 2500, which is extremely better than the aurora system.

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7400 (2.16GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB)
FREE Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium with 1GB of memory
17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ TFT Display with TrueLife™(glossy)
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS
Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Edition

The masses have spoken, and the one has obeyed!

Well, I hadnt paid for my laptop yet, have been waiting for the guy to send me the invoice because the BIN on the auction was 2700$ and we made an agreement for 2350$.. Well, hes taking forever to get back to me, so I sent him an email saying im just gonna take the hit for Non-Paying Bidder, told him why I made my decision, and said hey, at least I stayed with alienware.. The auction was made by alienware so im hoping they may just not file the NPB... Oh well.. But here are teh differences.. (Good differences colored Green)

WAS GETTING:
M9700 (Black and Green) (Refurb)
2.4ghz AMD ML-44
1gb DDR 400
Dual 256 7900 GS @ SLI
XP Pro
2x 100gb 7200 RPM HDDs SATA
8x DVD/RW
17" WUXGA 1990xsomething
Wireless B/G and Bluetooth
90 Day Warranty
2350$

NOW GETTING
M9750 (Black)
2.0ghz Core 2 Duo
1gb DDR2 667 (Pulling my 2gb 667 from my current lappy)
Single 512 9750 GTX
Vista Premium
8x DVD/RW
1x 80gb HDD (Pulling the 2x100gb from my current Lappy)
17" WXGA 1440x900
Wireless A/B/G/N
1yr Warranty
2358$ (8$ Difference, wtf)
+Tax and Shipping = 2665.12

So basically for the cost of Tax and shipping (315.12$) I get a 1yr warranty, Wireless A/N, New laptop smell, ability to upgrade to 4gb, Dual Core, and all the things that come with alienwarezez.. I only lose 2 things in this, I loose the green color and the higher resolution.. Everything else is a plus.. I will miss the green however, black and green are my fav colors..

Alienware is stupid, the ,9750 isnt even on thier Laptop page, you have to do a search for it.. Over at Notebookforums people were saying they just placed and order for the 9750 and I couldnt figure out how they were doing it.. So I searched and sure enough.. C2D version.. Needless to say.. im happy as a fxckin Clam..

Placed my order today, Estimated ship date is 6/4
Hopefully itll be here by this time next month....I cant freakin wait..

Thnx for all the input guys.. kinda funny that the AMD forum shot down the AMD and told me to go Intel..
*Chuckle*

Please give my bank account a moment of silence..

I think it was a typo and he means 7950GTX.

That's an excellent system and you should be very happy with it.

Back