Mixing pumps?????????

Discussion in 'Water Cooling' started by Bio-Hazard, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard 2[H]4U

I've got a few extra D4 pumps laying around and I've been thinking about running one in series along with my MCP655. I know it'll run a little louder, but my D4 runs fairly quiet, but what I'm wondering is if this is a good idea or should the pumps be of the same make and model??????? All the dual pump systems I've seen in the past were running like pumps, are these pumps close enough in performance to work properly or not? I have 1 D4 that is a original D4 (370 GPH) from Laing and the other D4 (317 GPH) is a later version from PolarFlo.

2. R1ckCa1n

R1ckCa1n [H]ardness Supreme

You surely have the room so why not?

3. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard 2[H]4U

Just not 100% sure on mixing pumps with different specs and flow rates within the same loop. More research to do yet.

4. Erasmus354

Erasmus354 [H]ardForum Junkie

You wont have any problems mixing a D4 and D5

5. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard 2[H]4U

I was thinking about use the new PolarFlo D4 with the D5 seeing as they are both rated at 317 GPH, although the D5 does have a bit more head................ :eek:

6. Top Nurse

Top Nurse [H]ardness Supreme

So long as you put the more powerful pump in the front of the weaker pump everything will be copasetic.

7. Elysian

Elysian Gawd

i run 2 totally different pumps no problem... one is a newer hydor and the other is the old pump i got with my first water kit about 5 years ago...

8. Cathar

Cathar [H]ard|Gawd

It is only a bad idea when the system flow rate with the more powerful pump alone is higher than the open flow of the weaker pump.

Ideally its preferable if the system flow rate with the more powerful pump is no more than 2/3's the peak flow of the weaker pump if you actually want to notice any significant flow rate boost though.

With a D4 and a D5, there'll be no such issue, they'll work just fine together. The only thing to keep an eye on is the total pump heat dump into the loop. The water may end up being warmer by more than the increased flow rates help.

9. CoW]8(0)

CoW]8(0) [H]ard|Gawd

Isn't the flowrate the same throughout the entire loop? So would there be efficiency loss of the stronger pump if a weaker pump was mixed in?

10. Oline61

Oline61 Gawd

What about putting pumps in parallel?

11. Erasmus354

Erasmus354 [H]ardForum Junkie

That is better if you have a low resistance loop

12. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard 2[H]4U

I'm looking to get max flow through my Storm block............... :eek: My system components are as follows:

Swiftech Storm block
    PolarFlo GPU block
    Swiftech MCP 655 pump (right now)
    Home made Res (40 oz)
    2 dual fan heater cores (2-302) with 5/8 barbs
    dual Weapon shrouds per heater core w/Evercool 120mm Aluminum fans (80 CFM @ 12v) running at 7v normally.

I think the heater cores can deal with the added heat being dumped into the cooling loop. But the only way to be sure, is for me to test it out I guess.......... :eek: