• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

mkv audio in Win7

hiodie

Gawd
Joined
Aug 24, 2008
Messages
900
I do not know if this has been answered yet, but i have looked around for awhile without any luck.

I rip most of my movies to mkv. I use 5.1 ac3 for the audio track. Using my main HTPC, the audio sounds like I would expect. It is connected using an HDMI cable outputs only using the TV speakers.

However, using any of my other computers, the audio is very quiet. All of them use the analog stereo connection. I assume the issue is with the file trying to play 5.1 over 2.0 speakers without accounting for only having two channels. However, I cannot find any place to adjust this.

I do not use codec packs, nor do I want to start to fix this issue. I only have haali installed and use either WMC or WMP for playback. Is there a way to change how it handles the ac3 codec? If I encode the movie with 2.0 sound, the audio is fine, but I do not want to lose the surround sound for when I actually get a decent setup.
 
I have two suggestions:

First in audio properties highlight your playback device and click propeties. Then go to enhancements tab and select voulme equalization.

Second download an install AC3 Filter. I know your opposed to packs but this is only one program.
 
Ac3 filter isn't a codec pack, and IMO FFDShow is way better.

But either way, use one of those to downmix the audio properly to 2.0.
 
It sounds like you are letting the built in windows audio codec handle the ac3 audio playback. When you are using the digital connection via HDMI, it is using a digital passthrough. When you use analog, you are using the built in windows codec.

WMC and WMP have options where you can normalize the volume from a surround sound source.

You can verify what codecs are being used by using the "GraphStudio" app:

http://blog.monogram.sk/janos/2008/12/13/monogram-graphstudio-0310/
 
Back
Top