Mixing same series different label graphics cards

Methadras

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a Galaxy 460 GTX GC 1GB that was SLI'ed with another one, but one of them took a crap. I can't find this card anywhere, except for 1 place in a CompuUSA store in Chicago and they won't sell it to me over the phone. Ebay was as strike out for this card (Galaxy 60XGH6HS3HML GeForce GTX 460 GC 1GB).

So my question is, is it possible to get another GTX 460 1GB from a different manufacturer and SLI it with this one?

Not a definite answer:

As I understand it will work fine, provided that the clockings, RAM, ect. are the same. Though best to wait for someone with more knowledge to reply.

I remember this option becoming available a couple of years ago. Generally people still don't do it, complications can still happen, although unlikely. If the driver for some reason detects it as a different model, it won't work.

I don't see why not. I had no problems at all putting a Gigabyte and MSI GTX 480 in SLI. If there is a 2gb version of the GTX 460 that you may find more easily, (not sure), you could SLI that as well. You'll still have 1gb of v-ram available, as it follows the lowest common denominator, your current card.

If you get a 768mb version of this GPU, you'll be reduced to that amount as well.

Okay cool. I will be mixing my original Galaxy 460 GTX 1GB with an Asus 460 GTX 1GB. So they should be just fine from everything I've read here.

Back