Mixing ram speeds on Opterons

zandor

Supreme [H]ardness
I've got a dual Opteron machine that currently has 2x1GB PC2700 on CPU0 from my previous Athlon MP rig. It looks like it should work fine in theory, but has anyone tried running PC3200 on one CPU and PC2700 on the other?

I have done that, but only to test if the ram worked... I didn't test speeds at all. I don't think you'll have any problems though. The worst thing that would happen is it would all run at 2700. Though, I don't see why it wouldn't work at 2700/3200.

I dont see why it wouldnt work.

The one with slower ram (CPU) Will probably run a bit slower or something

visaris said:
I have done that, but only to test if the ram worked... I didn't test speeds at all. I don't think you'll have any problems though. The worst thing that would happen is it would all run at 2700. Though, I don't see why it wouldn't work at 2700/3200.

Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I guess I might as well just try it and find out. As you said, worst case it all just runs at PC2700. The one thing I'll have to do first is double check and make sure that option to force memory to PC2700 I thought I saw in the bios is actually there. If I do have any issues, forcing everything to 2700 should take care of them, unless of course it's a bad module problem.

It will work.
The PC3200 will be forced down to PC2700; the Opterons go by lowest SPD settings. BIOS should not need to be set for it, even.

Back